Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM
1 Year Member
Lightbulb Exhaust advise?

So i was asking some of my friends about their exhaust tips on their cars and they look pretty cool. I figure why not ill buy some - i just had questions about them as i don't know much - i.e.
1 - do tips do anything to the sound/performance and do you recommend anything?
2 - and what is the process that i have to go through to upgrade the exhaust - like resonators / mufflers ect.
I want sound to be a little stronger ( mine is stock i think ) but not the whining on the highway / as i hate that !
Any suggestions and answers would be much appreciated - and sorry i dont post much / i read daily but as a senior in highschool i have a lot of college stuff to prepare for.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tips, unless they are resonated, are just for looks. I have 4" SLP tips. If you want to change the sound, best bet is you search youtube for various exhaust setups and see what you like.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:32 PM
1 Year Member

Would you be able to tell from my photos if the exhaust is stock or if thats an addition?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03monte ss - Red Baron
Would you be able to tell from my photos if the exhaust is stock or if thats an addition?
Yes... And by the way, Keane has one of the sweetest exhaust set-ups around...

Old 03-06-2014, 02:43 PM
1 Year Member

Yeah i just saw it online its nice
Just general questions
How much does it cost to do the whole thing ? Parts wise?
My friend cAn install for like 30$
And do you recommend any brands
Magna-flow ext?

Old 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Judging by your pics, your exhaust looks 100% stock. Heres what i have, no mufflers, and a glasspack in place of the resonator. I wouldn't recommend it as it does drone alot on the highway. As far as price and brands, it depends how expensive the parts are you pick and then shop labor. You'd have to search youtube to see what you like.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 PM
1 Year Member

Is there any brand that wont do droning on the highway - i just cant take that for 30 min / hour
And yeah shop labor would be free as my friend and his dad would help me do it for free
Do i have to get a tune if i used
Magnaflow - catback / #16729 /// any recommended exhaust tips to match this ?
And
Cold air inductions -3.8L Monte Carlo Intake System (Black Powder Coated)
I know i can get it put jn cheAp but saving up will be slow as i Also need left side tires for 360ish - had firestones put in 2 months ago

Old 03-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Welcome!
Yes your exhaust is stock although it looks like your right muffler was recently replaced. The tips that are on it are aftermarket!
The Exhaust you get depends on the sound you are looking for. But as Keane said, you can find many 6th Gen Monte Carlo SS exhaust vids on YouTube!
I had a gash that ran down the length of my resonator, I liked the sound of the motor but it was too loud. I had a Magnaflow CAT, and now I have a Dynamax Resonator. Boy is it Quiet! Been on the cay for 3 weeks not and I am still getting use to it. So maybe Next year I will do my Full Exhaust.
But check out EBay and you may Find the Sound you are looking for!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM
1 Year Member

Yeah i thought the tips were aftermarket - they just didn't look stock to me when i got them / i didn't mention that to the dealer -- they knew nothing about the car really as they just got it so .... Anyway me and my friend who's gunna put it in for dirt cheap have decided
Magna-flow catback - cold air inductions intake - glasspack - flowmaster tips
Its gunna be a lot of $ but totally worth it
I think tires (left side of my car ) cai and then exhaust then glasspack and tips
Would it matter if i decided to do it in this order ?
tips / cai / exhaust / glasspack because of price or ?
And
Im looking forward to really getting more in depth with the car during summer and my friend was looking up exhaust videos and he came across keane's videos

Old 03-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

If you are getting a cat back then you may was t to wait for the tips. No sense in putting them on your old mufflers if you are getting new ones with the cat back kit. And Chechen see if your exhaust kit has tips on it. Some do!

Quick Reply: Exhaust advise?