Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): '03 SS - Air Bag light on and then off

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 PM
1 Year Member
Default '03 SS - Air Bag light on and then off

Okay, I've got a puzzler: Most of the time when I start my Monte up, the air bag light stays on. If I drive it for say 15 miles or more, I'll see the Battery symbol come up in the Information Center, the speedometer drops to zero as do all the other guages, the ABS light comes on. This takes perhaps a second or so. Then, the air bag light flashes a couple of times and goes out. It stays out too. At this time, there are no warning lights on at all. If I park it and don't start it back up until the next day or so, this will all repeat. If I drive it again later that same day, the air bag light goes out as normal during start-up.

Any ideas?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 AM

I have had problems with my battery light coming on and then going off after a couple of minutes; either idling or while driving.
And also my speedometer goes all the way over 100 mph then when I stop for a while its good for a while.
I hear a lot of Montes have these quirks, and mine has less then 14000 miles.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:03 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DEI Monte SS 04
I hear a lot of Montes have these quirks, and mine has less then 14000 miles.
You have less than 14,000 miles on an '04???

Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you only drive it intermittently.. My first instinct.... Low voltage... once it gets up to normal charging capacity.... It goes back to runing normal...

I would have the charging system checked... How old is the battery? your lucky to get 3 yrs out of them... 5 if... your really lucky... So if you haven't changed it in the last 3 to 5 yrs..I would do so immediately.... Do you keep a battery tender on it when your not using it?... If not that's doesn't help the longevity of the battery either....

If after you have the charging system back to "Normal"... and it still does it... Since it starts with the airbag light... I would check all the connections on the sensors for corrosion... maybe clean them up and use some dielectric grease on them when you replug them in.. Could also be that the airbag sensors are starting to fail...

Hope this helps...
I'm sure someone else will chime in woth more ideas... Please keep us informed once you get it straightened out so we can pass this info to others that experience the same problem..

Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info it is an original battery delco came with the car. I had it checked out; load tested at Advanced Auto checked out good.
I meant the speedometer went over 100 mph not the car something must be sticking on the gauge. Someone told me it might be some kind of motors on the back of the instrument panel.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:54 PM
1 Year Member

You didn't address how you only have 14K on an '04 yet?

That's amazing. My mom has a '99 Lumina LTZ with like 40K on it but I think you have her beat percentage wise!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:35 PM

Sure I could explain I purchased the car to go to car shows only. So far that is all I used it for.
My daily driver is a Ford Eddie Bower and the wife drives a Buick.
The Monte sits in the garage until I won't to go to a car show.
I did minor mods to it, personalized to my liking, IPEW led tail lights, Corsa Exhaust system, Engine stabilizer strut bar from GM, SLP Grill L E D 'S in engine compartment behind the grill and in the trunk. Car still has the original Goodyear RSA tires on it they still look brand new so I am going to keep them on.
I was just saying no matter how little milage the car has it could still have problems.
Sometimes not all the time when I step on the gas it will go up to say 60 mph and not come back down next time I step on the gas it goes up over 80 mph and so on until the gauge is pined all the way. Then I park it for a couple of days and it works fine.
The battery light has me baffled why it goes on sometimes with a fully charged battery at either idle or while driving.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I ha e this issue sometimes the wires under my driver seat airbag are cut...gotta fix this too

Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the info it is an original battery delco came with the car. I had it checked out; load tested at Advanced Auto checked out good.
I meant the speedometer went over 100 mph not the car something must be sticking on the gauge. Someone told me it might be some kind of motors on the back of the instrument panel.

It could be something as simple as a diode starting to fail in the Alternator..

I had to put on on my 5th gen at 35,000 for that very reason..

Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 PM
1 Year Member

Sure I could explain I purchased the car to go to car shows only. So far that is all I used it for.
My daily driver is a Ford Eddie Bower and the wife drives a Buick.
The Monte sits in the garage until I won't to go to a car show.
I did minor mods to it, personalized to my liking, IPEW led tail lights, Corsa Exhaust system, Engine stabilizer strut bar from GM, SLP Grill L E D 'S in engine compartment behind the grill and in the trunk. Car still has the original Goodyear RSA tires on it they still look brand new so I am going to keep them on.
That's really amazing. I wish I had the funds to do that. I'd bet it looks brand new too inside and out. I guess as far as problems, it still is a 10 year old car even though the miles are low, parts still fade over time.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): '03 SS - Air Bag light on and then off