Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2003 Leaking Coolant - Seems to be a gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
1 Year Member
Default 2003 Leaking Coolant - Seems to be a gasket

I have a 2003 SS (3.8) and I seem to be leaking radiator fluid. When I was driving to work i jumped on it and i noticed that it started beeping for high temps. So, i pulled over and let it chill for a bit. Later, I realized I had no coolant. I filled it up with coolant. The next day I smelled something kind of weird when i got out of my car, thought nothing of it. I have come to notice that I am basically out of coolant again (put in a full gallon). It seems the more that is in there the more that I lose (pressure based) It must be a gasket. I do see a small puddle in between the rear intake manifold (the one on top on the back side of the main intake). Is it extremely difficult to replace this gasket?

I am not very saavy in terms of car vocabulary but I am rather good at figuring things out (I work on computers!). I have a father with all kinds of tools and some decent knowledge so I was hoping to get some advice on what all I need to get this done myself and any special considerations. Please let me know if anybody can help! I can provide pictures or anything like that.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can you take a pic of where you're seeing this puddle? It sounds to me like more than a gasket leak at the rate you're losing coolant. Seems more like one of the heater hoses(two black hoses running from behind the alternator along the firewall) has failed and is spraying coolant a a high rate. Do you see any puddles on the ground where you park? If you don't fill it up and run the car for 10 minutes in the same spot and check.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The first thing you need to do is determine exactly where the coolant is leaking from. Then you can plan your line of attack to resolve the problem. Go to the local parts store and borrow a cooling system pressure tester. Top off the radiator with coolant then pressurize the system. Look and listen for coolant/air escaping and when you locate it you've found your leak.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM
1 Year Member

Thank you guys very much for the advice. I will try narrowing down the leak some more. I did just buy a few jugs of coolant so I will go a head and test in the manners you mentioned.

It is losing coolant at quite a rate...so you may be right it could just be a hose that I can fix. God that would be awesome! I will do some more digging around and then fill you all in. Thanks a bunch!