Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Best filter shape for sound and size

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Default Best filter shape for sound and size

Hey guys, as of right now I have gone through 2 highflow filters. They are both in almost new condition, but I have been toying around with size and shape for sound. I have a 6 inch cone with an inverted top, that makes a really throaty sound (I personally like this best). I also have a 9 inch cone with no inverted top and it does not make the super throaty noise. I was wondering if anyone else has used one with an inverted top, and if that is the reason it gives it that nice throaty sound other than a stupid whistling turbo noise. I noticed the k&n kit for our cars comes with this filter (RF-1040). I like the idea of an oval filter, because it looks like its surface area is much larger. I was wondering if anyone went from cone to oval, and what difference it made in sound. I noticed even the smallest subtlies in a modded car can make a huge difference, so let me know!
Ryan

Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Default RE: Best filter shape for sound and size

I don't really pay attention to what is out there. I went to Advanced Auto Parts, showed them my Wizaired CAI (as they didn't offer filters at the time), and just installed the biggest ***** they had for K&N. It's like a 9 inch oval about 6 inches long. I take a pic on my lunch and post it.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:24 AM

Here's a quick shot of my CAI and K&N Air filter.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 AM

i have a very large cone filter. I hear people arent very happy with their filters and that they dont sound rly loud. (ones that look like yours 04 intimidator) Mine is loud as **** and i think the surface area is too big on yours for my 3400 and possibly even your engines. I have roughly 1/3 less surface area (i did a quick calc on ur filters specs)and i think since mine is sucking from a smaller area its making more throat and less whistle than it would from a huge filter. I am going to buy a huge filter like yours and give it a try, if it sounds crappy my friend has a 5.9L dakota who would be itching for a huge filter lol

Old 05-08-2007, 01:17 PM

I don't know if surface area is really a factor unless it is a matter of not being able to fit in a space designated for the filter. The bigger the filter, the better, you want to be able to get as much air into the engine with the least amount of restriction.