Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sledneck
Other than the powder coat option is there any difference between the cold air and the zzp performance wise? Also on cold air it says 1998-2004 when I punch in 2005. I'm assuming it will work for 2005
you won't get 10 whp, just going to make that clear to begin with lol, for monte carlos it would be 2000-2005, that goes for CAI, Wizaired and ZZP, the performance should be pretty similar, I would get the ZZP or Wizaired

Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Get the one from Cold Air for the better looks, too.

It WILL fit on a 2005.

1998 - 2004 3.8L Monte Carlo Intake System - 2005 - V-6 3.8L - Monte Carlo - Chevrolet - Cold Air Intakes - Store

EXACT one I have for my 2003 SS 3.8L. Nothing was changed under the hood until 2006.

Yeah it is more expensive, but just as others on here are going to push ZZP or Wizaired for nothing more than their "preference(s)", allow me, & a few others push OUR preferences, too.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Let's see...$200 for the Wizaired air box + about $60 for a K&N filter versus $260 for the Cold Air Induction kit...looks like they cost about the same to me. Get whichever CAI you want, but once you add the cost of a filter to the Wizaired you can see that they aren't any less expensive than the Cold Air Induction.

As far as powder coating goes, why not just spray the aluminum one with ceramic paint? That's what I did with mine, and I think it looks just as nice as the powder coated version plus I have the added benefit of the ceramic coating to help prevent the aluminum from collecting underhood heat.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Made my own. Not the prettiest thing in the world but the important thing is that its pretty hard to flood the car with water no matter if you make your own or purchase a kit. My filter touches the bottom of the inside of the front bumper and i never had problems with water. No foglights either and nothing but the stock grilles covering the opening.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Anybody know anything about these fender braces. they look really nice.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Made my own. Not the prettiest thing in the world but the important thing is that its pretty hard to flood the car with water no matter if you make your own or purchase a kit. My filter touches the bottom of the inside of the front bumper and i never had problems with water. No foglights either and nothing but the stock grilles covering the opening.
Mine is also like this and I havent had a problem at all

Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Hey everyone, my name is Bill and I am with Cold Air Inductions Inc. I know that I already have spoken with some of you who are current customers as well as through other forums, and even though I have followed this Forum for awhile, I just "officially" joined today as a sponsor. As I mentioned, I am with Cold Air Inductions Inc (aka CAI Inc.) and as many of you already know, we are a cold air intake manufacturer. I will post (hopefully tonight) a little more about our company in the introductions section, and more about our products and what makes them different than the majority of the cold air intakes out there on the market. I am really excirted to have joined this forum, and look forward to getting to know you all a lot better. I am always happy to help anyway that I can, so please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, and be looking for my post in the introduction section!

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
Cold Air Inductions makes a great CAI. It keeps the intake temps alot lower than the open style of a K&N.

I have had a CAI on most all of my cars and never had trouble with water. The kits you can buy has the air filter behind the headlight so you would have to run through alot of water to flood it.
Thanks for the kind words, our intakes have actually went through some extensive water intrusion testing and have never had any reported issues. Thanks again for choosing CAI Inc.!

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I guess I'm the odd man out on this one. Prior to purchasing a CAI I inquired about the Wizaired via email (twice as a matter of fact) regarding the R&D and performance claims but never got a reply to my inquiries. Cold Air Inductions on the other hand was more than happy to answer my questions, so I purchased their CAI. I am quite pleased with it and also their customer service, so I would recommend them to anyone interested in getting a CAI. Don't bother with K&N or any similar brand where the filter is exposed to underhood heat. They aren't worth the money and can actually decrease your performance because they draw in heated air instead of cold air.
Thanks for choosing CAI Inc. It was most likely me you spoke with regarding your previous questions, so I am glad I was able to help you out. Customer service is definitely something I pride myself in, so I'm glad you feel you were treated good!

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I like the CAI from cold air inductions......
Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!

Originally Posted by Zeke
Cold air inductions, inc. !!!
Thanks!! Glad you are happy!!

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
Cold air inductions. they test thiers in real world conditions hp not at fly and engine is in the car with no forced extra air. 10hp at the wheels garanteed. plus they make a sweet powdercoat black one.
I also am a big fan of our black powdercoated CAI, they look sweet!

Originally Posted by Zeke
Get the one from Cold Air for the better looks, too.

It WILL fit on a 2005.

1998 - 2004 3.8L Monte Carlo Intake System - 2005 - V-6 3.8L - Monte Carlo - Chevrolet - Cold Air Intakes - Store

EXACT one I have for my 2003 SS 3.8L. Nothing was changed under the hood until 2006.

Yeah it is more expensive, but just as others on here are going to push ZZP or Wizaired for nothing more than their "preference(s)", allow me, & a few others push OUR preferences, too.
Thanks for choosing CAI Inc.! We appreciate your support!

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Let's see...$200 for the Wizaired air box + about $60 for a K&N filter versus $260 for the Cold Air Induction kit...looks like they cost about the same to me. Get whichever CAI you want, but once you add the cost of a filter to the Wizaired you can see that they aren't any less expensive than the Cold Air Induction.

As far as powder coating goes, why not just spray the aluminum one with ceramic paint? That's what I did with mine, and I think it looks just as nice as the powder coated version plus I have the added benefit of the ceramic coating to help prevent the aluminum from collecting underhood heat.
Thats why we ceramic coat our intake tubes inside and out (for the systems that have an intake tube) Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Anybody know anything about these fender braces. they look really nice.
I am 99.9% sure that the owner of our company made that for one of his personal vehicles quite some time ago. Unfortuantely we don't make them for production. But thanks for the compliment!!

Bill Hylton
Cold Air Inductions Inc.

bhylton@coldairinductions.com - 810.531.0121

"Like" us on Facebook!!

Visit us on the web at www.ColdAirInductions.com

Last edited by Sales @ CAI Inc; 03-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum, great CAI and powder coated also........

I have a kinda not very important question but 1 of the spring loaded screws on my cai doesn't work properly, is there a replacement part I can get form an auto/hardware store to replace it?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc
Thanks for choosing CAI Inc. It was most likely me you spoke with regarding your previous questions, so I am glad I was able to help you out. Customer service is definitely something I pride myself in, so I'm glad you feel you were treated good!
I do believe it was you that I spoke with, Bill. Thanks again for the assistance you provided. I'm sure you deal with numerous people on a daily basis so I don't expect you to remember our conversation, but all of my questions were answered in a friendly and professional manner. For some reason customer service seems to be an afterthought with a lot of companies these days rather than a forethought. It was refreshing to deal with a company like CAI that knows the true meaning of customer service.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very cool to see that you have signed up to be an official sponsor, I guess I'll have to start recommending your CAI system now

If you want to send me one to "test" with, I wouldn't say no... lol

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake questions