Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default mods this winter

Putting cold air intake on. I like the cai and the zzp can anybody give advice which one is better if you have one Im kind of 50-50 on this, Thanks on any help. Butch

Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a CAI brand on my 2013 Camaro and I really like the build quality and looks.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Cold air inductions for me too. It is really nice.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Agreed

Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015

Thanks guys will do.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Good afternoon... I run the ZZP Wizaird CAI and am really pleased with it... It has been on the car for about 4 years now... Looks and works as good as new...

Old 01-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 PM

There are so many different opinions and theories on intakes. To give example:

On a boosted engine a HAI isn't as negative, because the supercharger will heat
up the air anyway.
This is the exact opposite argument most boosted owners will give, that drawing in cold air is more important to them than it is to a non-boosted car.

The only times the HAIs really show a rise in power, is when they pop the hood and put a fan in front on the dyno. That's artificial since no one drives with their hood open
And no one drives with their vehicle at a standstill on the dyno either.

My 2 cents from having driven many hundreds of different W-Body intake setups is that I've seen reduced performance more-so from restrictive intakes than I have from hot air intakes.

Confining air boxes can be one of them. I remember a Thrasher cold air intake on a 2002 GTP years ago, nice poly carbonate enclosure (better for reduced heat transfer than todays Wizair and CAI Inc aluminum offerings), and the owner had gone to great lengths to seal it from the engine bay with weather stripping on the edges. We picked up MAF frequency (flow) and reduced KR by removing the lid on the box.

I remember another 2000 GTX with an SLP cold air intake, which placed the box in a well sealed box with an inlet to the fenderwell and to the SLP ram air hood. The filter was so confined by the box, his car went from 5* KR to zero KR by switching intakes to a larger air filter on a simple fenderwell intake.

My recommendation is an open cone setup with a large diameter tube, smooth tube (no accordion ribs, meaning don't reuse your OE elbows), and a large air filter. In reality I believe there's is so much air movement in the engine bay, so much air interchange, once you're at a reasonable speed (30mph+ for example), the inlet temps drop close enough to ambient that it's not my primary concern whether the air is "cold" enough, just give the engine lots of it.

Remember that what you're aiming for with drawing cold air is oxygen content, more dense air. Restricting airflow to try and draw cold will restrict the oxygen intake just as much.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Overkill
My 2 cents from having driven many hundreds of different W-Body intake setups is that I've seen reduced performance more-so from restrictive intakes than I have from hot air intakes.

Confining air boxes can be one of them. I remember a Thrasher cold air intake on a 2002 GTP years ago, nice poly carbonate enclosure (better for reduced heat transfer than todays Wizair and CAI Inc aluminum offerings), and the owner had gone to great lengths to seal it from the engine bay with weather stripping on the edges. We picked up MAF frequency (flow) and reduced KR by removing the lid on the box.

I remember another 2000 GTX with an SLP cold air intake, which placed the box in a well sealed box with an inlet to the fenderwell and to the SLP ram air hood. The filter was so confined by the box, his car went from 5* KR to zero KR by switching intakes to a larger air filter on a simple fenderwell intake.

My recommendation is an open cone setup with a large diameter tube, smooth tube (no accordion ribs, meaning don't reuse your OE elbows), and a large air filter. In reality I believe there's is so much air movement in the engine bay, so much air interchange, once you're at a reasonable speed (30mph+ for example), the inlet temps drop close enough to ambient that it's not my primary concern whether the air is "cold" enough, just give the engine lots of it.

Remember that what you're aiming for with drawing cold air is oxygen content, more dense air. Restricting airflow to try and draw cold will restrict the oxygen intake just as much.
Great info Will.

I'm running K&N's 63 Series AirCharger air intake.

Name:  DSC_7734_zps615b994e.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  122.1 KB

Old 01-27-2014, 07:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Overkill
When I was running the K&N HAI kit, which was basically a large tube with a non-restrictive elbow, I was constantly seeing IAT readings of 40* above ambient. Yes on the highway it didn't matter, but any stop and go traffic, etc would just heat up everything and it would hardly ever get back down to near ambient temps.

Maybe some people live and do 100% or even 80% highway driving so that is fine for them, but it was awful for me in the suburbs.

Quick Reply: air intake?