Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

finally a CAI

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default finally a CAI

My b-day is coming up at the end of this month so my dad got me a new K&N filter for my car because i was always to cheap just to get one. The filter is 9Inches long 6 at the base and tappered down to 5 at the end.
So i decided to go and see if Menards had any plexyglass and the had some so i bought a sheet that is 1/4 thick and 24*24 for 15 bucks and made a box for the filter (heat shield) and i am very happy with it. I will post pics as soon as i can after turkey day. There is a big difference in the heat of the filter now. when i get don driveing i will pop the hood and fell the filter and it is nice and cool and then the outside of the plexyglass and it will be nice and hot.

Also i notice a louder engine now when i get on it with the K&N filter and a friend even said something before i even told him about it.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: finally a CAI

Great, post your pics on the DIY section.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:53 AM

Hi `Luke,
Happy Birthday on Friday November 30th : )
Your dad got you a super gift. You are Lucky.
Can't wait to see pic's of your `mod.
I love hearing the sound of a CAI sucking `air.
My problem is that I like to hear it all the time, and with
the price of fuel, it can become an expensive addiction : )
Happy Birthday & Happy Holidays
to you & family.
`Space

Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 AM

Nice mod!

Very similar to what I did on my SC Monte, only difference is i didnt bother building a heat shield

I cant wait to see a few pics of what you had in mind.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]Hi `Luke,[/align][align=center]Happy Birthday on Friday November 30th : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Your dad got you a super gift. You are Lucky.[/align][align=center]Can't wait to see pic's of your `mod.[/align][align=center]I love hearing the sound of a CAI sucking `air.[/align][align=center]My problem is that I like to hear it all the time, and with[/align][align=center]the price of fuel, it can become an expensive addiction : )[/align][align=center]Happy Birthday & Happy Holidays[/align][align=center]to you & family.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]
I know what you mean space when i put the filter on i had a full tank and that was 2 days ago i am now at 100miles and at half a tank because i love the new sound so much.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:44 AM

here are the pics

Old 11-22-2007, 10:43 AM

insted of starting a new post i thought i would just say that i also repainted my engine cover a brighter red and painted the ribs on top. I got the idea from somebody on here i just cant remember who. you can see it in one of the pics above

Old 11-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Really nice job. My only suggestion would be to try and get some weatherstiping from your local auto parts store (like the stuff they use on trunk lips), so that when you close your hood its practically air tight (assuming that it comes pretty close to the actual structure of the hood.

All and all, nice work

Old 11-22-2007, 07:01 PM

nice job! congrats on a clean install!

love the Black on black too! ditto on the foam... will deff make a diff on the intake temps... the foam is what they use to insulate hot water pipes in houses... will make your intake box look like it was from K&N or SLP or someting.... deff makes it look Pro. but above all it will hell keep the air coming in cool.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:56 AM

I like how you did that. Great Job.
Where did you get the piping for the intake?

Quick Reply: finally a CAI