Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

BEST CAI, show me yours!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I basically put it on right after I got the car so I really don't know what gas mileage the car got before. All I know is that I was getting around 19-20 and I was happy cause the car that I had before this one - an 06 Mini Cooper S - I was only getting 23-24mpg with the same type of driving - it was still winter and that was before they switched over to the "summer grade" of gasoline. With the downpipe, the CAI and the exhaust I noticed about a 1 - 1.5mpg improvement in gas mileage. I will check it again on my next fill up to see if the new PCM changes it.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Here are a couple more. WMIGP club:
More Wizaired:

And this nice homemade unit from PVC pipe:

This from the W Body Store for $200. This is nice, also. I want to see one on a L67.
http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...tem-p-63.html#

Last edited by RocknSS04; 07-30-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Here's a Speedbuilt unit from PFYC. It has 2 variations, either the shorty intake with the cone:

Or the fenderwell unit, with the secondary pipe:

Not to sure I like the idea of pulling a wheel and inner fender to get to the air cleaner to clean it, but maybe it's not that bad. NICE unit tho!
And then there is this link from another forum that tells about a homemade fenderwell intake:
http://www.grandprixforums.net/fwi.php

TDCRacing Fenderwell Intake:

And Craig's List for $40 in St Loius

Last edited by RocknSS04; 07-30-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM

More. Here is a MSP box that has been wrapped:

Unwrapped:

Homemade:

More:

Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 PM

So where do we go from here? 1st, I'm going to give some opinions, and that's all they are. What I don't like, and what I do. And that's where I'm going to start, with what I don't like.
1. Factory bellows. They add friction. They are there to add flexibility to the factory intake to get to the filter. It needs to be replaced along with the box, ESPECIALLY on S/C cars not stock.
2. Short intakes with no heat shields. Hot Air Intakes. That's why people are going to fenderwell intakes, to get away from the heat.
What I DO like:
1. Smooth intake tubes. The smoother inside, the better.
2. Short intakes WITH enclosed boxes and cone filters.
3. Fenderwell intakes. I'm not convinced I want one. And I believe the smoother the better, as stated before.
4. Insulated cold air boxes. (I want to insulate my K&N. The sheet metal gets hot.)
So what's the worst intake on here? That's an easy one.
This happens to be a Speedbuilt unit, but ANY short, unshielded intake is only sucking in HOT air. Without doing a dyno study, I believe that a stock factory box is a better intake on a hot day that this. (IMO).

So what's the BEST? Unfortunately none of the aftermarket units are THE best, otherwise everyone would have it. Why not? Who knows! The best:
I like this, the Wizaired with duct replacing the bellows:

And this:

And the Thrasher with duct:

And this:

Next would be smooth fenderwell units. Downside to the fenderwell is the length, and the available intake from the area behind the headlight, which most if the boxes use, along with the shielded K&N.
Nice:

And this:

BUT! There is NO way I can knock the low cost, HIGHLY effective full flexible duct and cone filter intakes. You just can't beat the efficiency/$$$ and easy of installation of a system like this:

Silverbullitt has a FABULOUS car. And I no way want to knock his work. BUT, I would be interested in seeing what a car with 300+whp would do on a dyno test of several intakes, and at several temperatures, using a smooth duct on a box like a Wizaired for $300, vs. a cheap and easy, but WAY better than stock $50 fenderwell unit.

I'm not trying to criticize anyone here, and the opinions given are just that, as I have no facts to prove anything. I wanted to see some CAI systems, and to show what is available. You can build a nice system with a cheap cone filter and parts from Home Depot, or McMaster-Carr, or go custom with something from Spectre Performance, or get a basically bolt on box such as the Wizaired, Thrasher's, CAI's, or the uncovered K&N with a smooth tube and cover it as I did.

But I DO have one fact: I put the 1st 1,000 miles on my Intimidator SS, and averaged 22.5 mpg. Then I installed the K&N CAI and jumped to 24.5 and stayed there, a gain of a solid 2.0 mpg. I've driven 108,000 miles since then. 108,000 / 22.5 = 4,800 gallons of gas. 108,000 / 24.5 = 4408 gallons, a savings of 392 gallons of PREMIUM gas. As $3.00 a gallon, that's a SAVINGS of $1,176!!!!! And THAT has paid for my $300 K&N CAI by FOUR TIMES!!! Performance? Sure it helped, but on cruise control, you can't feel the performqnce. $1,176 you can FEEL!

Any questions about WHY you need to replace your factory air box?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

wayne great info and pics, thanks! i will be putting one in as soon as the funds become available! there are some very ingenious ways for a cai that people have posted! this is by far the best post i've ever seen!! thanks

Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 AM

Wayne- one thing I will add on about the JMB fenderwell intake (listed on W-body store) there have been some reports that it's acually a tidbit too long on some of the lengths, and the filter may actually push out on the fender itself.

the other possible downside is that you may need to clip the inner fender bracing to install the FWI kits.

I dont mind the home-brew setups, but I'm an asthetics person to a point, and I want to make sure it looks good, too.

On some of the home built systems that use flexible hose, I also wonder how much the shape of the flexible tube affects the airflow.

I think I am leaning towards the TDC FWI at this point for the Monte. ...if I decide I want to go a differnet route (K&N kit or SLP) the TDC kit will go on my GTP so i can get rid of the HAI that the previous owner installed--It's killin my engine temps in hot weather heavy trafic.

-- also, note that I think the Wizaired has been updated with smooth inlet duct vs the silver duct pictured above. they mention it on their site, but dont seem to have an updated picture.

I may have mentioned this earlier, but I'm somewhat concerned with mounting the PCM after changing out the airbox, especially if I do a FWI, as the K&N and SLP boxes have mounting spots for the PCM. The Wizaired does kinda also, but it's just a bungee strap attached to the bottom of the airbox... I want to be able to fasten down the PCM properly, so I have to be able to mount a PCM near the stock location. (Blazer PCM tray fits the PCM and will fit in the stock spot) Just have to take that into concideration also.

Last edited by Toasty; 08-02-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Ive hot a HAI. SOunds amazing and runs great when its cool out!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RocknSS04

But I DO have one fact: I put the 1st 1,000 miles on my Intimidator SS, and averaged 22.5 mpg. Then I installed the K&N CAI and jumped to 24.5 and stayed there, a gain of a solid 2.0 mpg. I've driven 108,000 miles since then. 108,000 / 22.5 = 4,800 gallons of gas. 108,000 / 24.5 = 4408 gallons, a savings of 392 gallons of PREMIUM gas. As $3.00 a gallon, that's a SAVINGS of $1,176!!!!! And THAT has paid for my $300 K&N CAI by FOUR TIMES!!! Performance? Sure it helped, but on cruise control, you can't feel the performqnce. $1,176 you can FEEL!

Any questions about WHY you need to replace your factory air box?
Gotta love it when someone does your math homework for you! Good post. Unfortunately most will never notice the improvement taking more advantage of the power gain.

I only got my WizAired in May Toasty. I'm pretty sure they haven't changed ducts. I would prefer a smoother duct, which would look better and probably flow better, but these ones a well insulated. They are thicker walled then they appear and not really that flexible. Its actually mostly silicone.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 AM

Again, there is some assumptions going on with the bellows not being efficient. The ONLY way anything can be proven is by doing a dyno pull. I think I'll contact ZZP and see what they have for info on this. Looking for facts now. No more opinions.

Quick Reply: BEST CAI, show me yours!