Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

how to oil an air filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default how to oil an air filter

okay ive had my K&N filter the whole time ive had my car and i finally dicided to clean it (completely filled with bugs, dirt, ect.) and it actually took 2 recharge kits. but my question is how do i know how much oil to use should it be dripping off the filter or just a nice little spray over it, it says to make sure its an even red all over but how the hell can you tell that, the filter is dark red so what so you think?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM

YOU DON'T WANT IT DRIPPING OIL!!!! I thought K&N was white when cleaned? At any rate you want just a light coat. I would only spray the incoming side, again lightly. let it set for a while to let the oil leach throughout the filter sort of like painting, it's better to applt another light coat then to put too heavy of a coat on the first time.

Others can/will back me up or correct me in a little bit so be sure to check back.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

DO NOT over oil. You will ruin your MAF by doing so.

Here's how I clean my K&N. Buy the recharge kit (cleaner and oil) then you take the filter off, obviously.

Spray the cleaner on the filter until it has a good saturation, let it sit for like 15 minutes, then rinse off with a hose, not high pressure, don't use a hose head attachment, just the gentle stream.

Then put your filter out in the sun for a while, let it air dry. Try not to use a hair dryer or a fan or anything. Just let nature and time do its thing.

Lightly oil it on the outside (dirty side if you have a panel filter) by using some on the pleats and just letting it work its way down. Then let that sit for like 30 minutes, have a look at it and you will see if some areas are darker than others, either means one spot doesn't have enough oil, or the darker area has too much oil. You can use a shop-vac if you put too much oil on it. Really it's not much, you just need to keep the filter oiled so it doesn't rot or go bad.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member

i cleaned that S.O.B. 6X and it was still red so idk its not conical filter its just a drop in for teh stock air box. and what about the surrounding rubber, should there be a light coat of oil on that too?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just the filter needs the oil.

What was your procedure for cleaning it 6x? if you followed my directions cleaning it 6x would take about 8 hours!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member

yep took all day cleaning rinsing and letting it dry. 1 day without my car= withdrawls LOL