Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
The Summit Fully Welded mufflers are the more quiet of the two. They are more like turbo mufflers, where as the Summit Race mufflers are more like Flowmasters. Neither are stainless steel so I painted them both in gloss black high temperature engine paint.
really? the high temp gloss paint works on the mufflers? i thought it might get too hot lol i'll have to remember that

(((i swear i should have a notebook in front of me to take notes anytime i'm on this forum )))

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I love my Magnaflows!

Oh and as Chibi said BAD idea on the straght pipe...it will sound like CRAP!
i've heard magnaflows are the best but i havent heard them yet. i really need to take the time out to go to youtube and look it up. but like do the magnaflows make more a rumble sounds (kinda like a vette) or more of a ricer noise? i'm really looking for a rumble

Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 PM

anyone on here just taken their mufflers off completely, connect straight pipes to the missing link of the system and just kept it like that?
It sounds nasty and raspy, and will likely be louder than you really want it. Usually, the more 'straight through' of a muffler you put on the 3800's, the more raspy they get. I'm sure there are vids on youtube and such.

if it sounds weird bcuz of the supercharger then i can just get clamps and put the stock mufflers back on
The supercharger has nothing to do with the exhaust. The upside to that is you can look at videos of exhaust on NA and SC cars, and if you like the sound on one- it will sound the same if you replicate all the exhaust on the other.

what kinda headers would you recommend? i looked into some stainless steel ones but they are like 1000 bucks! do you know of any cheaper ones that are still good lol
There are stainless ones on ebay just over $300 (SSAC I believe is the name). Quality will be worse than the bigger name brands, but performance and usage will be the same. Keep in mind that many of the cheaper brands are knockoffs of the design of the major brands anyways.

really? the high temp gloss paint works on the mufflers? i thought it might get too hot lol i'll have to remember that
You have to remember, they sell paint that can go on headers, brake calipers, BBQ grills, etc- stuff that gets WAY hotter than exhaust way back at the muffler, I mean that far back you aren't really talking all that much heat. Honestly, I don't really even think a high temp paint would even be a requirement, although it definitely wouldn't hurt.

i've heard magnaflows are the best but i havent heard them yet. i really need to take the time out to go to youtube and look it up.
I have a single manganflow on my monte, and I personally hate it. (link in my sig if you want to hear, although it won't be even remotely comparable to what it would sound like on your car). Idle is very deep and clean, but its nasty and raspy at part throttle (you can kinda tell at the end).

but like do the magnaflows make more a rumble sounds (kinda like a vette) or more of a ricer noise? i'm really looking for a rumble
Really most of the aftermarket mufflers have fairly similar sounds- your exhaust note is dictated mostly by your engine (head design, cam, etc)- all you can really do is modify certain frequencies up or down with a muffler. So you'll never get a vette sound or a ricer 4 cyl sound out of your 3800. If you watch enough videos of 3800s with just different mufflers, you'll start to see what I mean.

One other thing that might be worth a shot- when I had the exhaust done on my monte, I told them I wanted the quietest aftermarket muffler they had (had been running open DP and it was crazy loud)- once they ran it to the back, they brought out about 4 or 5 mufflers and just slipped them on so I could hear it (one guy sat in the car to give it a little gas, the other guy slipped the new muff on and held it there for me to hear). I don't know how many shops are willing to do it, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Its not like it damages the mufflers any just being on there a few seconds anyways.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-24-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 AM

I know a lot of people recommend Magnaflows, they sound okay at idle, but when revving I'd compare it to a chainsaw. I've seen several on youtube vids, wasn't overly impressed. If you do youtube video searching for exhaust sounds you'll want to be careful, the sound a S/C 3.8 and a N/A 3.8 with the same exhaust system also seem to vary. The two that I've heard that are the best are Dynomax, has no ricey or chainsaw sound to it at all, or Borla. Borla will cost you almost $300 per muffler, I'm not sure what Dynomax charges per muffler, but it won't be anywhere near that much. Also, as chibiblacksheep said, a powerlog, downpipe, and hi-flow cat all matted together will also help the exhaust of your car. If you just want it a little bit louder, while keeping the same tone, that might be the best way to go, otherwise check out Dynomax. I have a clip for an '03 SS 3.8 right here. Check it out.

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=DSCF0284.flv

Old 09-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In a few months (money and weather dependent) I'm going to have a magnaflow cat-back on my car, then you'll be able to hear one :P

Old 09-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

The only reason I sprayed my mufflers is because they're only anodized aluminum (not stainless) and I don't want them to rust out.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
The only reason I sprayed my mufflers is because they're only anodized aluminum (not stainless) and I don't want them to rust out.
Aluminum doesn't rust.

You mean aluminized (sp?) mild steel?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Aluminum doesn't rust.

You mean aluminized (sp?) mild steel?
Yep... That's it!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

aluminum doesn't rust!?

:goes outside to wrap his mufflers in reynolds wrap:

Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
aluminum doesn't rust!?

:goes outside to wrap his mufflers in reynolds wrap:
Just make sure you take your lunch out of it first.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yea, a burger on the muffler might start smelling pretty good as it cooks on there...

Quick Reply: Muffler question...