Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Another exhaust set up ?.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Default Another exhaust set up ?.

I KNOW U GUYS HEARD THIS ALL BEFORE...I JUST GOT MY MONTE AND IM LOOKING 4 A DEEP RUMBLE. I KNOW EVERYBODY SAYS ITS SOO HARD TO GET A DEEP RUMBLE ON THE 3.8S AND IT''ll SOUND LIKE A WEEDWACKER ON COCAINE. BUT I WENT TO YOUTBE AND TYPED IN 02 MONTE CARLO EXHAUST AND THERE AN INTIMIDATOR THERE WITH FLOWMASTERS AND IT SOUNDS SICK...I WAS WONDERING WHAT ARE UR THOUGHTS ON FLOWMASTERS...LEANING TOWARD THE SUPER 40 AND PUTTING IN A NEW DOWN PIPE AND WIZAIRED INTAKE....NEED HELP

Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

they sound okay at idle but around 2500-3000rpm+ no matter what u do they dont sound the best. also if u delete the resonator it will be louder but very raspy were in case you were wondering. i have the flow master super 40s on mine with no resonator and no cat but i just run with the cutout open (open down pipe) because thats what sounds the best and performs the best for the turbo

Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM

i know the recipe, but it's a PITA, and also not cheap considering you'll need headers

pacesetter headers, true dual with the front bank piped out the passenger side and the rear out the driver side, the closer you can get to equal length from the 6 exhaust ports to their exhaust tips the better it will sound, use the flowmaster mufflers, and find a way to tuck a res on each pipe

also do NOT do an x-pipe or it will negate the effect of offsetting the lengths, the idea is to eliminate the rasp caused by the front 3 being farther from the tailpipe than the rear 3

i may be making my own setup like this over the summer, but i have SLP's so it wont be as easy as the pacesetters that are already setup for it

my exhaust the way it sits (slp headers no cat and corsa catback) sounds awesome and low at idle, quiet going down the road, and loud as hell when i'm in it, but at high rpm it does sound like a psycho honda
here is a 5600rpm flyby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXG2rkgpXQ

Last edited by 2003L67SS; 04-17-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2003L67SS
i know the recipe, but it's a PITA, and also not cheap considering you'll need headers

pacesetter headers, true dual with the front bank piped out the passenger side and the rear out the driver side, the closer you can get to equal length from the 6 exhaust ports to their exhaust tips the better it will sound, use the flowmaster mufflers, and find a way to tuck a res on each pipe

also do NOT do an x-pipe or it will negate the effect of offsetting the lengths, the idea is to eliminate the rasp caused by the front 3 being farther from the tailpipe than the rear 3

i may be making my own setup like this over the summer, but i have SLP's so it wont be as easy as the pacesetters that are already setup for it
even with that you'll have rasp, it's inevitable.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
even with that you'll have rasp, it's inevitable.
it can be done, seen it done on a 3.8 camaro, sounded awesome like small v8

all that needs to be done is equal length matching

Last edited by 2003L67SS; 04-17-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM

thanks guys, but heres the thing....i googled pacesetters and i heard nothing but bad stuff about them..i know headers is where it all starts from but dont have the loot for the good stuff...i tried looking for speed daddys on ebay, but it looks like i cant find it...so basicly if i dont do the headers no matter what its gonna sound like honda

Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2003L67SS
it can be done, seen it done on a 3.8 camaro, sounded awesome like small v8

all that needs to be done is equal length matching
I trust you didn't hear it at high RPMs then, they just don't sound good, regardless of what is done.

Originally Posted by wutwut25
thanks guys, but heres the thing....i googled pacesetters and i heard nothing but bad stuff about them..i know headers is where it all starts from but dont have the loot for the good stuff...i tried looking for speed daddys on ebay, but it looks like i cant find it...so basicly if i dont do the headers no matter what its gonna sound like honda
Even if you do headers there's still going to be rasp at higher rpms, it'll sound good at idle though.

here you go:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 PM

thanks 4 the link trewyn15 but i cant find those headers for my year...2002

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 PM

anybody know where i can get some speed daddy headers for my year....and r speed daddy any good???

Old 04-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

They should fit any Monte from 2000-2005 I believe. Can someone conform this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Another exhaust set up ?.