Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Intake!

Sup everyone, FINALLY got a new intake and put it on Saturday. After about an hour or so installing it lol i forgot to put the frickin MAF sensor on haha. After dealing with that and clearing my check engine light (from running the car without the MAF sensor) I finally took it out for a spin, ran an "on-road" dyno and was pretty happy with sound more than performance (its sucking in hot air for a while till i make it a fender well). Before I baselined at 200hp (im guessing crank since LS is rated @ 180hp) and it was raised to 203 after the install. But MAN does it roar when you get on it. Here's some pics of before, and after. Yes, yes, yes I know it is sucking in hot air for now, that is...till I extend it into the fender. Sounds sick, I'll be posting a vid of it within the next day or two. Also, it feels like I've lost some power low end. Sluggish of the line and just doesnt have the pep it used to flooring it at 35mph. It's weird, I floor it then when it gets to 3k rpm and higher it really picks up lol; VTEC!!! haha jk. But no seriously, has anyone else felt this way? Maybe because its sucking in hot air?

Before:

After

Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

is the acceleration slow to begin with or after it warms up a bit? it will be like that after warming up because of exactly what you said, its sucking up warm air.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 AM

Well, your problem is most likely this.. Did you get that intake from "chrome intakes"?? If so, there intakes do not come with a high flow filter. Its a conical regular flow, non oilable filter. Its basically a replacment intake system. Get yourself a new filter from like spectra or somthing and you might feel a little difference. Keep in mind, Im basing this theory off the thought that you got this intake from chrome intakes, so if its a reputable intake or brand, disregard this post. For sure looks cool

Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 AM

The filter is fine.

The problem is that you are sucking in super heated air and fan wash. If you could scan IATs, you'd see them in the 140-150ish range- believe me, I tried a setup like that and dealt with insane IATs. Our Monte's have terrible airflow under the hood.

Once you're moving, you're IATs are probably dropping 10-20* and providing a few more horsepower that you're feeling.

Once you get that filter into your fender you'll be in much better shape. As of now, you're probably down a few horsepower from stock.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
is the acceleration slow to begin with or after it warms up a bit? it will be like that after warming up because of exactly what you said, its sucking up warm air.
Pretty much both

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Well, your problem is most likely this.. Did you get that intake from "chrome intakes"?? If so, there intakes do not come with a high flow filter. Its a conical regular flow, non oilable filter. Its basically a replacment intake system. Get yourself a new filter from like spectra or somthing and you might feel a little difference. Keep in mind, Im basing this theory off the thought that you got this intake from chrome intakes, so if its a reputable intake or brand, disregard this post. For sure looks cool
lol yeah, its from "Chrome Intakes" I was tired of hassling with the brick of a MAF sensor. Thanks dude

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
The filter is fine.

The problem is that you are sucking in super heated air and fan wash. If you could scan IATs, you'd see them in the 140-150ish range- believe me, I tried a setup like that and dealt with insane IATs. Our Monte's have terrible airflow under the hood.

Once you're moving, you're IATs are probably dropping 10-20* and providing a few more horsepower that you're feeling.

Once you get that filter into your fender you'll be in much better shape. As of now, you're probably down a few horsepower from stock.
I agree. It ranges from 104* to 120*. Once I get my paycheck Tuesday, and after I get home from class. I'm going to make it into a fender well. I agree with that last statement. But am I going to still have that growl? I like that growl when I open it, it makes people look lol like "holy **** what the hell was that" lol

Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM

It actually might be even louder in the fenderwall- my fenderwall intake on my Monte is at least as loud as my Wizaired on my Regal. On the Monte, the blower whine kind of reverberates around in the fender and ends up being really loud. I'd imagine yours will be similar (with intake noise, since you won't have any whine, obviously).

Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Well, since you did get that from chrome intakes, I have to suggest you do what I did and go buy some extra piping from somwhere and snake it behind the headlight and get a new filter. I actually just bought my new filter like three weeks ago and I couldnt belive I was using that filter from CI. The ones they sell at autozone are very good quality. If you do go and get one, you'll need to get the 20 dollar one not the 25 dollar one, it wont fit. But just wait till you do and hear the difference from the two filters. I know even the one you have now seems like it made it louder, and it did im sure, but you're gonna get the "mean" sound out of a real high flow from spectre. Nothing wrong with chrome intakes though, even that elbow you got there is worth more than you paid for the couplers and the filter with the pipe, so you're ahead already.
EDIT: I just saw you asked if you're still gonna have the growl? YEAH! With the filter I said about at autozone, its gonna be about twice as loud as the filter you have now, and its gonna give it a better sound. Along with the little whistle you'll get. Just wait, you wont know what Im actually talking about till you hear it yourself I look forward to hearing how you like the new filter.

Last edited by wht02monte; 08-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 PM

203 hp? get out of here! a 20 hp gain from a intake, more like 8 hp if your lucky and to boot its a hai. even a fwi u would only see a max of 10. just to tick off people with civics and eclipses floor it past them and shout "VTECH!" out the window!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM

"When someone tells you "Dont get a GM car" instantly tell them "Dont get a GM car you cant handle" and simply walk away with a smile "

What happend to the other sig man!??

Old 08-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by silverstreak
203 hp? get out of here! a 20 hp gain from a intake, more like 8 hp if your lucky and to boot its a hai. even a fwi u would only see a max of 10. just to tick off people with civics and eclipses floor it past them and shout "VTECH!" out the window!
Haha

Quick Reply: New Intake!