Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Build: Classic Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

No, a shop did the work as you have to cut and weld various parts.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:06 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
No, a shop did the work as you have to cut and weld various parts.
Well I have seen the option of using clamps instead. The downside being leaks/having to tighten them, but they provide way more flexibility than welding. Anything I'm missing or not understanding about them?

Old 04-29-2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by WolvenScout
Well I have seen the option of using clamps instead. The downside being leaks/having to tighten them, but they provide way more flexibility than welding. Anything I'm missing or not understanding about them?
Clamps can be just as solid as welding.. Ive used them plenty of times..

Old 04-29-2018, 10:26 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Clamps can be just as solid as welding.. Ive used them plenty of times..
Is it okay to do the entire exhaust with clamps?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 AM

Is it okay to do the entire exhaust with clamps?
Yea you can just make sure all the sizes of connectors and clamps match up..

Old 05-01-2018, 11:59 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

What are you guy's thoughts on this setup? (No welding, all done at home)

From Engine:
-ZZP Powerlog
Catalytic Converter:
-
Flowmaster Universal High Flow Cat Flowmaster Universal High Flow Cat
-O2 Sensor Pipe
Optional Resonator:
-2.5” Resonator (only if cabin noise is too loud)
Exhaust Tips:
-
Black Tips Black Tips
(50$ for a pair)
-
Black Tips Black Tips
(33$ individually)
Clamps:
-
2.5" Butt Joint Clamp 2.5" Butt Joint Clamp

Old 05-01-2018, 02:39 PM

What are you guy's thoughts on this setup? (No welding, all done at home)
Why are you against having it welded on? I get having a single flange or slip connection with clamps so the exhaust isn't one giant piece, but from the looks of it, you're going to have at least 5 clamped areas (both sides of the cat, both sides of the resonator, then the tip). That would be beneficial to allow you to make changes until you get a setup you're happy with, but then I'd take it in and have them weld most of those up.

I don't think this will have a major impact on sound. The design isn't drastically different than stock, it just has thinner walls and bigger diameter. Just not sure it's worth the price for the tiny sound change.

Is your current cat bad? As with the above, going from one cat to another isn't going to have a big impact on sound. Another one of those things that's probably not worth the money.

Optional Resonator:
-2.5” Resonator (only if cabin noise is too loud
What are you doing about mufflers? Leaving the stock ones and potentially adding this probably isn't a bad idea, although keeping the stock mufflers might make it too quiet for what you're looking for.

If the plan is to straight pipe it and just add a resonator if it's too loud, then I'd say yuck - that's going to sound terrible. You could try this out now - drop the stock catback and take a trip around the block. Tons of rasp and tons of drone!

Old 05-01-2018, 04:01 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Why are you against having it welded on? I get having a single flange or slip connection with clamps so the exhaust isn't one giant piece, but from the looks of it, you're going to have at least 5 clamped areas (both sides of the cat, both sides of the resonator, then the tip). That would be beneficial to allow you to make changes until you get a setup you're happy with, but then I'd take it in and have them weld most of those up.
I'm not against having it welded. For the moment, I would just like to do all the work myself. Then once I'm happy with the sound I'm getting, I might get it welded. Also, the tip has its own built in clamp.
I don't think this will have a major impact on sound. The design isn't drastically different than stock, it just has thinner walls and bigger diameter. Just not sure it's worth the price for the tiny sound change. Is your current cat bad? As with the above, going from one cat to another isn't going to have a big impact on sound. Another one of those things that's probably not worth the money.
Those two modifications aren't for sound. They're more performance focused.
What are you doing about mufflers? Leaving the stock ones and potentially adding this probably isn't a bad idea, although keeping the stock mufflers might make it too quiet for what you're looking for.
I plan on deleting the muffler and resonator at first. Then possibly adding an aftermarket resonator or glasspack.
If the plan is to straight pipe it and just add a resonator if it's too loud, then I'd say yuck - that's going to sound terrible. You could try this out now - drop the stock catback and take a trip around the block. Tons of rasp and tons of drone!
Like I said above, the plan is pretty much that, straight piping it from the cat, and adjusting if needed. Similar to Leprechaun93's setup shown earlier in the thread.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Those two modifications aren't for sound. They're more performance focused.
As I probably mentioned before, you're wasting money IMO if you're modding the exhaust on a stock NA 3800 for performance. For reference, the record FWD 3800 NA stock cam dyno was 193 whp. #5 on that same list only took 177 whp (about a 20 whp gain from stock). So as you can imagine, doing something like a plog or HF cat is likely only going to pick up single digit whp numbers, if anything. The cost is extremely high for virtually no gain.

As another data point, a bone stock L67 will usually do 190-200 whp.

I plan on deleting the muffler and resonator at first. Then possibly adding an aftermarket resonator or glasspack.

Like I said above, the plan is pretty much that, straight piping it from the cat, and adjusting if needed. Similar to Leprechaun93's setup shown earlier in the thread
IMO straight piped 3800 is the worst possible route if you're really after a classic muscle car sound. It'll amplify all of the terrible characteristics of the 3800 exhaust.

If you're seriously considering it, I'd highly suggest just unbolting and dropping the catback before you start hacking everything up. Other than the position of the outlet, it's going to be basically the same sound, not to mention it's completely free to try.

If the intent is to straight pipe it to get the loudest noise possible, have you thought about just doing a cutout? They make clamp on Y pipes so you could still DIY it, and it would sure be a lot cheaper and easier than hacking everything up.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:56 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

IMO straight piped 3800 is the worst possible route if you're really after a classic muscle car sound. It'll amplify all of the terrible characteristics of the 3800 exhaust.
If you're seriously considering it, I'd highly suggest just unbolting and dropping the catback before you start hacking everything up. Other than the position of the outlet, it's going to be basically the same sound, not to mention it's completely free to try.
If the intent is to straight pipe it to get the loudest noise possible, have you thought about just doing a cutout? They make clamp on Y pipes so you could still DIY it, and it would sure be a lot cheaper and easier than hacking everything up.
I think I'll try dropping the catback and taking it for a ride this weekend. As for the cutout thing, I'm not familiar with what that is.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Build: Classic Sound