Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:40 PM
dan
Default exhaust problem

i have a 2005 ss sc monte. i wanted to put flowmaster 40s on it and if i take the resinater out would it give it a deeper an better sound. also whatwould be the best thingto do tomake it soundnice deep and loud like a musle car

Old 09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Default RE: exhaust problem

The main problem with making a Muscle Car "Sound Mean" is that about a week after you get the growl happening ... you begin to wish you hadn't! If you delete the resonator your normally "Quiet enough to hear yourself think" environment is shattered by the incessant low drone of your system sans resonator.
You'll like the way it sounds for a few minutes. Everybody will. But, the low frequency drone of a exhaust system without a resonator will begin to work on your psyche.
The constant drone is fatiguing. Your music won't sound as good. The Low Frequencies are a constant assault on your hearing. The worst part being: "Hearing Loss Is Cumulative!"

http://www.hearinglossweb.com/Medica...ihl/nihlfs.htm

Old 09-13-2008, 05:55 PM

i have a 2005 ss sc monte. i wanted to put flowmaster 40s on it and if i take the resinater out would it give it a deeper an better sound. also whatwould be the best thingto do tomake it soundnice deep and loud like a musle car
You're not going to make it sound like a muscle car. Its easy to make it loud- and your setup will do that, but it won't sound like any V8 muscle car.

The 3800 is notorious for having a nasty exhaust note anyways, and no exhaust can fix that.

I suggest searching for 3800 exhaust on youtube, streetfire, etc to hear what they sound like with exhaust- because they all still have the distinct noise of the 3800 with the exception of the turbo cars.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:56 PM

DO NOT get the resonator taken out. I just got a Flowmaster 40 series put on my 3400 last week and after much debate, I decided to leave the resonator on. I'm glad I left it on as the exhaust sounds awesome now, you can easily hear it especially with the windows down, but its not so loud that its annoying while cruising on the highway. Also by leaving the resonator on, there is zero raspyness.

If anything just get the muffler done first, and then drive around with it for a week or so (the tone does change slightly after the first 100-200 miles). If you still want it louder, then take the resonator off.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 PM

X whatever on keeping the resonator.