Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Cat removal (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/cat-removal-49283/)

2007MonteCarloLS 06-18-2014 02:34 PM

Cat removal

Should I? Give me pros and cons?

ChibiBlackSheep 06-18-2014 02:36 PM

Pros, if it is clogged, it will no longer be clogged.

Cons. Your exhaust tips will be super dirty all of the time, it will smell bad, and depending on the area you live, you will fail your emissions testing.

2007MonteCarloLS 06-18-2014 03:58 PM

My friend tells me you get a power increase with the removal. However the increase may be.

ohara 06-18-2014 07:16 PM

Why not get yourself one of these ?

ZZPerformance - ZZP Downpipes #ZZ-GPDP

order the one that comes with a high flow cat, you won't throw any engine codes, your car will run right, and you will get between 15 - 20 hp gain and they will give you a $50 credit if you mail them your stock down pipe with the cat converter. When installing you can get rid of the resonator and just run a straight pipe in it's place back to the mufflers

I ordered myself one on the weekend, because where I live you have to pass emissions test, and if your car has a check engine light on you immediately fail

xxtheshockerxx 06-18-2014 11:00 PM

Depending on if you have emissions tests is the key I think. I can tell you your tips will be much more dirty and if you dont like the smell then that might be a problem (I love the smell) you can get rid of the u-bend if you go Catless.

Personally I won't buy or replace another cat on any of my cars. I live in Iowa and don't need to pass emissions. My SS is Catless and I wouldn't have it any other way. I got a lot of sound by taking it out too. You could always buy a downpipe but it would be cheaper to have a shop make you a "test pipe"

2007MonteCarloLS 06-19-2014 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by ohara (Post 618658)
Why not get yourself one of these ?

ZZPerformance - ZZP Downpipes #ZZ-GPDP

order the one that comes with a high flow cat, you won't throw any engine codes, your car will run right, and you will get between 15 - 20 hp gain and they will give you a $50 credit if you mail them your stock down pipe with the cat converter. When installing you can get rid of the resonator and just run a straight pipe in it's place back to the mufflers

I ordered myself one on the weekend, because where I live you have to pass emissions test, and if your car has a check engine light on you immediately fail

That seems like a real good idea. Thanks for showing me this. I would have had no real idea. I hope it will work out for my car. Me and my friend were talking about putting a dual exhaust on the Monte and I said to get it cheaper I should try to get a used one and he mentioned a Fox Body one would work. I also have no real idea what this is, what you pointed out to me, the link. Is this an exhaust replacement or no, perhaps just adding to it? I do not know all that much.

2007MonteCarloLS 10-22-2014 12:27 AM

Hey ohara, is this a big job? Is welding involved? I am not that familiar.

farmerjg 10-24-2014 12:07 PM

If you buy that ZZP downpipe replacement there is no welding involved, it's a bolt in piece. If you are not overly intimate with car repairs there is a solid chance you'll have trouble changing this out yourself, but it is possible. I just did this same job last week and I was able to get three of the four bolts out that were holding in the downpipe. If you break off the nut on an exhaust stud you are looking at a whole world of hurt and the job gets a lot more expensive. Since I couldn't get my fourth bolt I sent it to my local hot rod shop where they had to heat and cool the nut to get it off. It took them an hour, and they actually know what they're doing.

Exhaust components can be really tricky to take off. You need to soak them with a good penetrant repeatedly and often, and you need to hope for a little luck.

Good luck!

2007MonteCarloLS 10-25-2014 04:20 PM

No welding is a good thing. I will have to run it by my friend who knows more than me and see what he thinks, if we would be able to do it and if we would need another friend or another friend.

bumpin96monte 10-26-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2007MonteCarloLS (Post 634688)
No welding is a good thing. I will have to run it by my friend who knows more than me and see what he thinks, if we would be able to do it and if we would need another friend or another friend.

It isn't really manpower that you need- one person can easily do the job, you just have to know what to do if you run into nuts that are rusted together. PB Blaster does a pretty good job, and there is also some sort of freeze spray now also.

If a shop ran into that, they'd probably just hit the bolts with a torch.

The downside is, if you buy a catless downpipe- no shop will want to touch it. Even in non-emission areas, there is still a heavy penalty for disabling emission control devices. Certainly some shops will do it for cash under the table if you're friends with them- but not a lot of shops are going to want to risk the fine to make $50.

Me and my friend were talking about putting a dual exhaust on the Monte and I said to get it cheaper I should try to get a used one and he mentioned a Fox Body one would work. I also have no real idea what this is, what you pointed out to me, the link. Is this an exhaust replacement or no, perhaps just adding to it? I do not know all that much.
I know this is an old post, but true dual exhaust is expensive to install on these cars as it needs to be custom fabbed. Other than a different sound, there really isn't much performance benefit, especially on a nearly stock car.

A fox body mustang dual exhaust kit will not fit at all, the two cars are very different. Locations of the bends, length of pipe runs, etc are all different. Plus, ideally, you'd want to try to tuck both tubes into the center tunnel as much as possible for ground clearance.