Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Flames... Really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:27 AM

When I read up on the flame thrower kits there was two ways to do it. One is to run rich and use a sparkplug in the exhaust and the other is to have another fuel source then lit it in the exhaust.

As for a lightly modded car having sparks coming out of the exhaust...well that is not normal. Correct me of I am wrong but I thought GM put the EGR on the car to reburn the exhaust gas (because it was an uneven burn/ all of the fuel didn't get burned up in the first place) so if it is naturally having sparks coming out then that is a fire hazard imo. Is it possible...yes, I guess if he was running rich and was not burning all in the cylinder so it was finishing burning in the exhaust.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

all you really need is a spark element, such as a spark plug set inside the exhaust and just a way to create spark. seen it on pimp my ride episode back in the day. its illegal, so they had to take it off, but it was a cool idea. not hard to accomplish honestly.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Is this possible on the 3800 N/A?? Im asking because I was at autozone today picking up some rocker switches to install for my vac gauge and here comes some guy in an SS who claims he can spark flames with his flowmasters. He says hes got the offroad downpipe and all that good stuff so its the basic setup of piped from the manifolds back into the flows?? Now, the only thing that sets this apart from a common aftermarket exhaust for the 3800, is hes got the flows with 3.5" inlet and outlet... Done ask ME why, but its true, I did see that one. Anyway, is it possible, if so, what has to be done in order for this to be true. Is it in face because of the larger than normal inlet/outlet diameter? I didnt think it was possible to accomplish this on a V6 that isnt HEAVILY modded. All hes got is the exhaust and a filter on his MAF sens.

BTW: Thanks to Trewyn15 for the idea on where to install the rocker switches, and if anyone wants to see pics, let me know and Ill post some pics... Yeah, I know most of you think my vacuum gauge is stupid, but I love watching the needle move around, and the 7 different colors of LED's isnt bad either. SO MIND YUH BIDNAZZZZ!!!!!!!! JK of course
post up some pics i want to see it.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member

Which one you wanna see?? The guys car? Cant do that cause I didnt have my camera at the time (suprisingly).
I know you're not wanting to see my lame *** vac guage are you?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 AM

It is possible for a 3800 to shoot a little flame- there is a vid on youtube with a guy with an L67 on an engine stand starting it up (no downpipe connected)- and it shot flames out a few times out of the rear manifold while he was revving the snot out of it. I've also seen a little flame come out of an open downpipe setup before. As far as the flames coming all the way out the tail pipe- I really doubt it on these cars (especially not any major flame); not unless you had the car set up specifically to do it (ie had some way to fool the engine into running super rich for a short period of time and doing a spark plug in the exhaust or something along those lines).

Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM

I would like to see the switches! What are they for? And I was thinking about installing a vac gauge also, where did you mount it? Did you get an apillar pod? Also how hard was it to install and where did you run the power wires and stuff
Thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by kicker
I would like to see the switches! What are they for? And I was thinking about installing a vac gauge also, where did you mount it? Did you get an apillar pod? Also how hard was it to install and where did you run the power wires and stuff
Thanks
if you dont have heated leather, a great place to mount switches is on the little faceplate where your heated heat buttons normaly mount by the cupholder. and you can run them through the center consol. i have my subwoofer amp killswitch in there..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
Default Vac gauge

Originally Posted by kicker
Thanks
Well, since you're kinda interested in the VAC gauge, I guess Ill post some info on it (pics and such) and let you know what I wired it to, what the switches are for, and how I wired them also. If anyone else is interested in this, Im gonna do it in an hour or so... Let it get nice and dark out so you can see the colors.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 AM

OK Thanks so much man! I have been looking at putting a vac gauge in for awhile. Cant wait to see the pics,
-devin