Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:45 PM
1 Year Member

Yes thank you For asking me to check as the one i was going to get does come with tips
But i actually thought about it and i figure ill go
1 - firestone all season tires - 364 (labor included)
2 - Magna-flow exhaust - 845 (+shipping)
3 - glass-pack - 75 (+shipping)
4 - Cold air intake - 260 (+shipping)
And then the other question i have is - will this require tuning ? And is there anything Anyone would recommend as to brand of glass-pack or future mods to do?
Also here is a link to what my exhaust sounds like now

Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definitely Stock! You should have to do any tuning unless you put an aftermarket CAT in. You can go to the below web site if you are not Stuck on getting Firestone.
Cheap Tires Online, Discount Prices from tires-easy.com

I got a set of 5 A-1 245/45x18s a year ago and I Love them. They are all season tires. They have been Great in all weather. Even Snow! And Yes, I did have a full size spare.
They only cost me $86 a piece. The rims in my were $56 each. So I Re-shoed my car for just over $900

The other thing is you may want to just delete the resonator completely. Keanes MonteCarloForum-Monte Carlo is the best I've heard. He has a glass pack but he Also has no mufflers. He must know someone at the inspection station. Lol But from what I have seen on YouTube, Heard at Meet and greats, and read here, you can get a similar sound if you have aaftermarket mufflers and a resonator delete. I didn't do that cause I've modified a few cars in my day. Now I just want my Monte to sound and look good. I'm not going to and tracks. Old is in my bones now! Also check out your local Auto parts store. They may be able to get your CIA for less. Or at least if you order through them you don't have to pay the shipping.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

From the way I'm reading this with shipping you will have close to $1,000 in your exhaust. Perhaps a local muffler shop can build you one for a substantial savings. You can still have them put on Magnaflow mufflers and do mandrel bends. Bet you would save at least $200, I had mine made local and they work just fine 5 years later.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:18 PM
1 Year Member

yeah I'm thinking of checking local shops first there are 3 or 4 literally blocks from my house.. the only reason id have parts shipped is because the guys id install with I don't know if they'd have the tools to do a built one.. and the shop that's closest with the best work is kind of pricey per hour.... and yes I do have to get firestone unfortunately as I got 2 on the right side as they were almost bald and right side only I don't know how ... and so left side needs some soon so I said might as well get the set.. its sad that firestone is so expensive that and last time I got my tires changed they left it in neutral while doing it I guess and it killed the battery when I went to pick it up.. and that's def. why my car needed a new battery like 1 month later

but yeah thanks for the help everybody hopefully this comes out well. and what is the resonator specifically like part of? and what parts of the exhaust would I need to keep to pass inspection as I need it to be street legal

Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03monte ss - Red Baron
yeah I'm thinking of checking local shops first there are 3 or 4 literally blocks from my house.. the only reason id have parts shipped is because the guys id install with I don't know if they'd have the tools to do a built one.. and the shop that's closest with the best work is kind of pricey per hour.... and yes I do have to get firestone unfortunately as I got 2 on the right side as they were almost bald and right side only I don't know how ... and so left side needs some soon so I said might as well get the set.. its sad that firestone is so expensive that and last time I got my tires changed they left it in neutral while doing it I guess and it killed the battery when I went to pick it up.. and that's def. why my car needed a new battery like 1 month later

but yeah thanks for the help everybody hopefully this comes out well. and what is the resonator specifically like part of? and what parts of the exhaust would I need to keep to pass inspection as I need it to be street legal
Have the local shops, especially the pricey one give you a quote and specifically look for a shop that can do the mandrel bends on the pipes. Can't hurt to see what the numbers will be. Your system will be close to $1000 plus the labor to install it, so that adds more coin onto the system. See what the good shops will charge you to install it and add your $1000 cost. Then see what a custom made system will cost installed, bet it will be a fair amount cheaper. I'm thinking I was about $650 or so parts and labor. It's not a stainless system, 3" steel pipes and I just keep them painted and they are still looking very nice.

Your exhaust system just needs to be in good working order and you must have a Cat converter. Some places are a stickler for sound levels too. The resonator can be dumped no problem.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 03-06-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member

I just noticed you are a local Jersey guy. I use to.work at the Verizon Wireless in the mall. Unfortunately I don't know of any good shops down there, save one. The place is called Clydes in Point Pleasant. The owner is Steve. We worked for a Limo Company together until 2007. He was the only person I let work on the BMW I had at the time.
Yeah if you have two Firestone you may as Well get the other two. But I recommend you have your alignment checked. To have the tires go balled on one side may indicate that you have something wrong in your suspension. It can't hurt!
Anyways I wish you all the Best with your Monte,
Drive Safe and be Happy. I gotta put my old butte to bed!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Wow Greg the underside of your car is amazingly clean.

Red Baron, i'd honestly stop and think about your exhaust for a bit. Do you really need to replace the entire system? Is your only goal to change the sound? If so, only bother with the mufflers and resonator and some tips for show. Each state and even shop is specific to whats needed to pass inspection. But you'll certainly need a cat to be road legal at the very least.

As far as a glasspack brand, i doubt it matters much. I have what i believe is an 18" cherry bomb in place of the resonator.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member

Hay Greg, you must have access to a lift? The underside of my Monte could never look that good working on it under my Tree!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM
1 Year Member

mine name is Mike M. btw if I forgot to mention ahaha... red baron is the car
well I plan on keeping the car around for a while and I figure If I have the money and ability to upgrade for the long run might as well right? and I figure
sound / performance and try to find a happy medium. I know I definitely want a stronger sound but performance as well. this with the cai would def improve performance right? and yes I will def check for a custom build with the local shops... I just don't know if I can keep it as clean, painted as yours
the only thing is that labor is like 50$ total because me and my friend can put it in at his shop for nothing because he has the tools , lift but I don't know if hed be able to do pipes, bends ect.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 PM
1 Year Member

and I really wanna get the most I can out of this car performance , mods wise so might as well go full steam ahead.

Quick Reply: Exhaust advise?