Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Exhaust Setup Opinions/Ideas?? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/exhaust-setup-opinions-ideas-35662/)

Four4Four 04-12-2012 07:40 PM

Exhaust Setup Opinions/Ideas??

I'm thinking about removing my resonator and replacing it with a Thrush glasspack, and KEEPING the stock mufflers. Has anyone done this? I'm going for a low, quiet, deep rumble. I know it wont sound like a V8, but I want an intimidating sound without making it obnoxious. What do you guys think? Any better ideas for what I'm looking for?

bizparr 04-13-2012 03:34 PM

That's exactly what my car had when I bought it. It gives it slightly more rumble at idle but it's still very quiet. The only comparison I had was a friends 04 Impala with a 3800. About the same volume, only a slight difference in tone.

Try it out? You can get a glasspack for ~40$, and have any decent exhaust shop weld it in for 15-20$. IF that.

Four4Four 04-13-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by bizparr (Post 447513)
That's exactly what my car had when I bought it. It gives it slightly more rumble at idle but it's still very quiet. The only comparison I had was a friends 04 Impala with a 3800. About the same volume, only a slight difference in tone.

Try it out? You can get a glasspack for ~40$, and have any decent exhaust shop weld it in for 15-20$. IF that.

You're saying, with a glasspack, your car was just as loud as a stock impala? I was hoping it would be a little bit louder than stock... :/

bizparr 04-13-2012 07:40 PM

That was with a glasspack instead of resonator and with the stock muffler still. I have since taken the stock muffler off and it's pretty loud..

With the glasspack and muffler there isn't much of a volume difference from stock. Just a bit more of a grumble.

Mr Grizzly Mint 04-13-2012 08:23 PM

on my dart swinger i took the mufflers off and put glass packs on instead. so no muffler just dual glasspacks its very loud.

Jparks 04-13-2012 08:47 PM

I have Thrush Mufflers I need to get Installed and was thinking of getting Thrush glasspacks. I have a few questions.

1- What do you guys think of that?
2- What size should I get if yes
3- Should I get my new exhaust put in including res delete and decide after that?

mwjames 04-14-2012 01:21 PM

Four 4 four it should give you some grumble, you'll here it in the cabin decently.justin p hold off on res delete til after the mufflers, if you want it little louder replace with pipe if you want some crackle/rumble glasspack it.

03SSLE 04-15-2012 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Four4Four (Post 447235)
I'm thinking about removing my resonator and replacing it with a Thrush glasspack, and KEEPING the stock mufflers. Has anyone done this? I'm going for a low, quiet, deep rumble. I know it wont sound like a V8, but I want an intimidating sound without making it obnoxious. What do you guys think? Any better ideas for what I'm looking for?

When I replaced my downpipe/cat I installed a Magnaflow glasspack in place of the resonator. I'm quite happy with the results. It is slightly louder than stock at idle with a nice mellow, low tone to it. On acceleration it gets a little louder but not so loud that you're heard for blocks around. At cruise it sounds good also. Again, a nice mellow tone but you can still carry on a conversation without having to yell. I used a 26" body/30" overall length glasspack and have no drone in the passenger compartment either. The combination of exhaust and the CAI definitely make people wonder what's under the hood. :thumbsup:

Four4Four 04-15-2012 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE (Post 448253)
When I replaced my downpipe/cat I installed a Magnaflow glasspack in place of the resonator. I'm quite happy with the results. It is slightly louder than stock at idle with a nice mellow, low tone to it. On acceleration it gets a little louder but not so loud that you're heard for blocks around. At cruise it sounds good also. Again, a nice mellow tone but you can still carry on a conversation without having to yell. I used a 26" body/30" overall length glasspack and have no drone in the passenger compartment either. The combination of exhaust and the CAI definitely make people wonder what's under the hood. :thumbsup:

Stock mufflers? That's exactly what I wanted to hear if so! :thumbsup:

03SSLE 04-15-2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Four4Four (Post 448414)
Stock mufflers? That's exactly what I wanted to hear if so! :thumbsup:

Yep, still have the stock Y pipe and mufflers (for now). My cat went bad and the price of a complete downpipe wasn't much more than just the cat so I figured I could eliminate the restrictive bend in the pipe where the O2 sensor is at the same time. While I was at it I figured what the heck, may as well see if I can make it sound half way decent so I put the glasspack on. Like I said, I'm quite happy with the results. With the resonator it was so quiet half the time you couldn't tell if it was running or not. :rotfl: