Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cat back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

GMPP/Magnaflow make a full stainless, great sounding cat back system available from gmpartsdirect.com or any GM dealer, Factory parts that fit perfectly, sound great but not to loud to annoy the Mrs. Includes a short stainless resonator to stop interior droning. It also has 4" double wall polished stainless tips that are adjustable for length so they stick out just as much as you want. If you have a hook at a local dealer or parts house they can order it for you, maybe get a discount (through a parts house usually 20 %) and save on the shipping. It's GM part #12498617. Include all the clamps (stainless too) gaskets and bolts, reuse the existing rubber hangers. Maybe a 20 minute install in the driveway with reg. hand tools. Still do a U bend delete for a nice performance gain for just a couple of bucks at any good exhaust shop, shouldn't take them more than 1/2 hour or so
No I'm not employed by them, I have the system on my Monte and just love it
i second that from montes my python, have the same system and cant complain. although i do agree with 04 intimidator, if you are just starting mods and are looking for horsepower before sound, look at a zzp downpipe (this deletes the u-bend as well) and a powerlog. this will give you much more performance over the exhaust. you wont gain much with the exhaust unless you have supporting mods.
if you just want the sound, then go for it!
i like the magnaflow sound more than any other exhaust i've heard on our monte's. but thats just my opinion. yours may be different.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by 04 Intimidator
Why is it that everyone wants to start with the exhaust first when it is the one thing they don't need to change for a long time???

Downpipe sure, but really half the people that have catbacks are just wasting their money.
sound/performance... duh! lol

Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Default to 04 IMTIMIDATOR

i understand your opinion, however if you had read my original post i little slower you would understand why i was asking about cat back exhaust first. LET ME EMPHESIZE. i am NOT looking for performance right now, nor will i be for quite some time. i am quite happy with the way the car currently runs. IT IS MY WIFE'S CAR. i simply would like it to sound a little louder and know that a cat back exhaust and cai kit would achieve that!! thanks to MONTE MY PYTHON for the info about the magnaflow kit.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Hey man, you asked for our valued opinion. we gave it to you. if you werent looking for performance why did you say cold air kit in your original post? We are just trying to steer you in the right path but ultimately its up to you what mods you do first. If you keep EMPHASIZING everything no one is gonna respect you. This is by far the best forum i've ever belonged to because there is no flaming. If you wanna flame, go to a honda forum.
like i said, nobody was giving you bad info on exhaust. its up to you how you use the info other people give you.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the zzp downpipe will give you a better growl :P

Old 05-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Default Question about zzp downpipe to magnaflow cat back system

i'm looking at a zzp downpipe. It is the 3" 304 stainless bolt in with a cat. The description of this pipe says it has a 2.5" outlet flange in the stock location. My question is if i go with the Magnaflow cat back system does that match up? On gmparts direct it does'nt really say what size the system is, or i just missed that in the item description.
On a lighter note the reason i mentioned a cold air kit in my original post was so i could here the supercharger working a little better and i've read that it will possibly help with city driving gas mileage. thanks again for your valued input.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Well, i dunno about hearing the supercharger better with the cold air intake. i have that intake, and before i put a supercharger on my car i could hear it, its what gave me an engine sound. after the supercharger install, i dont really hear it, all i hear is the supercharger. as for whether the supercharger got louder i wouldnt know, i had the intake before the supercharger.
the 3" downpipe would be ok, and it would match the exhaust outlets fine. i believe the magnaflow exhaust i have from GMPP is 2.5" pipe, so it matches my 2.5" zzp downpipe. i love the sound and it flows great.
you want to try to avoid different size pipes so you can keep your exhaust flowing smoother. going from 2.5" to 3" back to 2.5" creates turbulance inside the exhuast system.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM

i'm looking at a zzp downpipe.
Sound change from a downpipe alone is minimal (especially if you keep the cat). If all you care about is changing the sound- then the mufflers/resonator are where you should focus your efforts (be it a catback or just a muffler swap).

Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 PM

I have a zzp? 3" downpipe and the GMPP/Magnaflow cat back system in my 04 Intimidator and had to make a small adapter to make it fit properly, It seems that the downpipe is 1 1/2 " shorter and causes an interference where the first 90 degree bend would hit the body, see attached pic for the fix

A capable exhaust shop should be able to make this up for you quite easily, if needed, (2) gaskets and (2) 3 1/2" bolts & nuts did the trick, I have a small mig welder so I was able to make this myself, but should be cheap enough to have fabricated. Again I'm not sure my downpipe is a zzp so it may be a little different.
The CAI definitely makes the supercharger whine much louder, and hisses loudly on cold start up but goes away quickly

Aaron

Last edited by montes my python; 05-05-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to just have the downpipe cut and rewelded so you don't have to add an extra gasket (one less thing to go wrong, two less bolts to seize up)?

Quick Reply: cat back exhaust