Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cat back

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Default cat back

im trying to understand what cat back means in exaust systems like the borla or corsa.what does it do or mean?when i look at flowmaster it dont say catback is it in the muffler.i have more questions onmufflers in general but i will wait to figure this out first!thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: cat back

cat back means every piece of exhaust after the cat convertor

if your getting one for you car make sure they get rid of the u-bend when you get it

Old 08-17-2007, 07:38 AM

[align=center]Hi `Jeff, the below link may answer some of your questions.[/align][align=center]EnJoy the read : ) `Space[/align][align=center]
Exhaust system

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[/align]
Jump to: navigation, search
[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
Exhaust pipe of a car
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
An exhaust system is usually tubing used to guide waste exhaust gases away from a controlled combustion inside an engine or stove. The entire system conveys burnt gases from the engine and includes one or more exhaust pipes. Depending on the overall system design, the exhaust gas may flow through one or more of:
Click below link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_system
[/align][/align]

Old 08-17-2007, 03:06 PM

The typical catback systems don't have the U-Bend removal. You actually need to have an exhaust shop refabricate one or purchase one of the downpipe combinations available. I dropped about $800 on my downpipe and catback system.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:03 PM

ok thanks so if i was to get a cat-back system does that include a downpipe?or do i still have to get one.do the exaust systems come in 2.5 or 3.0 in diameter?when i was looking at them i dont think it said either or.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:56 PM

I have not seen any of the common websites include a downpipe with the catback system: Dynomax, Corsa, Borla, etc just connect to the current downpipe you have.

The downpipe you typically buy seperately.

<shameless plug> Mine is still up for sale for $250 which is now $389 at 3800performance.com. </shammeless plug>

Old 08-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What I'm interested to know is about the U-bend. I assume this is the U shaped bend in the pipe that goes around the gas tank. Howare you eliminating the bend? Are you running a straight pipe under the gas tank or what? If so, isn't that kind of dangerous? I'd really like to know, because I'm not too happy with the sound of the stock exhaust. I'd like to replace it with a better one. But I need to keep it emissions legal. So eliminating the cat is out of the question for me.

Thanks, as always, you guys are great.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:38 PM

The U-bend is right after the cat. In the below pic, it is normally right where the oxygen sensor bung is.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay, I see now. I checked out the Monte Carlo section of partsforyourcar.com. They sell a U-bend replacement piece with a mounting position for the oxygen sensor.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/WB5001/MCEXH/...placement.html

Another dumb question. Do the cat-back systems like Borla and Corsa include somewhere to mount the oxygen sensor? They don't mention anything about it. If not, do I need to drill a hole in the pipe somewhere and mount it myself?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 PM

I've heard someone have problems with the PFYC U-bend but I don't remember where. I recommend getting the whole pipe. I'd recommend www.3800performance.com or www.zzperformance.com check out their exhaust links.

Quick Reply: cat back