Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

DIY Fenderwell Intake - Thoughts?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default DIY Fenderwell Intake - Thoughts?

First, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZTVwWI310

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this. Good idea? Bad idea? My main concern is that he has a lot of parts just "hanging out" or just zip tied down. Would you recommend trying this?

Old 11-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

it works and cheap so i don't see why not. i have the same setup as him except my filter is bigger, bigger filter is better btw. my tube is longer about 3.5 ft. long. i snake the tubing all the way down by the foglight housing where there's more cold air coming.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member
Default o really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
it works and cheap so i don't see why not. i have the same setup as him except my filter is bigger, bigger filter is better btw. my tube is longer about 3.5 ft. long. i snake the tubing all the way down by the foglight housing where there's more cold air co

longer / bigger! Come on silver stop braggin' I do love you're set up having seen it first hand....however tell me again about the time intake turns into shop vac when crossing thru high standing water!!!!!!! LOL

Old 11-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Doesnt the intake temperature sensor need air to be moving over it to work correctly? Other than that, that video is a good tutorial. I would try and secure the filter instead of just letting it sit. I would imagine that over time the filter could work itself loose from moving around.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member

Wow, I really admire your work. Did you enough room for a 9" filter? Did you need to do any drilling/cutting to make anything fit? Are you using 3.5" tubing or 4" tubing? Did you need to find any space for the on-board computer?

Sorry for all the questions, but obviously you know what you're doing and I'd like to pick your brain :-P

Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Do you have a picture of the filter in the fenderwell??

Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Wow silver that's amazing! But yeah how do you keep the water from getting in the filter bcuz me and my buddy are trying to map out a fenderwell to make for my monte but we still aren't sure on how to keep the water away which is really important in the rainy state of florida lol

Old 11-09-2009, 06:02 PM

If you keep it up at the top of the fenderwell, you shouldn't have an issue. You shouldn't be driving through puddles that come halfway up your front bumper anyways.

The other option is to put the filter in the engine bay with the bulk of the filter in the fenderwell (filter laying on its side)- then going to the hardware and getting that plastic chimney/roof flashing (like a big plastic rectangle with a open hole in the center)- and put that behind your filter so it can't suck air from the engine bay- only from the fender. I've seen some setups on clubgp like this, and it looks pretty good since its black plastic. Then you wouldn't have to worry about water until its at your headlight- which is where it was stock anyways. Plus you get the added benefit of 1 less bend and a little less tubing length.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

do like what he said^^^^^^.
first of all this is not my DD. the filter is sit all the way on the bottom of the bumper cover and there's a lot of room down there. i will not drive over any puddle or take it to the automatic car wash. i wash my own car with bucket and soap water. if i do have to drive through flooded street like few years ago i will unscrew the clamp from the filter. lucky our cars only have 2 plastic pins holding the headlights. just pull the tubing up by the engine bay and pull out the filter. when i get on dry street again just put the filter back on.

the tubing is 4" no cutting or tying up the filter. i have this same setup about 2 years now. you can't really tell in the pic but if you see in person the filter sit really snug. as a matter of fact i didn't took off the headlight off at the track and was running 12.5 in the 1/4 mile back to back. with the filter sitting that low and away from the hot engine bay i know it helps get a nice cold air flowing through the filter.