Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): my exhaust

Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Default my exhaust

Stock exhaust with thrush mufflers and res delete. Anyway to get rid of that rattle?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by soaxin
Stock exhaust with thrush mufflers and res delete. Anyway to get rid of that rattle?
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDQuhxfsqIA&feature=youtube_gdata_playe
Iv never heard the rattle that high.... thats strand to me. Thoes are chambered mufflers?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

by rattle are you meaning the "snap" sound at the end of the rev? if so this is known to me as rasp and to eliminate that you need a resi or atleast a big glass pack in place of the resi.... the resi is what eliminates a lot of the rasp.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glass packs generally work better when you have an X or H pipe standard duals. But since there isn't one that's generally the sound that shows up...

My recommendation...
Dump the glass packs for a good chambered muffler.

Most thrush mufflers have a packing inside.. That causes that kinda sound..eventually the glass will burn out... and completely change the sound of the exhaust for better or worse...

When I was younger...
Me and my buds would pour gasoline in them and set them on fire..
Burn all that crap out of them and dump it out. Its amazeing how much better they sound with true duals and either an H or X pipe VS the system we have to run...

I found..That Chambered mufflers still give you a great tone without the droneing but you also don't end up with that raspy sound during deceleration.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-15-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI

I found..That Chambered mufflers still give you a great tone without the droneing but you also don't end up with that raspy sound during deceleration.
The loudest sound I get is when I let off the gas right after flooring it and it was about to change gears. A really loud growle/roar. Thats why I like my chambered mufflers. Also glad they came with the car so I didn't have to pay the Borla price.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 PM

What yall think?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
by rattle are you meaning the "snap" sound at the end of the rev? if so this is known to me as rasp and to eliminate that you need a resi or atleast a big glass pack in place of the resi.... the resi is what eliminates a lot of the rasp.
Originally Posted by soaxin
What yall think?
i think what i already wrote above earlier

Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 PM

Hi Have a 2001 SS with CID went to aplace in in Worcester Mass caalled Lou's custom exhaust had the resinator removed the welded a tall bung for o2 sensor so it won't pull a code so when it came time to for the mufflers they had me come into the garage and listen to a couple of different ones and they also mentioned about putting a glass pack were the resonator was if I did not like the sound but the mufflers I picked are great if it was me put a glass pack there unless you have a good custom exhaust place to go

Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

First cat back system I installed had Thrush mufflers, great back in the day, however, very disappointing now a days... Mine would rasp just like that and it drove me nuts... Now I run Magnaflow stainless and they are much better... Unfortunately, our motors will always produce some rasp... Good luck... If you do go the glass pac route, post back results...

Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM

I have res delete and thrush chambered mufflers on my 01 ss. It sounds pretty good but kinda loud. Gonna put a glass pack in place of where the res was

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): my exhaust