Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Convince me! Exhaust Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Convince me! Exhaust Setup

So I'm ready to get an exhaust system and I need some help deciding. So far I know I'm getting the Wizaired CAI. What I'm having trouble with deciding is if the 2.5" ZZP Downpipe and High-Flow Cat is worth it performance and sound wise. I also want to do something with the exhaust to give it a deeper sound yet stay away from the weed-whacker sound as much as possible Anybody have any resonator/piping/muffler combinations that work really well? I have a 2003 NA 3.8L

Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you plan on staying N/A a downpipe will give you a nice boost and a small change in sound, if you want to stay away from the weedwacker sound I say stay away from Flowmaster and SLP mufflers.

I would look into getting similar mufflers to the GMPP Cat-back which I think is magnaflow, I'm just not sure what mufflers they used on the kit.

Beautiful monte btw! I like the rim and tire combo!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

My set-up is in my sig line and I am really pleased with it... Unfortunately, I have not yet heard one of our 3.8's without a little rasp to it... Definately does not sound like a ricer, but it won't sound like a true V8 either... Good luck...

Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
My set-up is in my sig line and I am really pleased with it... Unfortunately, I have not yet heard one of our 3.8's without a little rasp to it... Definately does not sound like a ricer, but it won't sound like a true V8 either... Good luck...
Cool, I've been thinking of the same setup you have, but with an 18" glasspack in place of the resonator. Do you by chance have the part number of the magnaflow mufflers you have?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Originally Posted by monteguy03
Cool, I've been thinking of the same setup you have, but with an 18" glasspack in place of the resonator. Do you by chance have the part number of the magnaflow mufflers you have?
Let me have a look around and see if I can find the bill (they're 2 1/2 years old)... I do know that they had to weld the hanging brackets on them, so I'm thinking they were universal fit with the proper inlet and exhaust alignment... They are stainless steel and have held up really well... Best sound is between 2000 and 3000 rpm under load (low and throaty) and then at WOT in combination with the CAI screaming is actually quite nice... Word of advise, deleting the resonator actually increased the Rasp a little, if I was to do it again I would just go with a shorter resonator (16")...

Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
Let me have a look around and see if I can find the bill (they're 2 1/2 years old)... I do know that they had to weld the hanging brackets on them, so I'm thinking they were universal fit with the proper inlet and exhaust alignment... They are stainless steel and have held up really well... Best sound is between 2000 and 3000 rpm under load (low and throaty) and then at WOT in combination with the CAI screaming is actually quite nice... Word of advise, deleting the resonator actually increased the Rasp a little, if I was to do it again I would just go with a shorter resonator (16")...
Thanks for the advise man, let me know if you come across the part number for those mufflers

Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Ive herd some good thrush weld onn mufflers and thats where i plan on going! Are you keeping the bowtie tips on??

Old 03-04-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 04chevyboy
Ive herd some good thrush weld onn mufflers and thats where i plan on going! Are you keeping the bowtie tips on??
Ive heard some good things about thrush mufflers too. Im leaning towards an 18" thrush glasspack in place of the resonator and magnaflow mufflers out the back. I need to call some local muffler shops and get estimates and opinions on them. And I wanna get some nice rounded tips instead of the bowtie tips to give it a little more cleaner look.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM

I have an 04 N/A 3.8 and the combo i have is a 30 inch magnaflow resonator with 2.5 in piping into 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers. It doesnt sond like a weed wacker at ALL. The magnaflow resonater gives it a smooth deep sound and the flowmasters give it a nice suttle rumble. If i had the chance to do it over again I wouldnt. I love it so much it sounds like a v8. A zzp downpipe and cat is on my to do list

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Convince me! Exhaust Setup