Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

new exhaust for 3.9 LT

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thought the Magnaflow exhaust was Stainless. I had a Magnaflow cat back on my 05 V6 Mustang and it was stainless and held up pretty well the 2 winters I drove it.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 PM

a lot of ppl put magnaflows on there but i live in a state that snows so i didnt want to pay the same price for a setup that rusts. magnaflows sound great too, but are for fair weather states. my dad put a stainless cat on his jeep about 6 months ago and its rusted though already. but we do get a lot of snow/salt.
Straight off magnaflow's site:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=523

Material: 100% Stainless Steel
its the exhaust for the 3.5 and 3.9- and for $1000, it sure better be stainless!

That exhaust would last longer than the car.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Chad (bumpin96) thanks for all your help, I appreciate it very much....

Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
15 Year Member

bump, I thought for sure I would get more input from the weekday guys on this?

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I am planning on swapping out my mufflers and tips with the following, hopefully I get a better sound out of my 3.9?? also if anyone here has any better suggstions please let me know, thanks

not sure if the links here will work? I had to do a copy and paste thing which I am not very good at, hope it works...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MP...s_ss=yahoomail

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MP...s_ss=yahoomail
Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I took my car to a local meineke and asked what I could do and they said, why would you trash a completely good cat and resonator for a cat back system that costs anywhere form $700 to $800! so, I'm just gonna replace my mufflers with magnaflow mufflers and new tips. Most people here would also suggest the same! Hope that helps....
Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS
Hopefully Chibiblacksheep will chime in on this thread and defend his Magnaflow exhaust. Lol.
Chibi, Mamonte, anyone......

Old 03-29-2010, 05:55 PM

i have a magnaflow exhaust on my car for the past two winters. resonator is still clean and shiney i pulled the mufflers off about a year ago. the actual piping is rusted though. if you really want i can post pics. its not a rotten mess just surface rust.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i have a magnaflow exhaust on my car for the past two winters. resonator is still clean and shiney i pulled the mufflers off about a year ago. the actual piping is rusted though. if you really want i can post pics. its not a rotten mess just surface rust.

thanks for the response, no pics needed, thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Could be 400 series stainless for the piping? There are types of stainless which will develop a light surface rust, but will take far longer than mild steel to rust through.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 PM

im just saying from my dads personal expirience, it does come with a warranty and was replaced.

there are 2 kinds of stainless and the t409 that magnaflow uses is a lower quality stainless that will surface rust and requires scuffing to keep clean.

im not downing magaflow i think its a quality product that sounds great.

i do a lot of research b4 i buy anything over 100 bucks. do a seach on t409 and rust, there are many topics on the subject.

any metal WILL rust, some just last longer than others. in ohio they use a lot of salt and expiement with things like beet juice and such. so in my research i found that t304 will hold up and look better in the long run.

also i know its not the same engine, but there is a vidon youtube of a challenger with the 3.5/slp loudmouth II setup, and i think it sounded great so i gave it a shot. and im impressed. so far.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like its gonna be just the mufflers and tips for now. Maybe save my money for some engine mods sometime.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hands down, I defend and recommend Magnaflow exhaust, especially on a V6. IMO it is the least raspy sounding muffler for the V6's.

Magnaflow mufflers are made of 304 stainless steel, at least some of them are. I am almost 100% positive the exhaust shop that did my mufflers told me my Magnaflows were 304 stainless steel. Also, the GM-Cat back exhaust (which is made by Magnaflow IS a 304 stainless steel system).

IMO unless your factory exhaust is completly rusted through, there is really no need to spend all that money on a cat back exhaust. If you replace the mufflers, resonator, and tips, you essentially have yourself a cat-back exhaust set up for right around $350-400 (thats about what I paid for my exhaust set up on my 3.5L) I have dual Magnaflow mufflers, tips, and a 14" Magnaflow resonator. Sound great, and has held up really well over the almost 3 years its been on the car and 100,000+ miles. (I do live in CA, so winters are not much of an issue around here).

Quick Reply: new exhaust for 3.9 LT