Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2006 Monte Carlo SS Cold Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Default 2006 Monte Carlo SS Cold Air Box

will I found one nice looking to for the 5.3L

http://www.coldairinductions.com/W-B...oldAirBox.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/1196/CA3C8D1F5688439EB4B89052D8C6F985.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Default RE: 2006 Monte Carlo SS Cold Air Box

Nice find!!!

Looks like the old Thrasher system....

Old 08-21-2006, 10:43 AM

^^^ beat me to it! ^^

the only things i dont like about those and even the thrasher system is they are not a true cold air system

but anything in place of the stock one will help it breath better i have noticed this alot right after i put mine in but i dont like the heat sheild being aluminum or thin sheet metal as in the thraser sys. to me it defeats the purpouse for having a cold air sys. if the air around the box is heat soaked byt the engine heat anyway.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:36 PM

looking at this system. how much HP will it give? install hard? gas mpg up or down???

Old 10-24-2006, 05:28 PM

got my CAI, Inc. cold air intake box yesterday... installed it yesterday afternoon... wasn't THAT easy... the pins that the PCM mounts to were a little far apart in regards to the holes in the PCM fixture, so that took some force to push it down onto them. Then, when mounting the box to the PCM tray, the left front screw hole didn't directly line up - I had to reach underneath the box and pull/hold the PCM tray bracket out about a 1/4" - 1/2" to get the holes to line up and put a screw in it - and that thing doesn't want to flex at all!! LOL

Also notice that the box is wobbly - doesn't sit in there very tight, since it's only screwed down on the side closest to the engine, and not out near the fender at all - so the box does wobble/rock to the side. Although, I cured that for the most part by using foil/aluminum tape across the top front of the intake box cover to seal up the little gap between it and the front support beam.

I also notice that the coolant hose from the bottle goes through that little notch in the side of the box and around the front of the box as well - but rubs against the sharp aluminum edge in both spots - which would eventually cut through the hose. For now, I put some 3M double sided foam tape on those notches, so the hose is resting against the foam tape instead of the sharp aluminum edges. I gotta look into a more permanent fix this weekend.

Anyway, I had disconnected my negative battery cable for 30 mins., then hooked it back up and took her for a ride.

Car seems to have more pulling power and a little quicker acceleration...

I'd like to see some before and after dyno numbers from someone that has this intake box. ...And that's a huge-*** K&N filter they put in there!! A lot bigger than the one K&N uses on their own intake.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: 06MonteSS

got my CAI, Inc. cold air intake box yesterday... installed it yesterday afternoon... wasn't THAT easy... the pins that the PCM mounts to were a little far apart in regards to the holes in the PCM fixture, so that took some force to push it down onto them. Then, when mounting the box to the PCM tray, the left front screw hole didn't directly line up - I had to reach underneath the box and pull/hold the PCM tray bracket out about a 1/4" - 1/2" to get the holes to line up and put a screw in it - and that thing doesn't want to flex at all!! LOL

Also notice that the box is wobbly - doesn't sit in there very tight, since it's only screwed down on the side closest to the engine, and not out near the fender at all - so the box does wobble/rock to the side. Although, I cured that for the most part by using foil/aluminum tape across the top front of the intake box cover to seal up the little gap between it and the front support beam.

I also notice that the coolant hose from the bottle goes through that little notch in the side of the box and around the front of the box as well - but rubs against the sharp aluminum edge in both spots - which would eventually cut through the hose. For now, I put some 3M double sided foam tape on those notches, so the hose is resting against the foam tape instead of the sharp aluminum edges. I gotta look into a more permanent fix this weekend.

Anyway, I had disconnected my negative battery cable for 30 mins., then hooked it back up and took her for a ride.

Car seems to have more pulling power and a little quicker acceleration...

I'd like to see some before and after dyno numbers from someone that has this intake box. ...And that's a huge-*** K&N filter they put in there!! A lot bigger than the one K&N uses on their own intake.

i agree to all that. i got the same system and had all the exact same issues. contacted the company and they want pics of the install but i never had time to get out there to take the setup apart to take the pics. mine was a BAD fit. there is a gap between the box and support beam like yours and none of the screw holes lined up.. If you ask me i think they should make these units fit and get us NEW ones that fit.. lol

Old 10-24-2006, 05:52 PM

PS.. here is a pic of mine..

Old 10-24-2006, 06:06 PM

see i still dont like the way those fit. i really dont even care for the look of them in there.
To me they dont look like they are goign to help a whole lot on a longer trip or even on a day where it is hot out side and your in stop and go trafic it will become heat soaked and then it will heat the air some as it passes threw it anyway.

to prove the point i was with abuddy with his set up like this and we went for a ride i drove my car he in his. he chose the route and it took us about 30 min. do do full trip the temp was about 15deg. (80degc) anyway long story short his you could not touch from it being hot to the touch. Oh we also had the AC on while doing this.
mine was warm but you could lay your hand on it with out burning your self on it.

that kind of sealed thier fate with me i guess.

good luck!

Old 10-24-2006, 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

see i still dont like the way those fit. i really dont even care for the look of them in there.
To me they dont look like they are goign to help a whole lot on a longer trip or even on a day where it is hot out side and your in stop and go trafic it will become heat soaked and then it will heat the air some as it passes threw it anyway.

to prove the point i was with abuddy with his set up like this and we went for a ride i drove my car he in his. he chose the route and it took us about 30 min. do do full trip the temp was about 15deg. (80degc) anyway long story short his you could not touch from it being hot to the touch. Oh we also had the AC on while doing this.
mine was warm but you could lay your hand on it with out burning your self on it.

that kind of sealed thier fate with me i guess.

good luck!

as for the heat, there is insulation insite the box so it's good. there is a good HP seat of the pants jump.. so i'm happy with that. just not happy with the fit.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:27 PM

glad to hear that the screw alignments weren't just me... but MAN!! my gap between the box and support beam isn't THAT big... probably about 1/8" to 3/16".... actually, the little gap I have looks exactly like the one in the photo on their site: http://coldairinductions.com/files/LS4V8Full.jpg -- if you look closely, you'll see the small gap/space...

And on mine, the aluminum strip part of the box top that crosses between the 2 plastic windows is still centered under the black brace - not like yours... yours looks way off.

Interesting...

Quick Reply: 2006 Monte Carlo SS Cold Air Box