Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need help with my CAI..

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Question Need help with my CAI..

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum so Idk if I'm even posting this in the correct forum I have a 04 monte ss dale Jr supercharged and I recently put a k&n cold air intake on it the dang thing cost 215 bucks and I'm having nothing but problems with it. OK so my problem is the tube that connects to my MAF keeps falling off it has the rubber boot and it's tight it has a metal box type thing that the tube goes thru before connecting to the filter my question is when my motor rocks back is the tube catching on the metal box thing or what's causing it to fall out. Is there someone else who bought this kit and had the same problem? Please help I'm not against cutting the wall off the box if that's what needs to be done. Please post and help a newbie out **thanks
*I'm trying to get a picture uploaded but it's being a pain on my phone lol

Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the engine is rocking enough to separate the filter from the intake tube I would check your engine and strut mounts. There should be slight movement of the engine, but not to the point of pulling the intake tube out of the filter. Also make sure the clamp is tightening down properly on the intake tube.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM

It's not an issue of the filter coming off its an issue of the tube pulling off of the intake itself
Thank you for the reply and info I will also look into those things.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This happened to me a lot. The K&N kit is terrible. All it does is let hot engine air into the intake, and it's what you don't want.

With that said, the way that I "fixed" it, was taking the bracket that bolts to the bottom of the intake tube, to the engine and actually bending that bracket so that it pushes against the TB again.

But that kit is long gone off my car, don't have any pictures for you, sorry!

How recently did you put this on? Can you actually return it??

Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 AM

I put it on about a month ago I can prolly return it I ordered it thru auto zone because they did price match from summit what would be a better actual CAI maybe a fender well intake?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i believe the fender well intake is well known and recommended by a fe of the members, i almost have one myself i jus need to add the plastic piece to cover the filter, i bought a bunch of metal tubing that was meant for a honda CAI and jus rearranged the tubing. I do LOVE the sound it makes when it sucks in the air tho!!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check out cold air inductions inc. I have an intake from them and its well built. Another good intake is the wizaired intake sold from zzp. Or for a cheaper option, build your own fender well intake.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 PM

Thank you for all the info one last question what one would you recommend for a l67 that is only going to drop to a 3.4 Pully and give a really whiney sound

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What other mods you going to do to drop to that 3.4?

I would recommend the coldairinductions kit, just because of the fit and finish. I have one on my 2013 Camaro and I absolutely love the look of it.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 AM

I am unsure of other mods I made a thread about what mods should I do in the engine and tranny section could I see a pic of the intake on your camaro so I can see if I like the looks of it please

Also does it have a pcm tray or mounts for it that's why I bought the k&n one because I had the tray I don't like the idea of zip ties or leaving it hang i like to keep it looking pretty plus do u know anything about the thrasher ones from 3800preformance?

Last edited by SS-L67-Jr; 09-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help with my CAI..