Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Which muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009 | 04:44 PM
|
Default Which muffler?

Well, I found a few rust holes in the stock muffler this afternoon so it looks like I can put something a little louder on without feeling like I'm wasting my money. I am having trouble picking out which kind of muffler would sound the best and not brake the bank too much. I do not need stainless steel, as I wont have this car more then a few more years. I checked under, and it seems all my exhaust set up is one peice welded. So with the new muffler would I have to just cut off right before and either weld on a new muffler or get one that can clamp on?

Most people recomend flowmaster or something along those lines for my car, but some others say it would be overkill for a little 3.1. Is there any kind you guys think would sound nicely or recomend? I've already looked on youtube and strait piping/glasspacks are not really what I want(well I do, but my neighbors don't XD )

Old 07-19-2009 | 06:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The stock pipe is an odd size so I would just have it welded on so it will fit securely. Here are mufflers similar to what I am using. I cant find the exact ones I have tho.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-...Q5fAccessories
They are just sprayed with a ceramic paint and are 2 chamber mufflers almost identical to flowmaster 40s.

Old 07-19-2009 | 07:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

turbo mufflers turbo mufflers turbo mufflers turbo mufflers.....

lol, i really like the mellow tone that a turbo muffler will give you, and ya cant beat um for affordability. the local auto parts store has thrush turbo mufflers for something like $30 - 40, or something cheep like that. i personally like dyno-max products, have em on my buick and love em, really smooth and mellow sounding, with just a little lope. i want to do em on my monte, too, when i have an excuse like you do. i also wanna run a cheep high flow cat. converter ( again, dyno- max). jegs has 'em, starting at $55, 50 state legal emmissions, plus much higher flow & you will get a little more tone.

ugggh i wanna do my exaust, lol. just dont have time, lol.

matt, what size is the stock pipe?

Old 07-19-2009 | 09:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I have a FlowMaster 40 and really love the sounds. Its a bit louder then stock. Its also really mellow at red light, gets to a great tone when accelerating, and sounds excellent with driving at speed.

Plus it really helped the car on overall performance.

One more thing. I left the resonator on.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2009 | 02:33 AM

If you're just changing the muffler there's no power gains to be had, might as well go with what sounds best. For a complete exhaust system Dynomax or Borla get you the best power benefits, but for sound I think Magnaflow or Flowmaster sounds best. The 3.8 sounds like a chainsaw on a flowmaster, don't know about the 3.1 though, might sound better. Keep shopping!

Old 07-20-2009 | 07:57 AM
|

JJ, I was thinking about the Flowmaster 40's. But now they have the super 44's out that supposed to be a lot better in overall design and replacing the 40's. How about the super 44 guys? I know I'm not going to get any power gain, but don't have enough cash to do a full exhaust set up.

Old 07-20-2009 | 09:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

if im not mistaken the super 44 is just a 40 in a smaller 4in body (height) if i remember right from the comercials on spike...do some comparisons on the net...

Old 07-20-2009 | 12:03 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

The 60 series from Flowmaster are designed for 4 cylider and 6 cylinder cars.

Old 07-20-2009 | 07:45 PM
|

Rick, but do they give it that ricey kinda sound?

Old 07-20-2009 | 08:02 PM

I'm shopping for exhaust also but looking at a high flow cat also so here's the exhaust section of 3800performance.com

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...y_Code=ES_H_MC

Quick Reply: Which muffler?