Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow DP, yay or nay? lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you want a performance down pipe with U-bend delete, you should go with the ZZP 2.5" pipe. The stock pipe is double lined steel with only about 2" inside diameter, but the ZZP one is true 2.5".

When I put my ZZP downpipe on, I actually inspected for myself and ZZP is right about the diameters.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Those are the prices that ZZP shows on their site for the u bend delete pipes they sell, and require welding into your existing system. I replaced my resonator with a Magnaflow glass pack instead of deleting it. From what I've read you get drone if you remove it completely - something I didn't want. You'd never know I have a glass pack on my car since it is followed up by the stock mufflers. It's only a touch louder than stock at idle, and has a nice mellow note to it at cruising speeds. The dp is only 4 bolts so it's not difficult to replace. I would suggest spraying the bolts with penetrating oil for a couple of days prior to replacing though. If not you may wind up breaking a stud. Mine broke loose with little effort. Since the glass pack didn't have a flange I picked one up (Dynomax 41806) so it would bolt up to the dp. The only welding that was required was the flange to the glass pack and the glass pack to the existing intermediate pipe. Don't forget the anti-seize on the O2 sensor when you reinstall it.
Thanks for the advice
I'm going to try it out without a resonator first and see how that goes. As far as the downpipe, I should be able to change it out myself, just really hope I don't break any of the bolts :p

Originally Posted by mogwog
You mean for your new SS? It's a single pipe all the way down the car. Then just before the mufflers it splits to a Y pipe to have 2 mufflers (that's the only difference between the LS and the SS). You only need 1 down pipe.
all montes only have one DP

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If you want a performance down pipe with U-bend delete, you should go with the ZZP 2.5" pipe. The stock pipe is double lined steel with only about 2" inside diameter, but the ZZP one is true 2.5".

When I put my ZZP downpipe on, I actually inspected for myself and ZZP is right about the diameters.
I was looking At the zzp DP's but their 2.5's with the cat are out of stock

Old 08-07-2011, 12:26 PM

yes mogwog thats what I meant sorry I didnt explain that and I kind of figured that but I was thinking of going to true duals but the way its swt up now is probably cheaper and to me looks just fine, sorry I didnt explain very well

Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

just bought it a couple hours ago, im so excited for when it gets here
got it for $165 shipped!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

The Magnaflow is stock diameter at the flange where it bolts to the manifold, but then tapers out to a larger diameter for the remaining length. Sitting side by side the Magnaflow appeared to have a slightly larger OD, but that may have been an optical illusion due to its new shiny surface. It is also single wall so the ID is larger diameter than the stock pipe.

Originally Posted by 03limitedss
just bought it a couple hours ago, im so excited for when it gets here
got it for $165 shipped!
Congrats - That's a good price. The best I found was $185 until I stumbled across someone selling one on eBay. I don't think you'll have any problems replacing it yourself. The only potential trouble spot is snapping off a stud on the manifold. Just soak the studs with penetrating oil for a couple days before trying to break the nuts loose. If they still won't break loose apply some heat to them with a portable torch.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

The Magnaflow is stock diameter at the flange where it bolts to the manifold, but then tapers out to a larger diameter for the remaining length. Sitting side by side the Magnaflow appeared to have a slightly larger OD, but that may have been an optical illusion due to its new shiny surface. It is also single wall so the ID is larger diameter than the stock pipe.

Congrats - That's a good price. The best I found was $185 until I stumbled across someone selling one on eBay. I don't think you'll have any problems replacing it yourself. The only potential trouble spot is snapping off a stud on the manifold. Just soak the studs with penetrating oil for a couple days before trying to break the nuts loose. If they still won't break loose apply some heat to them with a portable torch.
Thanks 03, I'm already way ahead of u lol
Yesterday I got bored and got under the monte and broke the nuts lose, sprayed em with penetrating oil and tightened them back up
They came off pretty easy
Can't wait till my DP gets here
On the o2 sensor, did u just remove it with a wrench?
I used to have an o2 sensor socket but lost the darn thing lol

Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I took mine to a friend's shop so I could use the hoist and have him do the welding. We used an O2 sensor socket and a curved handle 3/8" drive breaker bar...came out without a problem.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

I took mine to a friend's shop so I could use the hoist and have him do the welding. We used an O2 sensor socket and a curved handle 3/8" drive breaker bar...came out without a problem.
crap i need to start looking for my socket then lol

i'll be doing it at home using a jack and some stands
while im at it im guna start the car up with the cat back off and see what it would sound like if it were straight piped

for the resonator delete i'll be taking it to a shop, it shouldn't be much to weld a piece of pipe there and my tips

Old 08-10-2011, 03:07 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Just got my DP!!
quick question! can i use the same gaskets that are already on there??

Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Who knows! The piping is probably different :P

Those aren't the best gaskets to reuse anyway.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow DP, yay or nay? lol