Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Exhaust Setup Opinions/Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Default Exhaust Setup Opinions/Ideas??

I'm thinking about removing my resonator and replacing it with a Thrush glasspack, and KEEPING the stock mufflers. Has anyone done this? I'm going for a low, quiet, deep rumble. I know it wont sound like a V8, but I want an intimidating sound without making it obnoxious. What do you guys think? Any better ideas for what I'm looking for?

Last edited by Four4Four; 04-12-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 PM

That's exactly what my car had when I bought it. It gives it slightly more rumble at idle but it's still very quiet. The only comparison I had was a friends 04 Impala with a 3800. About the same volume, only a slight difference in tone.

Try it out? You can get a glasspack for ~40$, and have any decent exhaust shop weld it in for 15-20$. IF that.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by bizparr
That's exactly what my car had when I bought it. It gives it slightly more rumble at idle but it's still very quiet. The only comparison I had was a friends 04 Impala with a 3800. About the same volume, only a slight difference in tone.

Try it out? You can get a glasspack for ~40$, and have any decent exhaust shop weld it in for 15-20$. IF that.
You're saying, with a glasspack, your car was just as loud as a stock impala? I was hoping it would be a little bit louder than stock... :/

Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 PM

That was with a glasspack instead of resonator and with the stock muffler still. I have since taken the stock muffler off and it's pretty loud..

With the glasspack and muffler there isn't much of a volume difference from stock. Just a bit more of a grumble.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM

on my dart swinger i took the mufflers off and put glass packs on instead. so no muffler just dual glasspacks its very loud.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 PM

I have Thrush Mufflers I need to get Installed and was thinking of getting Thrush glasspacks. I have a few questions.

1- What do you guys think of that?
2- What size should I get if yes
3- Should I get my new exhaust put in including res delete and decide after that?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Four 4 four it should give you some grumble, you'll here it in the cabin decently.justin p hold off on res delete til after the mufflers, if you want it little louder replace with pipe if you want some crackle/rumble glasspack it.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Four4Four
I'm thinking about removing my resonator and replacing it with a Thrush glasspack, and KEEPING the stock mufflers. Has anyone done this? I'm going for a low, quiet, deep rumble. I know it wont sound like a V8, but I want an intimidating sound without making it obnoxious. What do you guys think? Any better ideas for what I'm looking for?
When I replaced my downpipe/cat I installed a Magnaflow glasspack in place of the resonator. I'm quite happy with the results. It is slightly louder than stock at idle with a nice mellow, low tone to it. On acceleration it gets a little louder but not so loud that you're heard for blocks around. At cruise it sounds good also. Again, a nice mellow tone but you can still carry on a conversation without having to yell. I used a 26" body/30" overall length glasspack and have no drone in the passenger compartment either. The combination of exhaust and the CAI definitely make people wonder what's under the hood.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
When I replaced my downpipe/cat I installed a Magnaflow glasspack in place of the resonator. I'm quite happy with the results. It is slightly louder than stock at idle with a nice mellow, low tone to it. On acceleration it gets a little louder but not so loud that you're heard for blocks around. At cruise it sounds good also. Again, a nice mellow tone but you can still carry on a conversation without having to yell. I used a 26" body/30" overall length glasspack and have no drone in the passenger compartment either. The combination of exhaust and the CAI definitely make people wonder what's under the hood.
Stock mufflers? That's exactly what I wanted to hear if so!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Four4Four
Stock mufflers? That's exactly what I wanted to hear if so!
Yep, still have the stock Y pipe and mufflers (for now). My cat went bad and the price of a complete downpipe wasn't much more than just the cat so I figured I could eliminate the restrictive bend in the pipe where the O2 sensor is at the same time. While I was at it I figured what the heck, may as well see if I can make it sound half way decent so I put the glasspack on. Like I said, I'm quite happy with the results. With the resonator it was so quiet half the time you couldn't tell if it was running or not.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Exhaust Setup Opinions/Ideas??