Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cat back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Default cat back exhaust

hello gang, i am fairly new to this sight. i have been reading different threads for about a month or so. i have a 2004 Intimidator that is bone stock. we purchased a year ago. i basically just was looking for some opinions on a nice sounding cat back exhaust system. this is my wifes daily driver so i'm not going to get crazy with any mods for awhile. i would like to start with the exaust(just cat back for now) then a cold air kit. any help or links to sights with sound or your valued opinions are much appreciated.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Arrow Welcome 2 the MCF

Hi Member: Zigzag55 from
Indian Lake, Ohio
Logan County

Welcome to our MCF Family
We have many member's from the Buckeye State
Please check back, & I'm sure that our member's
will post their opinions/suggestions on a
Exhaust Set `Up for your Monte.

What type of Marine Engine's do you work on ?
How's the fishing up there ?

Would love to see pictures also of your 04 Monte SS
Intimidator, and we look 4ward to your future posts.
Wish you & yours safe/fun miles in your Monte.

Last edited by Space; 04-28-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First welcome to the site We would love to see some pictures of that Monte

Second... may I recommend a different approach?

Your stock exhaust is perfectly fine from the cat back :P It's just not loud. There are major restrictions before the cat that you should really do first, before the cat-back exhaust system. And this may even save you money in the long run.

I would start with something crucial. It's called the U-Bend delete. This is a bend in your exhaust that holds the O2 sensor and "protects" it. Really it doesn't do any protecting (anymore than anything else anyway)

Here is a good image about it.

See the major restrictions in that? The fix is a straight pipe with a bong for the O2 sensor. (That's a relatively cheap fix at a shop... roughly 20-30 dollars?)

Another large restriction in our exhausts is the actual cat itself, and even the downpipe coming from the manifold. A good 2.5-3" is a diameter we want to stick with to get our exhaust fumes out (you'll want 3" since you're boosted) Now a great way to get this fixed and you can do this at home is a bolt-on 3" ZZP downpipe with High-Flow cat shown here to purchase. This product ALSO eliminates the U-bend delete, and it's a great DIY. (4 bolts, very easy)

Now that you have some of the restrictions taken care of for relatively cheap. I would then recommend getting the CAI next. This will really let you start to hear the supercharger whine, and along with some restrictions gone, it will flow much better. In AND out. Also you will start to see a rise in MPG by this point (if you are driving reasonably and not to hear the new awesome sounds your engine is capable of at WOT)

After you do these things first, take a listen to that stock exhaust system. It may be fine to keep it like that now and just maybe repolish the tips... Or you might be happy enough to then just get new mufflers and tips (a lot of members like the flowmaster 40s)

At this point, youtube is your friend. A lot of exhaust sound clips can be found there, with all different set-ups... cat-backs, flowmasters, resonators deleted, straight pipes, glasspacks etc...

Also, now is the time to really start to think if modding this (COMPLETELY AWESOME) engine is what you really want to do. And if you answer yes, it's time to start to invest in a tuner and read this post, remember you have the L67 engine.

Enjoy your stay, and we hope you stay with us

Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

These exhaust topics really get beat like a dead horse around here! lol

I guess that's like every car forum though.

Welcome! Let's see some car info/pics/plans.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I should really just copy and paste that post and keep it in a text document :P

Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Sticky?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 AM

One thing to note about the ubend delete- that pic makes it look like the O2 sensor comes up from a bottom angle- you really should have it mounted straight in the side (preferably angled down into the pipe a little if possible to allow it to drain any moisture out naturally).

Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM

thanks for the info gang, back to some more research!!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 PM

GMPP/Magnaflow make a full stainless, great sounding cat back system available from gmpartsdirect.com or any GM dealer, Factory parts that fit perfectly, sound great but not to loud to annoy the Mrs. Includes a short stainless resonator to stop interior droning. It also has 4" double wall polished stainless tips that are adjustable for length so they stick out just as much as you want. If you have a hook at a local dealer or parts house they can order it for you, maybe get a discount (through a parts house usually 20 %) and save on the shipping. It's GM part #12498617. Include all the clamps (stainless too) gaskets and bolts, reuse the existing rubber hangers. Maybe a 20 minute install in the driveway with reg. hand tools. Still do a U bend delete for a nice performance gain for just a couple of bucks at any good exhaust shop, shouldn't take them more than 1/2 hour or so
No I'm not employed by them, I have the system on my Monte and just love it

Last edited by montes my python; 04-28-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Why is it that everyone wants to start with the exhaust first when it is the one thing they don't need to change for a long time???

Downpipe sure, but really half the people that have catbacks are just wasting their money.

Quick Reply: cat back exhaust