General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Security sytems quirks

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Default Security sytems quirks

I didn't know where else to post this,sorry. Lately the securty system has been acting up and not letting the car start. After messing with the remote, or manually unlocking, or even putting it into nuetral, then it will start. Just started this and it isn't all the time. I don't think it is the remote. The car is a 2003 SS Pace Car.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM

my girlfriend had a trailblazer that did that cuz it needed a new battery. cuz of somthing to do with chevy cars. you can have it checked at autozone or somthing to see

Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 AM

Do you have a remote start? Sometimes they can cause problems.

Does it turn over, or do nothing?

When its not starting, does the security light flash? If not then you may have another problem other then the anti-theft

Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What security system are you talking about?

When you go to start the car, does the security light in the message center pop up? Or do you have an aftermarket security system hooked up?

If it's the security light, start searching for the term: Passlock

Old 10-14-2009, 03:01 PM

No remote start and it is the factory system. It has happened twice to the wife as she drives the car primaraly. It will not crank. She said that the first time the security light was on in the dash cluster but I don't remember if it was the second time. At first I thought it was the neutral safety switch but I talked her through it and it wasn't. She locked and unlocked the doors then it started. The second time though it wouldn't work and she put the car in neutral and it started. She had already tried the locks the second time before calling me.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like a passlock issue to me.

Start searching for that, there are relearn procedures you can try, or you'll have to get it to a dealer for a more expensive fix.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 PM

I think it was the battery. Wife and I went out of town for our anniversary and car ran fine then one morning needed a jump. Drove 3 hours home yesterday, parked overnight in the garage, this morning dead. Put a new battery in today. Tech tried to say that my alternator wasn't putting out enough amps. I told him that if it is the alternator I'll fix it later. Car has started and ran fine all day while making numerous stops running errands. This place has a reputation for trying to sell "extra" needed stuff.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 PM

did the new battery fix the problem?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 PM

I just bought a 2001 monte carlo had an aftermarket radio and we hooked factory radio back up and now key wont turn to start car. All lights on dash light up but key will not turn. And security light is on... Just joined this and couldnt figure out how to start a new question but could reply to this... Anyone have any advise?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The radio may need to be reprogrammed by someone with a tech 2 scanner. Did you try to disconnect the radio and see if the car started.

Quick Reply: Security sytems quirks