Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Air Filter good 1st Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Default Air Filter good 1st Mod?

Everyone suggests getting a CAI as a first mod. K&N seems to be the brand everyone goes with, 13HP at 5,000RPM, right? But is it worth it? Do you actually feel the difference? Also, are there any torque gains to be had? And lastly, are there any disadvantages to installing a CAI, like lower gas mileage, I heard they're not recommended in rainy areas either, are they too noisy? Thanks for the info in advance.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:47 AM

I think CAI is a great investment, and I'm sure our member's
will post there comments/suggestion.
I like K&N Filter's & they are a proven company
Good Luck & let us know what U decide `Ok
K&N Air Intakes

GUARANTEED HORSEPOWER WITH K&N COLD AIR INTAKES

HIGH-FLOW AIR INTAKE SYSTEMS SINCE 1992

We feel a high quality performance intake system is one of the best dollars to horsepower investments you can make and once again K&N is the clearly defined leader. We built our first kit in 1992 and haven’t looked back since. We currently manufacture over 500 different part numbers and our team of engineers is designing, building and testing new systems constantly.

BOLT-ON HORSEPOWER GUARANTEED!

Our systems are built for horsepower. In fact on the 2003 Ford Mustang SVT® we get an impressive 30 horsepower. If we can’t increase a car or truck's horsepower we won’t build a system for it. It’s that simple. We establish a stock baseline horsepower with our in house dynamometers and then design our air intakes to get the largest horsepower gain attainable without causing a “Check Engine Light” to come on. Our horsepower numbers are not based on the single biggest gain from one particular vehicle but are an average of runs and vehicles. Many times an identical vehicle will perform differently so we want to ensure repeatable numbers you can count on. In today’s market place there are some pretty big cold air intake claims. We don’t make claims; we present the facts, backed up by well documented tests.

HIGH-FLOW TECHNOLOGY

How do we increase horsepower so consistently? It all starts with The World’s Best Air Filter. Even a K&N replacement air filter is limited by the size of the original air box but once we remove the air box we’ve got plenty of room to work with. Now we can apply our High-Flow Technology to a large conical open element air filter, providing more surface area for huge increases in airflow that turn into horsepower you can feel. The oversize air filter also captures and holds more dirt. This increases the service life before a cleaning is required (up to 100,000 miles for air intakes depending on driving conditions).

AIR INTAKE TUBES

Improving the air path between the air filter and the motor is the next big area of improvement. We offer two options for many of our air intake applications. Part numbers starting with 57 or 63 (except Gen 1 and 57i Series) incorporate molded High Density Polyethylene tubes that are black in color. Part numbers starting in 69 or 77 have aluminum tubes and are polished, powder coated or anodized. Our molded Polyethylene systems offer us the most flexibility in air intake design and the best possible horsepower numbers. The aluminum intake systems offer power with a more stylish look. See the K&N's application search for specific horsepower numbers.

50 STATE STREET LEGAL

Many K&N Intake Systems are street legal in all 50 states and include a California Air Resource Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO) number that ensures the kit has been tested to comply with emissions standards. EO numbers apply to the kit as well as the year, make and model it is being installed on. Systems with no EO number are street legal in most states but may not be used on emissions controlled vehicles in the state of California. Use K&N's search by part to see which cold air intakes are CARB exempt for which vehicles.

THE WORLD’S FIRST MILLION-MILE LIMITED WARRANTY

K&N invented the world’s first air filter guaranteed for one million miles. That same warranty applies to our High-Flow Air Intake Systems. Our products are well engineered, built with the finest materials and we stand behind them 100%. View our warranty page for further details.

EASY INSTALLATION

Sound complicated? That’s the great part, our air intake systems are easy to install. A typical installation can be done with a screwdriver, pliers and a ratchet-set in 90 minutes or less! We specifically engineer our kits to use existing factory holes and mounting points, making installation simple. The vast majority of our cold air intakes do NOT require any cutting or drilling.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:17 AM

A CAI is a good mod, but I wouldn't go with K&N. They aren't completely enclosed so once the engine warms up then become a hot air intake and will hurt performance. I recently installed a wizaird CAI on our 04 ss supercharged, which is a true CAI because it is fully enclosed. It still uses a k&n filter, but the box is insulated. Its actually cheaper then the k&n too. I measured temperatures the other day, and at 30 mph after a hot soak it was only 5-10 degrees above air temperature inside the air box while the air in the engine compartment was 150+degrees.

You not really going to notice any power differance but if you plan on modding anymore your going to need it. As far as milage goes, it will improve slightly as long as you don't floor it all the time. The only time its noisy is on a cold start up and when your stepping on it. Other then that is not noticable during normal driving

Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

^ Great answer.

Go with what you want, fully enclosed is always the best. I went for looks, that's why I got my K&N. There are numerous companies with a kit to sell. Thrasher, SLP, Wizaired, K&N... Just stay away from Ebay hot air intakes that are cheap. They are cheap for a reason.

As for a good first mod... I suppose it's a good first. It was my first. But you have to have your goals, and honestly I would probably start with getting the ZZP downpipe first. Get rid of the restrictive stock. You won't feel a difference, but it will help you later on when you want to do more mods.

As for the rain, you don't wanna get the filter wet, for obvious reasons. But any good intake system shouldn't have much of a problem with it.

You will hear it, but it's a good sound, don't worry

Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 AM

mine went exhaust, then about 2 weeks later I went with the wizair. been one happy customer since!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:48 PM

I went with just the K&N airfilter but i got 2 MPH out of it and kept the underhood stock

Old 07-17-2009, 02:20 PM

I did just air filter too, TrueFlow. I just can't justify spending the coin for a nice CAI cause the gains are so minimal. They looks nice, no doubt, but I'm not under my hood enough to justify buying one for looks.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I noticed a SLIGHT gain in responsivness after 4,000 RPM...your gas milage will not go down at all, infact you might pick up 1mpg if you drive it nice. The sound the CAI puts our is AWESOME IMO. It is definelty louder than stock, but sounds wicked to me! I would recommend it for sure.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 PM

K&N seems to be the brand everyone goes with,
As said above, K&N full intake kits are more popular on other cars, on these cars people seem to go more with full enclosed CAI boxes like the Wizair, or do fender well intakes-custom made.

13HP at 5,000RPM, right?
Nope, not even close. Not even at the crank. You'd probably be lucky to get 2-3 whp. Its not a bad mod, but stock intakes aren't all that restrictive anymore (obviously the more you increase airflow with other mods, the more they help)- but at the stock power level, the bulk of the power gain is from eliminating the noise silencing parts of the air box and piping.

Do you actually feel the difference?
Doubtful. I know a lot of people claim to feel it; but I wonder how many could if it was done without their knowledge (and they wore earplugs to keep them from hearing the noise difference).

Also, are there any torque gains to be had?
Its not possible to increase horsepower and have zero effect on torque, the two are related.

like lower gas mileage,
It will be slightly higher, due to less restriction, but a bit more noisey.

I heard they're not recommended in rainy areas either, are they too noisy? Thanks for the info in advance.
Rain isn't a big deal really unless you have a custom fenderwell intake with the filter way down in the fender.

The nosie does go up, but no a whole lot.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 PM

I've read reviews that the K&N filter sounds the best. I'd prefer to go with them because they seem to have the highest gains, and best reliability, but they have the highest price tag, $300! So if I get the K&N it increases hot air in the engine, which then decreases performance and MPG? And the wizair doesn't do that at all? Also, what are the gains for a Wizair CAI and MPG benefits. Thanks.