Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 11:16 AM
Default Intake conundrum

I have had this 2003 Monte Carlo LS 3.4L for 4 1/2 years. As of late, she is 20 years old and recently been acting up. I have an intake issue I cannot find. I am in Florida, I otherwise reside in Green Bay Wisconsin. I happen to be in a town. I do not know a lot of people here, so it is hard to find someone to help me without paying $150 an hour. I Instacart with my car, so she works really hard. My battery light comes on while I’m driving along with the airbag light and it resets from my tack to my original miles along with all the Diles flipping around. When I am on the interstate, she doesn’t act up because she’s getting enough air is what I understand. I’m at my wits end and I don’t know what to do. Any advice?

Old 08-13-2023, 10:59 PM

Are you saying you think the engine not getting enough air is causing the airbag and battery lights? Also, how did you determine that the engine isn't getting enough air?

Old 08-14-2023, 07:22 AM

It sounds more like an electrical problem. Could be a bad alt or bad battery but those are more unlikely if its starting up everytime. First, I would make sure the battery connections are secure. If they are, youre going to have to search around for bad grounds.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:01 PM

Believe me, I am way beyond your solutions, I have just yesterday replaced the alternator because the voltage regulator was bad. It was under warranty and I had the receipt, thank God. Previous to that I replace the MAF sensor and unplugged the battery for 15 minutes as instructed. My initial and worst vacuum leak was the turbo hole at the top of the motor. That is sealed off, front yard Mechanic style. But I still have my dashboard going crazy and there is another vacuum leak somewhere. Before all this, I just replaced my starter, I’m talking all this in the last 2 to 3 weeks. I’m hoping the guy that has this thread that is located in Ohio from what I read in another thread would let me stop by on my way back to Green Bay. I need a guru, I really need a pro to find this. She is a great running car, but just a little sick, cars are like pets. They can’t always tell us what’s wrong with them. I need a Monte Carlo whisperer.

Old 08-14-2023, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 03molly
Believe me, I am way beyond your solutions
It would've been better to provide that info up front when asking for advice on how to fix it. Would keep us from having to shoot in the dark due to lack of information.

My initial and worst vacuum leak was the turbo hole at the top of the motor.
What is a turbo hole, lol?

I’m hoping the guy that has this thread that is located in Ohio from what I read in another thread would let me stop by on my way back to Green Bay. I need a guru, I really need a pro to find this.
If theres a specific member you want to help, try PM'ing them directly. They may not happen to read this specific thread.

No offense, but it sounds like you just need to bite the bullet and take it to a real mechanic. I get its $100+ / hr, but you're paying for their tools /skill just like a doctor, electrician, etc. Even if a local member helps you, you should at least offer to pay that same amount to them as their time is no less valuable.

Old 08-19-2023, 11:58 AM
Default Turbo hole

I don’t know the correct terminology, but it comes off the top of the motor for a racing addition to the motor.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:09 PM

Manifold/vacuum nipple. Its used on other vehicles with the same engine. Just cap it off.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:24 PM
Default Vacuum issue

I did pay the guy a 100 bucks to put the starter in. I have tried to upload a 5 second video of what my instrument cluster does but it does not upload. I only have one vacuum issue left and I can’t find it. It does fine on the interstate, but slower speeds. The battery light comes on, the airbag icon starts flashing, and the needles go crazy for a second. I’m a 57 year old woman, I know quite a bit about vehicles, but nothing at all when it comes to in-depth. Learning as I go, apologies for not being more specific before.

Old 02-13-2024, 02:02 AM

try obd2 my guy