Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Default Muffler question...

Alright so I've been debating which type of muffler I wanna get on my monte. I don't really have the money right now to get any of them at the moment but has anyone on here just taken their mufflers off completely, connect straight pipes to the missing link of the system and just kept it like that? I really want to do it and keep the stock mufflers bcuz then if it sounds weird bcuz of the supercharger then i can just get clamps and put the stock mufflers back on until i get enough money to buy mangaflows or somethin. With the mufflers I got now the car does have a slight awesome lil rumble when you stand at the back of the car and i would love to just be able to amplify that sound ya know. But idk do you guys think it would be a bad idea to cut the mufflers off completely?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

straight pipes sound HORRRRRIBLE.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Try Summit Race mufflers. They're cheap, and come highly recommended by Mr. Burns, however, he does have the heart of a V8, so I'm not sure how they'll sound on your 3.8L SS V6.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
straight pipes sound HORRRRRIBLE.
ha do they? i havent heard any montes in person with something other then a stock muffler on them so i didnt know how it would sound at all. i mean i absolutely love the way mine sounds, i just wish there was some way to make it louder without doing much to the noise ya know. but i have no other idea on how to do that =[

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Try Summit Race mufflers. They're cheap, and come highly recommended by Mr. Burns, however, he does have the heart of a V8, so I'm not sure how they'll sound on your 3.8L SS V6.
yeahh. its so hard having a S/C V6 bcuz its soo easy to go wrong with the sound ya know. i've never heard of summit race mufflers but i'll most def look into it

Old 09-22-2009, 12:20 PM

15 Year Member

If you get headers / powerlog + downpipe + high-flow cat and then do some muffler work you should be able to change the pitch enough without making it raspy.

I say just save up a bunch of money, go to an exhaust shop and have a talk with them, maybe get examples of how stuff will sound

Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
If you get headers / powerlog + downpipe + high-flow cat and then do some muffler work you should be able to change the pitch enough without making it raspy.

I say just save up a bunch of money, go to an exhaust shop and have a talk with them, maybe get examples of how stuff will sound
alright i'll do that. i'm thinking that i'm probably gonna have to save up for major mods like that until the summer and then just have it all done at one time ya know. i think that might be the easiest way to go about all these mods. what kinda headers would you recommend? i looked into some stainless steel ones but they are like 1000 bucks! do you know of any cheaper ones that are still good lol

Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM

15 Year Member

IMO Tog headers are the best... But they are also pricey. maybe someone can give you the alternatives?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know Rick asked Summit Customer Service about the difference between 2 mufflers and one was like a turbo muffler (I can't remember which one, the race or the other) well anyways, I posted a clip of my Dynomax system of my 03 and the turbo mufflers that come with that kit sound really good, but the system is not stainless. I have the SLP system on my 05 and even though I think the Dynomax sounds better, it is a cheap alternative to an all stainless system for just over $500. Check the old threads in the Sights and Sounds area and I have a clip of the SLP in there.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by AwsomeSS
I know Rick asked Summit Customer Service about the difference between 2 mufflers and one was like a turbo muffler (I can't remember which one, the race or the other).
The Summit Fully Welded mufflers are the more quiet of the two. They are more like turbo mufflers, where as the Summit Race mufflers are more like Flowmasters. Neither are stainless steel so I painted them both in gloss black high temperature engine paint.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love my Magnaflows!

Oh and as Chibi said BAD idea on the straght pipe...it will sound like CRAP!

Quick Reply: Muffler question...