Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cat removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the replies. I said I would run it by my friend is because he knows more than me about this stuff. And then I think he has two other friends that may know more than him all in an order, so it is kind of like a network. I would not be able to do the downpipe thing but he may, though he was not familiar with Ubend and all that when I mentioned it to him but I think he is always on the up and learning so I can try again. My car will not be totally stock by the time I get the dual exhaust, I imagine. I already got a CAI coming and the next thing would be the downpipe thing so by then it may be a cool improvement but I definitely want to get it used. So since the Mustang's won't work, what about if I found a 2006-2007 LT, LTZ or SS, will those work on an LS for a dual exhaust or...?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:44 AM

The U-bend defies most peoples interpretation of "logical." Did 7th gens have as bad of a U-bend as 6th gens? For some reason I thought it got better with 7th's.

As far the dual exhaust, just to make the distinction so you don't look for the wrong things. Our MC's have "dual exhaust" but really that means dual muffler. I have a 2004, not one of the 7th gens, but I believe the newer ones still have transverse mounted engines. That means there's a crossover pipe from the forward facing exhaust collector and it meets up with the rear facing exhaust collector. From there they coalesce at a bolted flange which is where the downpipe (with your catalytic converter) bolts on. At the bottom of that downpipe there's a bolted flange and from this flange back is a single pipe that goes through your resonator and then back to your muffler. Someone with a 7th gen can answer this a lot better, but it would seem unlikely that Chevy has different configurations underneath the car that would negate your ability to put a dual muffler system from an SS onto an LS.

The one thing that comes to my mind is maybe if the rear bumper cover has a notch for the exhaust tip? If your LS only has one, then obviously you might have an interference.

And of course, the other thing that comes to mind is that I don't own a 7th gen and I could be completely wrong. If proven to be wrong, hopefully a mod just deletes this entire post.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member

I only have experience with my own Monte Carlo and from the back end it looks like the exhaust pipe is more "hidden" but not completely of course and no cut-out type slot is needed, for the current, stock setup that is. Hard to explain but if you saw one in person you may know what I am trying to express. And I don't think your post should be deleted, it is good material to have as reference.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member

I am close to the position of being able to get my downpipe replacement. Knowing my car can you please tell me which one from ZZP I need to get for the most power gains? Also the one that will work with my car?

Old 04-12-2015, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member

Please help.

The site says it only fits 3800 engines and I of course have the 3500 engine?

Last edited by 2007MonteCarloLS; 04-12-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That thread title "cat removal" is deceiving. I clicked thinking someone had a feline struck in a tree and needed some help getting it down...

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 AM

ZZP knows their stuff. If they say it only fits 3.8 then I would believe them. The 3.5 just isn't as prevalent as the 3.8 and it's possible there just aren't as many aftermarket options. Did you look at any Hogan downpipes? Maybe they're in the 3.5 business?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You might have to talk to Milzy Motorsports for a 3.5L option.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member

Honestly had no idea what the downpipe was until ohara mentioned it here and I did some research after that. Also have not looked at purchasing anywhere except ZZP but I will now.

Quote from a site from my searches "Unfortunately, Hogan Performance is no longer fabricating replacement downpipes. Some have had luck using a downpipe from ZZ Performance (http://www.zzperformance.com/); unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of using a ZZ Performance downpipe, so I can't comment on it."

Last edited by 2007MonteCarloLS; 04-13-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member

So I already have a cold air intake and the downpipe is seemingly out of the question for me and a dual exhaust job right now is just too much is there anything else that I can do for increase of power/speed/HP? Or am I just doomed?

Quick Reply: Cat removal