Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

non-legal exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Default non-legal exhaust

hey guys, curious if anyone has gone through this awful phase i am. I purchased an exhaust unit thats a downpipe, u-bend delete, and straight piped resonator in one. however when i got to my local muffler shops (atleast a dozen) everyone says they cant do the work because unless the stock catalytic converter is damaged they cant by law replace them, and even when they do, it has to be stock. Is there any way around this or do i have to try and find someone that doesnt mind bending the rules a bit? BTW i live in Syracuse (central) New York.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Default RE: non-legal exhaust

New York, And California are two of the states that I know have very stringent emissions rules. I cant speak for other states as I am a Canuck and simply dont know. So Ill use what I know from Ontario Regulations.

In Ontario, most shops will do this kind of work, however the catalyc converter must be intact. Some parts of ontario have a yearly emissions testing system in place that you must have the test done before you can get your yearly liscence plate sticker. Im guessing New York is the same way? A lot of shops here wont do any work unless an aftermarket cat is installed, or the stock unit is in place. Some shops will not install an aftermarket exhaust unless it passes a noise test as well!

All In all I would suggest taking the exhaust in and seeing if they will do it if they can add on an aftermarket high flow cat. They might just go for this, other then that, perhaps picking up a small Mig Pak 20 or something might be an option if your handy with a welder, or even willing to learn.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 AM

Unless New York has a law on it, I'm calling BS on that. I would contact the Emissions Office and see what they say.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

thats b.s. i can see california doing that...but i've never heard of anyone having problems with that...everybody up here puts high flow cats on their cars

Old 08-19-2007, 10:25 AM

beliove it guys it is a true law.

but the thing is most places dont enforce it.

honestly save some cash crawl under the car and put it on your self you can eaily do it in a after noon i would say even if you have enver turned a wrench they cant be that hard to put on. .

rent a cutter from the loacktool rental and then take out your system and ge tthe flange welded on to it if you even need to i have been under my car for a while to remeber how it gose but i know i did look at it and didnt think it would take more then a hour or so to do the whole job.

Good luck.

Anothe roption is to call a place in Jersey and see if they can do it for you or even P.A. as far as that gose i knwo there are folks in that area that can do it for ya.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

another thing you could do is talk to one of those exhaust shops and tell them you'll pay them cash, that you need no receipt, and go to one of the little guyz, and chances are they'll do it