Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

K&N cold air intake getting bad gas mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 PM

i have an 02 ss. 134000 miles. stock it got around 25-26 mpg average with my foot. i put a fender well intake in and it went up to nearly 27 average once i took my foot off after a week or so. i really doubt your car is getting 16 mpg because of a hai like the kn. although you have owned a few 38s the problem maybe be best figured out by a check up. there is no sense in throw parts into a car that may need none. i agree even with low miles and running good your car most likely needs a tune up. time degrades things just as well as miles. before anything i would check all connections of this intake system and see that it is only sucking air from one spot

Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by nickhead
i have an 02 ss. 134000 miles. stock it got around 25-26 mpg average with my foot. i put a fender well intake in and it went up to nearly 27 average once i took my foot off after a week or so. i really doubt your car is getting 16 mpg because of a hai like the kn. although you have owned a few 38s the problem maybe be best figured out by a check up. there is no sense in throw parts into a car that may need none. i agree even with low miles and running good your car most likely needs a tune up. time degrades things just as well as miles. before anything i would check all connections of this intake system and see that it is only sucking air from one spot
That's the thing. I know nothing of how these filters/tubes work. I think I'm just going to go back to stock and sell this thing.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by YeahBuddy
That's the thing. I know nothing of how these filters/tubes work. I think I'm just going to go back to stock and sell this thing.
Outside the K&N HAI, what else is there to "go back to stock"? Again, the K&N rig should not cause about a 10 MPG drop.

If you have access to a scan tool you may be able to find if it's throwing codes and not meeting the conditions to flash a Check Engine light.

You could pop the plugs out and inspect their condition. Check your oil for traces of coolant in it (perhaps it is running smooth BUT due to something like the beginning of a head gasket leak have bad compression or water interfering with combustion). As some mentioned, inspect for the exhaust, O2 sensors, a host of items.

I would begin with a scan tool and see if there is any data of value being logged by the car's computer.

Personally, I would not be comfortable selling the car with a problem like this and not disclosing it.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 PM

@The_Maniac: Unfortunately, this car is going to get dumped in someone else's lap. This guy jumped on here hoping for a quick fix, etc. He had zero intentions of investing time, nor money, & in THAT order ... You are EXACTLY like I am ... I could NOT sell a vehicle either knowing that it had problems, ... especially with aftermarket parts slapped on it, & you know damn well he will advertise it as a K&N CAI, & that it costs $230+, etc. Too bad. Probably a decent car ... If it really is as he represented it with those low of miles ... If he was within 500 miles, & let me have it for 3 hours, under his supervision, I would check some things & make him a fair offer ...

Oh, well ...

Maybe the new owner will jump on here & want to give a **** ...

Most here will only be TOO happy to help ...

Zeke
'11

Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I think the owner is just selling the CAI and going back to the stock airbox. I don't think he wants to sell the car because of it.

YeahBuddy how much for your intake? maybe start a for sale thread when you have enough posts.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 AM

o never heared that a cia and a hai making the mpg going down that much. there could be some thing wrong like a tune up pcm problems some thing wrong. that is making the milege going down like that besides the foot. i agree with every one here with every one do the basic things like a tune up and check for air leaks. i wouldent blame even a hai for bad mpg i would still go after the basic things

Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I think the owner is just selling the CAI and going back to the stock airbox. I don't think he wants to sell the car because of it.

YeahBuddy how much for your intake? maybe start a for sale thread when you have enough posts.
lol THIS! I'm not going to sell the car, but go to the junkyard and pick up an stock air box and sell the K&N kit.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:58 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by YeahBuddy
lol THIS! I'm not going to sell the car, but go to the junkyard and pick up an stock air box and sell the K&N kit.
Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Going to a stock air box sounds like a decent plan. I honestly don't think you are going to see it fix the problem. I believe you said when you bought this car it had the CAI on it. I'm beginning to wonder if you were sold someone's modded mess. My gut is telling me that if normal areas to check aren't yielding results, then perhaps this ride is modded more then you think.

Any signs of the engine being ripped apart?? Aftermarket CAT?

Also, I still suggest hitting it with a scan tool. If you have another 3800 to compare with that can ALSO give you a lot of info (comparing sensor reads with the tool).

Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Going to a stock air box sounds like a decent plan. I honestly don't think you are going to see it fix the problem. I believe you said when you bought this car it had the CAI on it. I'm beginning to wonder if you were sold someone's modded mess. My gut is telling me that if normal areas to check aren't yielding results, then perhaps this ride is modded more then you think.

Any signs of the engine being ripped apart?? Aftermarket CAT?

Also, I still suggest hitting it with a scan tool. If you have another 3800 to compare with that can ALSO give you a lot of info (comparing sensor reads with the tool).
It has aftermarket exhaust tips (wicked) on it that gives it a more deeper sound. Where can I get the scan read?

Last edited by YeahBuddy; 10-06-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:24 PM

10 Year Member

Just about any auto parts stores sell scan tools (and most part stores will read your codes for free, but I don't know how deep they read, if they read ONLY what triggered a check engine light OR read other historical data).

I'm using an old Snap-On scan tool that gives me a LOT of info.

Quick Reply: K&N cold air intake getting bad gas mileage.