Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

How bad will a SC Bonneville run without cat an no tune or 02 eliminators?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member

So is there any pulley worth upgrading safe? or just get him to do everything else but the tune. I tune lsx cars and tuned my car in SD. I have hp tuners and EFI live but i dont want to mess with his car. I mean i work at a speed shop and work on mustangs,vetts,f-bodys all day long. But im not afraid to ask question on something i dont mess with. lol You dont get many people coming in the shop asking about these cars they just buy from online. He wants me to do a dyno tune but told him i couldnt lol

As far as wide band i think any forced induction car or any should have them. I have it on my NA car but im turned in SD. I got on it hard one night and saved the motor. N/A you want 12.7 WOT and it shot up to 15.9 and got off it fast! My fuel filter got clogged up. Its just extra insurance.

Meth is just something we add just for extra insurance and put on a switch when they want it or on turbo cars that raise the boost.

What do they do with drop in pcm tunes? I saw a site. They ask what exhaust,pulley,intake,injectors,cam,and more.

Last edited by SIC LSX; 03-30-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pulley drop is the last thing you do. You have the 3.8 stock, you want more power, you do some basic bolt-ons, tune, scan for knock. If you are at 0, you drop to 3.5. Tune, scan for knock, repeat. If you want to go faster, don't drop the pulley size further do more mods... etc. etc.

The cat-back really isn't worth anything for Knock reducing. Like Bumpin' said, he needs to read more, get more standard bolt-ons.

It's really not expensive or difficult to safely run a 3.4 if that's his goal.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member

He isnt doing a cat back at all we were going to do, Off road down pipe passed the resonator muffler from my hook up for $80 and leave stock mufflers then order pulley and tune . But now its looking like the pulley is going to have to be put on the back burner.

Last edited by SIC LSX; 03-30-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Manifolds and u-bend are the restrictions, you're only fixing one of them (plus I don't know the quality of the work for the downpipe so it could still be a restriction)

Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member

U bend delete is already done to the car when he got it. It has thrown a catalytic code since he has had the car so its coming off and getting tuned for it. My exhaust shop hook up dose damn good work and can mandred bend up to 4" Also he worked for mangaflow for 5 years b4 he opened his own shop. He mostly dose show cars and hot rods. When i told him about the car he said of yeah those u bends are restricted! I have mad a few down pipes for those cars. So he knows whats up.

Last edited by SIC LSX; 03-30-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM

So is there any pulley worth upgrading safe? or just get him to do everything else but the tune.
On a nearly stock car, no. I'd bet all you're going to do is add more knock. I'm not familiar with HP Tuners- but can't you scan any obd 2 car?

If so, take his car for a WOT run while just scanning KR- that'll tell you real quick where you're at.

As far as wide band i think any forced induction car or any should have them.
I'm just saying, its not even a remotely common tool in these cars unless the people have a way to tune. I think by far the more important thing to watch is KR, especially once you drop pullies. I'd definitely recommend the aeroforce scan gauge because you can display 2 parameters- so you could display the stock O2 sensor readings (just tell him what #'s are good and bad) and KR- and have the best of both worlds for about the same price or less than a wideband. I'm just saying, KR has taken out far more modded L67's than a random fuel problem.

Meth is just something we add just for extra insurance and put on a switch when they want it or on turbo cars that raise the boost.
I was just saying its a real pain in the butt when you could have the car run 100% safely without it. Since his goals are so modest for a pulley- you're better off not bothering. Meth isn't overly popular in the 3800 community honestly- its something I wouldn't really bother adding until you're trying to get to a smaller pulley than your budget can afford (ie if your next mod step is a $3000 heads/cam setup).

what do they do with drop in pcm tunes? I saw a site. They ask what exhaust,pulley,intake,injectors,cam,and more.
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=182&catid=107

Not a whole lot (compared to a custom tune)- they fix a few of the common problem areas- plus you can get them to turn off that no cat code. Definitely a worthwhile mod if he's just looking to stay with a 3.4" pulley or smaller and probably won't ever get a full custom tune.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM

It's also probably a good thing you didn't decide to try a dyno tune, I don't know how bad your camaro is (I know the LS2 goats learn pretty quickly)- but the 3800's take FOREVER to learn fuel trims. Unless you are very skilled at knowing how much to change to hit your fuel goals without going over, it is easily a couple day process to get a car perfectly dialed in. I'd say bare minimum, you'd scan/reflash 3 times to get the VE tune dialed in (MAF unplugged), then another 3 to get the MAF tune dialed in, then another 1 or 2 to get the WOT fueling right, and then another 1 or 2 to get your timing dialed in. Figuring you need to be driving at least 30 minutes (preferably more) in between fueling flashes, it takes a good while.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah all lsx motors are the same as far as tuning. With hp tuners and EFI live you can see everything you could ever want to see and more and adjust everything. I do lsx and another employee dose fords.

Im not going to tune it im not buying the license for his car and he dosnt have the $300 for me to tune it.. All its going to get is exhaust work, and a zzp tune for now.

Last edited by SIC LSX; 03-30-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member

So which is worse till tuned computer for no cat and no rear o2 and others. Having him put the o2 back in pipe or just leaving it unplugged?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:47 PM

With hp tuners and EFI live you can see everything you could ever want to see and more and adjust everything
I was talking more about fuel trim learn times more than anything, obviously the HPTuners works for the 3800's too, but the DHP Powrtuner with the new open software has a lot more capability for us. I just wish there was a way for our pcm's to learn new fueling as quickly as the LS cars.

So which is worse till tuned computer for no cat and no rear o2 and others. Having him put the o2 back in pipe or just leaving it unplugged?
I'd just leave it unplugged. If you really don't want the light to come on, I've heard of people using some sort of spacer to put under the O2 sensor so it is barely in the flow path- but really its not a big deal if the light is on or not.

Quick Reply: How bad will a SC Bonneville run without cat an no tune or 02 eliminators?