Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

1984 Monte Carlo

Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Default 1984 Monte Carlo

Hello everyone. If everything goes according to plan I'll be purchasing a 1984 Monte Carlo with the 305 V8 (not the SS) with 90,000 miles on it.

I know the basic upgrades for cars are usually the intake and exhaust first. However, I've been browsing Google for an hour now with no results.

Where online could I find an intake and exhaust system for this vehicle?

I don't know if I'd need a cold air intake or short ram intake, or what? A good brand name like K&N maybe?

Also, I was thinking about a dual exhaust system. A good brand name like Flowmaster or anything of the sort. With a nice sound.

I don't know much about cars except the basics. But with an intake and exhaust installed what kind of HP gains do you think I'd see? 5-15 I'm assuming?

To my knowledge to 5.0L 305 V8 comes with 165 HP (150 HP on some websites?), so I'd like a little more punch to the car.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Default RE: 1984 Monte Carlo

[align=center]Hi `Bill, & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]That's really low miles for a 84 Monte.[/align][align=center]We hope that you post some pictures : )[/align][align=center]&[/align][align=center]Sure hope the deal goes good for you![/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Use the MCF search engine for topic's[/align][align=center]of interest, and `if you can't find, post[/align][align=center]your questions.[/align][align=center]Below are some links on reviews on[/align][align=center]the awesome 1984 Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center]Look forward to your future posts.[/align][align=center]Good Luck `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click below links [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z12108/default.aspx[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_34860/tm.htm[/align]

Old 02-21-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks for a the quick reply!

I've searched this forum as well as a few others, but none of the questions I have have been specifically answered.

I'm looking for specific exhaust and intake products and brands that will fit in this car with relative ease, as I don't have much tools or an extensive knowledge of cars. I was also wondering what is the biggest sized rims that will fit on the car without having to make any mods? 18" or 19" I'm guessing, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully the car is in decent condition. It's really cheap so I'm a little weary although the seller said it runs flawlessly. I may be test driving it Saturday so we will see! There is a little rust, but nothing some bondo and touch up paint couldn't fix.

Here are the pictures I've received of it:

Passenger side rust

Why does it look right hand drive!?

Shot of the rims and rear left.

It appears to me an automatic with a vinyl top. Is there anyway to remove the vinyl top? I was also thinking about buying (junkyard?) an SS spoiler for the car as I think it makes the car look pretty sexy.

Aside from new spark plugs, an oil change, and all the basics I will probably be doing minor mods to the car.

I'd probably start with the audio, as I'm an audiophile. Nothing special, head unit, speakers, two amps, one 12" subwoofer. I was a little dissapointed to see the front size speakers were 5" but I assume I can squeeze 5.25"s into them.

Then proceed to exhaust and/or intake then rims.

Also, I was wondering if there was anything I should know about the '84. Good or bad. Any specific engine, tranny or any other problems I should know about?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 02-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Hi Bill,
Thanks for posting your pic's.
Needs a little TLC : ) Let us know `if you get it.
Be Patience, and I'm sure our member's will post
several links, and infor for you to explore.
Check out sites like Summitt Racing, Jeg's Automotive
and sites like JC Whitney for many parts.
The below site has
9809 Items for your 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Browse our part selection below or use our Search by Part Name feature.
[:-]click `it below

Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM

I'd be wherry about the front speaker size. Most 'G' bodies did not come with door speakers and the dash 3.5" speakers were all (4x10's in the back but can be changed out to 6x9's). Also, you did not mention is the car has a 4bbl or 2bbl carb. If yor have a 2bbl the car will wake up with a 4bbl carb and intake setup. Edlebrock and other companies have packages that make it easier to figure out what you will be getting. There are several exhaust options out there for you, whether you want/need to keep the stock setup or go with a true dual setup without a Y pipe. The transmission should be either a 200-4R (if you have 4 speeds) or a 350C.

The biggest bang for the buck on this car would be to pick up a Grand National or Hurst Olds/442 rear (8.5"). These are the strongest factory rears made for these cars. The GN rear has a 3.42 ratio and the Hurst olds/442 rear has a 3.73. There are also Monte SS rears(7.5") with a 3.73 ratio but these are weaker then the others

Old 02-21-2008, 03:25 PM

ther is lots of headers avalible for this car i have headmans on mine now do you have emmisions testing where your from ? if so you may want to go with the edelbrock ones they are a little bit more $$$ but the c go 2 in to 1 for your cat (get a high flow ) and then you can get a cat back system ther is a couple of them avalible as well
i have no emmision testing here and i have headmans true duals no cats for this you need to mod. the crossmember to pass the pipe from the drivers side
so with the exhaust covered let look at the intake edelbrock make intake manifolds that are emissions legal for this car and some that are not
(now not sure about this number )
3706 emmision legal replacement for monte
but a 2601 would make a good intake if you dont have testing
carb is the same if you have testing then you have to keep the carb just do a rebuild and change the jetings
but if no testing then get a edelbrock 600 cfm you will have to change the distributor to a old style vac. advance but it will run better
if you have a healty motor there you should ecpect 50 + hp
good luck with your car !!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the quick and informative posts guys!

ORIGINAL: Bxbootlegger
I'd be wherry about the front speaker size. Most 'G' bodies did not come with door speakers and the dash 3.5" speakers were all (4x10's in the back but can be changed out to 6x9's).
Ah damn, well that sure is a bummer. I'm somewhat of an audiophile. 3.5" speakers and 6"x9"s just won't do! I know I could turn the 6"x9"s into 6.5"s, but hell, the 3.5"s leaves me clueless. I'd have to look at it.

ORIGINAL: Bxbootlegger
Also, you did not mention is the car has a 4bbl or 2bbl carb. If yor have a 2bbl the car will wake up with a 4bbl carb and intake setup. Edlebrock and other companies have packages that make it easier to figure out what you will be getting. There are several exhaust options out there for you, whether you want/need to keep the stock setup or go with a true dual setup without a Y pipe. The transmission should be either a 200-4R (if you have 4 speeds) or a 350C.

The biggest bang for the buck on this car would be to pick up a Grand National or Hurst Olds/442 rear (8.5"). These are the strongest factory rears made for these cars. The GN rear has a 3.42 ratio and the Hurst olds/442 rear has a 3.73. There are also Monte SS rears(7.5") with a 3.73 ratio but these are weaker then the others
I'll make sure to ask the owner whether its a 4bbl or 2bbl carb. I was thinking a true dual setup, but we will see if the time does indeed come.

ORIGINAL: 88ss408
ther is lots of headers avalible for this car i have headmans on mine now do you have emmisions testing where your from ? if so you may want to go with the edelbrock ones they are a little bit more $$$ but the c go 2 in to 1 for your cat (get a high flow ) and then you can get a cat back system ther is a couple of them avalible as well
i have no emmision testing here and i have headmans true duals no cats for this you need to mod. the crossmember to pass the pipe from the drivers side
so with the exhaust covered let look at the intake edelbrock make intake manifolds that are emissions legal for this car and some that are not
(now not sure about this number )
3706 emmision legal replacement for monte
but a 2601 would make a good intake if you dont have testing
carb is the same if you have testing then you have to keep the carb just do a rebuild and change the jetings
but if no testing then get a edelbrock 600 cfm you will have to change the distributor to a old style vac. advance but it will run better
if you have a healty motor there you should ecpect 50 + hp
good luck with your car !!!!!!!
Alright, sounds good. Uh, well I'm not sure about emissions. Being an '84, would it be considered an antique yet? Don't those not have to follow certain emission standards? I will get that all settled if I do indeed buy the car. Again, I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck to give it a little more pick up and go. Being a poor college student with a hefty car insurance payment (two accidents [:@]), serious performance upgrades will probably be off in the distant future.

I'm more concerned about the condition of car. First priority would be fixing the rust spot and sagging headliner. Then audio. Then performance upgrades. I should be test driving it Saturday as long as it doesn't snow too bad. Wish me luck that it's a gold find and not a POS!

EDIT: I also heard that dropping in a 350 was relatively straight forward. Not that tricky. Is that true? My friend has an engine lift so that could also be a possibility in the future.

- Bill

Old 02-21-2008, 05:35 PM

yes it is it's as simple to swap in a 350 than it is to swap another 305 ther all small blocks

Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Veritas

Alright, sounds good. Uh, well I'm not sure about emissions. Being an '84, would it be considered an antique yet? Don't those not have to follow certain emission standards?
In New York City, a vehicle in it's 26th model year (1982 for this year) is a safety only inspection. While they do not test the emissions they are "supposed" to look and make sure everything is still in it's place. On the insurance, there are several companies that offer classic auto insurance. JC Taylor, Hagerty, American Collectors Insurance are a few. Each one has different requirements.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1984 Monte Carlo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.