Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): New headers, and exhaust layout?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Default New headers, and exhaust layout?

Hi All.
I will be replacing my manifolds with TOG and maybe magnaflow mufflers, but will consider something that is deeper sounding. Money isn't really the problem.

The Other Guys Exhaust Headers: 3800 Performance

I will be possibly be getting rid of the catalytic converter and putting in a test pipe in. But in all actually I just want true dual exhaust, but is this possible with the 6th generation and this kit? If it is possible what layout would I do? Ive read a back pressure is needed for correct torque and heard short headers burn up cats. I know that it is easiest to put a high flow catalytic converter on but I want her to sound deep and breathe as easily as possible.

Thank you for your time and input.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Sorry i cant help a whole lot, but for my exhaust system i did a resonator delete and i have a camaro catback system w/ dual exhaust tips...it sounds pretty deep and loud no doubt!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

TOGs still collect into a single downpipe, then Y-pipe out to 2 mufflers. Not a true dual, and I have heard a few complaints about drone with the set up.

Keep in mind this set-up will throw a CEL, and if you have emissions in your area, you can fail. Unless you have a tune to remove the P0420 code.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
TOGs still collect into a single downpipe, then Y-pipe out to 2 mufflers. Not a true dual, and I have heard a few complaints about drone with the set up.

Keep in mind this set-up will throw a CEL, and if you have emissions in your area, you can fail. Unless you have a tune to remove the P0420 code.
I see that they have a inlet pipe,I was thinking of welding a piece of stainless on it and have the other piece go sepereate. I have no emissions check, electrical tape covers the cel lol. What were the complaints? Were they the same ones a few years ago about TOG? I read about SLP but heard they hang lower than the average headers.

Last edited by Floydcarlo; 07-21-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by HIxArsenaL
Sorry i cant help a whole lot, but for my exhaust system i did a resonator delete and i have a camaro catback system w/ dual exhaust tips...it sounds pretty deep and loud no doubt!
I thought about the dual exhaust tips, but I have the factory ground effects. Would they work okay?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Floydcarlo
I see that they have a inlet pipe,I was thinking of welding a piece of stainless on it and have the other piece go sepereate. I have no emissions check, electrical tape covers the cel lol. What were the complaints? Were they the same ones a few years ago about TOG? I read about SLP but heard they hang lower than the average headers.
Not sure I'm following how you want to put it together? The TOG set up, has the front 3 collectors go into the crossover, the crossover goes into the rear collector section, and that all funnels into the downpipe which connects to the stock cat-back. I think you'll have to do a good amount of cutting and welding to have the crossover be the second exhaust, that it wouldn't even be worth starting with TOGs.

I don't believe the TOG system drops too low where you have to worry about the downpipe like the SLP.

The complaints were drone and sound. Too loud on the highway and what-not.

And don't just electrical tape the CEL, it's a good light to actually have. Just look into the PCM tuning since money wasn't an issue to start

Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Floydcarlo
What about the SLP headers? I run a set and don't have any issues...Some have had issues with the header contacting the sway bar when getting into reverse (harder than norm) but that could easily be fixed by flipping the bar. I have no issues with the SLP's in my car, fwiw.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Not sure I'm following how you want to put it together? The TOG set up, has the front 3 collectors go into the crossover, the crossover goes into the rear collector section, and that all funnels into the downpipe which connects to the stock cat-back. I think you'll have to do a good amount of cutting and welding to have the crossover be the second exhaust, that it wouldn't even be worth starting with TOGs.

I don't believe the TOG system drops too low where you have to worry about the downpipe like the SLP.

The complaints were drone and sound. Too loud on the highway and what-not.

And don't just electrical tape the CEL, it's a good light to actually have. Just look into the PCM tuning since money wasn't an issue to start
Or just get an o2 emulator?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is near impossible to make a true dual setup on a front wheel drive car because the front manifold will always be longer than the rear and never be equal length.

Also you can get a deep idle but with this as stated highway drone is bad and it's raspy in high rpms. The 3800 will never sound like a v8.