Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Borla vs Magnaflow vs Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Slugger088
Question: if you really got Magnaflow system and didn't like it. Could you always just switch the actual mufflers to Flowmaster mufflers for example and leave the rest of the Magnaflow system in tact?

I had the Magnaflow catback put on yesterday and it is fairly quiet right now. Does it need to break in some?
i posted earlier in this thread on that same situation. where the magnaflow was slightly louder than stock and not worth the money. you can swap the mufflers for different ones. if you wanted to do that youre going to have to have piping made for them and be sure to get mufflers that are fairly close in size(before you have piping made and what not for a muffler swap you might as well pull the magnaflows off and see if you like it like that. if you do just have them straight pipe it.). the magnaflow mufflers have about 10" of piping that is bent that connects it to the y. i have the mufflers laying around if you want when i get a chance ill take a measurement of them.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yea if you could please take a measurement for me that would be great.

I'm not saying I hate it but the car is fairly quiet. It does sound nice under heavier throttle and the car does feel a bit more open and free from the stock crap.

I wont fail an emissions test for a straight pipe would I? don't think so

Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM

i dont know the laws in canada, but since the mufflers have nothing to do with emissions you should be ok. they just muffle the sound, and yeah i was hugely disappointed with the magnaflow. everywhere i looked people sang its praises, but it was probably the priciest and least worth while investment ive made in a while. ill try and get that measurement for you tonight when i get home.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member

I wouldnt say i'm disappointed. They sound nice when you rip it but overall its not a loud system at all.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 PM

i hear ya. sorry for slacking on the measurements. ill do it before monday.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Slugger088
Question: if you really got Magnaflow system and didn't like it. Could you always just switch the actual mufflers to Flowmaster mufflers for example and leave the rest of the Magnaflow system in tact?

I had the Magnaflow catback put on yesterday and it is fairly quiet right now. Does it need to break in some?
It will break in a little more. I took the resonator off and it got deeper and a tad louder but recently got a cat less downpipe. I am much more happy with the sound now. It is alot louder

Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 AM

it should be a lot louder you took the resonator and the cat off.

thats the problem with the magnaflow you have to modify it to make the car sound like it has an exhaust. it defeats the whole purpose of a bolt in catback, not to mention one thats $600+. if i had known before i bought it that it sounded only slightly louder than stock i would have just straight piped the car, had a larger diameter y pipe made, gone with the hogan catless down pipe, and kept the factory resonator. the car wouldve sounded way better and been far cheaper.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
it should be a lot louder you took the resonator and the cat off.

thats the problem with the magnaflow you have to modify it to make the car sound like it has an exhaust. it defeats the whole purpose of a bolt in catback, not to mention one thats $600+. if i had known before i bought it that it sounded only slightly louder than stock i would have just straight piped the car, had a larger diameter y pipe made, gone with the hogan catless down pipe, and kept the factory resonator. the car wouldve sounded way better and been far cheaper.
yea it is but just taking the resonator off didn't do the job for me. It was just a hair louder. Now I have a nice rumble at idle and it sounds much more aggressive

Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM

the measurements of the the mufflers are 13.75" long 8" wide and 5" deep. the piping that goes to the y is 10.5" long. 2.5" diameter. center inlet center outlet. sorry it took me so long to measure them. ive been busy.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
yea it is but just taking the resonator off didn't do the job for me. It was just a hair louder. Now I have a nice rumble at idle and it sounds much more aggressive
thats my problem with this system. you shouldnt have to do a catless downpipe and a resonator delete for it to sound like that. it shouldve sounded like that with just the catback, or the exhaust should be half the price it is.

Quick Reply: Borla vs Magnaflow vs Flowmaster?