Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Sytems

Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Exhaust Sytems

Well guys, I'm messing with my exhuast now... I'm wondering exactly how much work I can do without losingthe exhaust scavenging, and thus, losing torque. So far all I have done is a catback system which took outmy resonator pipe. I stillhave the U-bend. I'm thinking about doing the ported manifolds. What do you guys think? Whats the best way to modify the exhaust system without losing all myscavenging?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Exhaust Sytems

i would get rid of that u-bend, your not going to lose anything there, well i didn't when i got rid of it, i gained quiete a bit actually

as for the manifolds i'm not sure, i do see quiete a few grand prix guys doing that

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Rip out the U-Bend, forget headers, and the most you should goto is PEM's.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:16 AM

dont forget to throw that stuipd resonator away too while ur at it

Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

pems?? whats pems

Old 07-19-2007, 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

pems?? whats pems
aint that what you write with? ohhhh those are pens umm pems pems pems lets see

A Portable Emissions Measurement System (PEMS) is essentially a lightweight ‘laboratory’ that is used to test and/or assess mobile source emissions (i.e. cars, trucks, buses, construction equipment, generators, trains, cranes, etc.) for the purposes of compliance, regulation, or decision-making. Governmental entities like the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), the European Union, as various states and private sector entities have begun to utilize PEMS in order to reduce both the costs and time of mobile emissions decisions. Various state, federal, and international agencies began referring to this shorthand term in early 2000, and the nickname became part of industry parlance.

thats ALL i could find but its probably wrong lol

Old 08-03-2007, 07:00 PM

pems are ported exhaust manifolds. I would recomend them if you have few or no mods on your n/a 3800. you can get headers but you are going to lose alot of bottom end torque with top end gain.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 AM

Sorry to jump in here and share my opinion buti wanna post so here goes...The first thing you should worry about is your ubend. Personally i like doing the whole downpipe/cat/ubend as a combo to get rid of it all for a low price. For N/A cars 2.5" tubing is the best thing you can do. From there you need to get rid of you Stock mani's. Which your choices are PEM's or Plog. For the money a Plog is way more worth the money and they claim no loss in torque. Oh by the way Plog stands for Powerlog which you can get from ZZPerformance.com. If your gonna take your car further than a few bolt on mods then skip those and you want to spend the money onheaders. The only header N/A guys would want in myopinionare called S&S headers. These have the smaller primaries coupled with a small 2.5" collector. Which most other companies use a 3" collector. The smaller collector will definately help with the torque loss problem.The Next thing which you already have done is a catback. Lastly the mufflers are the absolute last things you need to replace. If memory serves me right these are good til 300 WHP and should only be replaced for sound.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Reverant_GTP

Sorry to jump in here and share my opinion buti wanna post so here goes...The first thing you should worry about is your ubend. Personally i like doing the whole downpipe/cat/ubend as a combo to get rid of it all for a low price. For N/A cars 2.5" tubing is the best thing you can do. From there you need to get rid of you Stock mani's. Which your choices are PEM's or Plog. For the money a Plog is way more worth the money and they claim no loss in torque. Oh by the way Plog stands for Powerlog which you can get from ZZPerformance.com. If your gonna take your car further than a few bolt on mods then skip those and you want to spend the money onheaders. The only header N/A guys would want in myopinionare called S&S headers. These have the smaller primaries coupled with a small 2.5" collector. Which most other companies use a 3" collector. The smaller collector will definately help with the torque loss problem.The Next thing which you already have done is a catback. Lastly the mufflers are the absolute last things you need to replace. If memory serves me right these are good til 300 WHP and should only be replaced for sound.
All info is correct.