Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

i'm sorry i'm new to monte carlos and this forum lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Default i'm sorry i'm new to monte carlos and this forum lol

hey all,
i have just joined the forum and i am picking up my 2004 mc intimidator tomorrow i was wondering a few things about the car, since i didn't look under the hood before i test drove it (they were about to close, i had wasted almost all my time with the impala ss)... i know the car has a six cylinder 3.8 ltr supercharged motor, however... i believe it is bone stock... what exhaust system does it have? i assume it just has exhaust manifolds and not headers... what do you guys suggest as far as modifying these aspects of my new ride? thanks for any input, i always listen you will find... i know when people know more than i do LOL

take care,
Mikhail

Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Hey thats great new good luck with it.

For exhaust systems it depends on how loud you want it for loud flowmaster, for preformance Magnaflow.

Good luck

Old 05-10-2009, 03:15 PM

thanks a bunch i am looking for performance all the way, i don't necessarily want a real loud car. does that exhaust system increase fuel efficiency as well? just curious haha.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Here is the link to Magnaflow:
http://www.magnaflow.com/
Not sure about fuel efficiancy, but I'm sure about the preformance :-). You might want to think about a diablo preditor tuner too and K&N CAI for even more preformance.

Take some pics of te car when you get it and post them here.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:22 PM

i was wondering a few things about the car, since i didn't look under the hood before i test drove it
Definitely make sure you do a thorough underhood inspection before buying it. IMO, if it looks like it has been modded at all (particularly the s/c pulley)- I wouldn't bother. I know a lot of guys are demodding some pretty hardcore setups, and selling near stock cars due to the economy- so you need to make sure you go over the engine/trans thoroughly.

i assume it just has exhaust manifolds and not headers...
Yes, manifolds stock. The front is a cast iron piece- and the rear is tubular. Many people do a PLOG up front so they have tubular steel front and rear- others do headers.

what do you guys suggest as far as modifying these aspects of my new ride?
Search around for a post I made about 3800 engine mods, it is pretty thorough in explaining the basic steps.

does that exhaust system increase fuel efficiency as well?
Not really- most of the basic L67 bolt ons don't really effect MPG much if at all. You're probably going to be somewhere around 30 mpg highway through all the basic bolt ons until you get into heads/cam or turbo (I only state highway #'s because city #s vary wildly depending on what "city" driving is for you).

Oh, just remember: premium fuel only....

Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM

thanks guys i am going to check everything out tomorrow, i really do not know what i am looking for under the hood so i am afraid i am going to miss something. the only cars i have ever had were just simple rides... nothing like this.. my expertise goes as far as changing spark plugs/oil and maybe some exhaust work... i am looking for your post on bolt ons right now and i am about to look up some stuff about the l67... just so i know somewhat what i should be looking at.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 PM

a great site for the 3800 series

www.3800performance.com

Old 05-11-2009, 06:59 PM

www.zzperformance.com and www.wbodystore.com are also extremely major performance company's for the 3800. Just keep in mind to research products first, all of the companies posted sell items that are either completely useless or gimmicks- research of what others have done will tell you which are good and which aren't.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

for the price, i dont think you can do much better with the magnaflow cat-back exhaust. i have it. i bought it from gmpartsdirect.com it looks great, and sounds even better. here is a link...
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12498617
you can even ask your local chevy dealer to order it, but it might cost more...but you will save the $100 shipping. just about balances i think.

all the mods can really be found on the three sites listed above. i personally found zzperformance to be the most helpful just because they have customer service. 3800performance doesnt even have an email address to send questions to. thats why i've only bought my gauge pod from them.

if you wanna hear the exhaust, check out the link below in my sig it has a taste of the exhaust. i also have the ceramic coated powerlog that bumpin96monte talked about. very good mod for the buck.

personally, if its a completely stock car and your looking for a seat in the pants difference without throwing out a ton of cash, get a downpipe and a front exhaust manifold (powerlog) from zzp. that should cost you about $400 bucks.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 PM

if its a completely stock car and your looking for a seat in the pants difference without throwing out a ton of cash, get a downpipe and a front exhaust manifold (powerlog) from zzp. that should cost you about $400 bucks.
Or you can get full headers (including downpipe) for about the same price.

Quick Reply: i'm sorry i'm new to monte carlos and this forum lol