Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Aftermarket exhaust going bad on my 07 SS.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 AM
1 Year Member
Default Aftermarket exhaust going bad on my 07 SS.

Dealer didnt notify me that my 07 SS i purchased in Dec had a aftermarket exhaust, its starting to go bad and isnt covered under the 3000$ warranty i purchased along with it. Not on good terms with the dealer i purchased from. Ive been taking into my local GM for service. Just pay the 100$ detuctable. I purchased it an hour away.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Stealerships suck. Whats going bad on the exhaust? Time for an upgrade maybe?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 AM

Dealer should not be liable for covering aftermarket parts on a vehicle warranty.
Dealer should not need to tell you what an aftermarket exhaust looks or sounds like.
You were aware that the car had an aftermarket exhaust when you bought it.
Not trying to be a dick, but the dealer is right on this one.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have learned that unless you get a GM extended warrenty the extended warrenty Companys are screwie

I am not sure GM even offers anextended warrenty program any more

I brought an extended warrenty on my 08 Malibu from EASYCARE via the delear. The delaer's hands are really tied when it come to the warrenty. So not really the Deler's fault but the extended warrenty company.

And true after market parts would not be covered by anyone dealer or warrenty company

Feel for ya but that is just the way it works

Last edited by Tadcaster; 04-01-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SSilver
Dealer should not be liable for covering aftermarket parts on a vehicle warranty.
Dealer should not need to tell you what an aftermarket exhaust looks or sounds like.
I second this

Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SSilver
Your not being a dick, its just that you didnt get the whole story, i didnt know there was an aftermarket (Magnaflow) exhaust on the car when i purchased it, nor did they disclose it to me. But its cool, the gorgeous sales lady who sold me the car assured me im going to be taken car of. You guys are quick to jump to conclusions.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by UmmaGumma

Your not being a dick, its just that you didnt get the whole story, i didnt know there was an aftermarket (Magnaflow) exhaust on the car when i purchased it, nor did they disclose it to me. But its cool, the gorgeous sales lady who sold me the car assured me im going to be taken car of. You guys are quick to jump to conclusions.
Thats true guys, some people didnt know there exhaust was different till they heard it against other montes (like myself). Sometimes people arnt as familiar with cars. I can tell aftermarket exhaust 100% of the time now, but it was a different story a year ago.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What's wrong with the exhaust? If it's leaking, any exhaust shop could probably fix it for cheap. Or just get some of that fiberglass crap and patch it yourself.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM
1 Year Member

Okay...i assumed there something going on with the exhaust because it was getting louder, because i have GMPP i figured i would hit em up for a new exhaust. Thats when i found out it was a aftermarket and not covered under the warranty, this is my local gm dealer, i purchased the car an hour away. So, GM service guy tells me it shouldnt have been sold to me with that exhaust because its a Optimum Used car blah blah blah. Basically stirring the pot IMO. He says those exhausts cause wear on the valvetrains due to the increased back pressure thats why there a chance any problems with powertrain will be blamed on the aftermarket exhaust and ill void the warranty, but my sales lady told me they will honour a new exhaust when and if i need one. So its all good. And i dont believe the back pressure story...

Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by UmmaGumma
Okay...i assumed there something going on with the exhaust because it was getting louder, because i have GMPP i figured i would hit em up for a new exhaust. Thats when i found out it was a aftermarket and not covered under the warranty, this is my local gm dealer, i purchased the car an hour away. So, GM service guy tells me it shouldnt have been sold to me with that exhaust because its a Optimum Used car blah blah blah. Basically stirring the pot IMO. He says those exhausts cause wear on the valvetrains due to the increased back pressure thats why there a chance any problems with powertrain will be blamed on the aftermarket exhaust and ill void the warranty, but my sales lady told me they will honour a new exhaust when and if i need one. So its all good. And i dont believe the back pressure story...
yea I'm not believing that back pressure story either. Yea the engine needs a certain amount of back pressure to be really effective. But in all honesty an after market exhaust is going to flow better then the stock exhaust will which will decrease back pressure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the more you decrease back pressure the more HP you get the more back pressure the more torque you get (however minimal it may be). But it shouldn't cause any issue other then that at least to my knowledge

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust going bad on my 07 SS.