Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Borla vs Magnaflow vs Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
1 Year Member
Default Borla vs Magnaflow vs Flowmaster?

After Iget my new wheels and tires on I am going to start looking into either upgrading the mufflers or the whole exhaust. I havn't decided what I want to do 100% yet. What is everyones opinion on all the different places like Borla, Magnaflow, and flowmaster? I have the 2006 Monte Carlo SS and stock wise it sounds pretty good when your getting up to speed but once you are at a constant speed or at idle (especially when it is warmed up) it just doesn't have that nice throaty sound. So I was originally looking at going with the Flowmaster Super 44's which is the second loudest one that they have, But it has the sound that I like which is that deep throaty gurgle when at idle or that really nice loud growl when getting up to speed. Mainly I just want all of your opinions on what you guys have and if someone has had multiple brands please let me know your opinions. Or if you guys think the super 44's may be a bit much please let me know. Videos only say so much, I don't want to get something and then have it be rediculously loud. Thanks everyone

Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I have Borla on my 3800 sounds good but for an LS series motor Corsa sounds amazing atleast on the RWD LS cars it does

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
I have Borla on my 3800 sounds good but for an LS series motor Corsa sounds amazing atleast on the RWD LS cars it does
If it sounds good on an LS then it should sound good on an SS as well lol

Old 03-06-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by iMuf
If it sounds good on an LS then it should sound good on an SS as well lol
not exactly true. the exhaust is set up differently than the rwd ls cars so they kind of have a pickup truck sound when you pump up the volume on the ls4s. i hope youve tuned dod out or youre going to be really unhappy when you change the exhaust and it goes into v4 mode. it sounds like a helicopter.
on the muffler choices i wouldnt waste the money on the catback from magnaflow(i say this because i did) borlas are expensive and the flowmasters dont sound great on the ls4s(especially if you remove the resonator). cheapest thing to do would be keep your current exhaust, cut the y and mufflers off and have an exhaust shop straight pipe it from there. in essence this turns your factory exhaust into a wanna be loudmouth exhaust(the kind run on the ls1 cars not the wbody version that for some reason has mufflers.) if for some reason you want it to sound more like a loudmouth remove the mufflers and replace the res with a slp loudmouth resonator. the factory exhaust shrinks down at the y pipe so besides being stainless steel the larger diameter piping is the only real benefit to the magnaflow. its not loud at all. i wound up taking the mufflers off of the magnaflow cat back and having straight pipes made for it. another option would be to get rid of the cat and the resonator and run a hogan catless downpipe, and spintech mufflers(once again id have the y pipe remade). you can also go with a cutout but i think theyre over priced. like i said id go the cheapest route, and take the extra 600bucks youll save not buying the magnaflow and get a ls1/6 intake manifold, and the car tuned with a good tire it should go close to flat 13s. good luck with whatever you choose, and if you want search threads i started, i posted a video of my car after removing the mufflers.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have Magnaflow at the time I was looking for a system Borla did not have a setup for a 2006 Monte SS (or i could not find it)... I am happy with my mgnaflows

Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe sometime this summer i'm putting flowmaster 44's on mine. They sound good and i've heard really good things about them

Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
I have Magnaflow at the time I was looking for a system Borla did not have a setup for a 2006 Monte SS (or i could not find it)... I am happy with my mgnaflows
to each his own. i dont think they worth the money at all.

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
I believe sometime this summer i'm putting flowmaster 44's on mine. They sound good and i've heard really good things about them
check out what people say about them on tech. i think they raspy sounding in all the videos ive seen and they dont sound right. flowmasters dont usually sound like that. whats the big difference between the 44s and the 40s? i run the 40s on my 80.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM

I have the Magnaflow catback system and I love it. Best sounding exhaust for the V8 SS, hands down.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the Magnaflow kit too. I got it cheap on ebay. I love it. I have since removed the resonator and have a catless hogan downpipe on the way. It sounds great with the stock cat though. It has a deep rumble and gets loud at WOT.

theshocker7525's channel - YouTube

I know videos only say so much but here is my youtube I have multiple exhaust videos on there if you want to take a listen

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I have the Magnaflow kit too. I got it cheap on ebay. I love it. I have since removed the resonator and have a catless hogan downpipe on the way. It sounds great with the stock cat though. It has a deep rumble and gets loud at WOT.

theshocker7525's channel - YouTube

I know videos only say so much but here is my youtube I have multiple exhaust videos on there if you want to take a listen
Thats pretty close to the sound I am looking for. The SS with stock exhaust doesn't sound bad, just needs a little more lol. How much did the magnaflow system cost you? and did you install it? and if so was it pretty easy?

Quick Reply: Borla vs Magnaflow vs Flowmaster?