Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

06 monte ss cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 05:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah I wouldn't worry about changing your MAF at all with the new intake. It's just like spark plug wires, the stock ones will work perfectly fine even with higher HP.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have nothing that I can provide links for, it was a while ago I did this research. But I would not have told you what I read/ heard if I didnt hear/ read it. My dad has done research on MAF's for his Mustang GT, and he found the same information, the stock one is better than the aftermarket ones. However, he still just HAD to try an aftermarket MAF, and guess what. No power gains felt, and the check engine light came on. So he quickly removed it, and all was better once he went back to stock.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 PM

i wouldnt waste my time with it. no one on ls1tech that has gotten one has noticed a gain if anything they have all said that the car felt worse. there are also guys running like 500hp combos that are using the stock maf to my knowledge. i would save the money for a set of headers. as posted in my other thread doug thorley has finished the front one and is half way on the rear one. its only going to be a limited run though so you gotta try and get them while theyre available. there is also a guy there workin on a kit to get the ls6 intake to work. i think those are two places money would be better spent. oh yeah on the k&n thing you gotta keep your eyes open some guy posted one last night and it sold this morn for 160. on ebay. if i run across one ill post the link for you.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 11-24-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
the mass airflow in the car is good and you shouldnt see any gain from using an after market one.i dont know about his maxima but it wont make any difference in your monte carlo.
Ya, I was talking to another LS (motor) owner and he told me the same thing. The stock one is just as good as a aftermarket one.

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Yeah I wouldn't worry about changing your MAF at all with the new intake. It's just like spark plug wires, the stock ones will work perfectly fine even with higher HP.
Ya,I've decided not to worry about the MAF.
Wat's this i hear of "cold" spark plugs? N e one have n e idea's or know why or how it's used with/for the motor.

i wouldnt waste my time with it. no one on ls1tech that has gotten one has noticed a gain if anything they have all said that the car felt worse. there are also guys running like 500hp combos that are using the stock maf to my knowledge. i would save the money for a set of headers. as posted in my other thread doug thorley has finished the front one and is half way on the rear one. its only going to be a limited run though so you gotta try and get them while theyre available. there is also a guy there workin on a kit to get the ls6 intake to work. i think those are two places money would be better spent. oh yeah on the k&n thing you gotta keep your eyes open some guy posted one last night and it sold this morn for 160. on ebay. if i run across one ill post the link for you.
Ya I'm not going to waste my time on a MAF
Wat's so good bout the LS6 intake....that it's able to suck in more air or more "air flow"?

I was just looking around in a some magazine's and found a Low Temp. Thermostat(for heating purposes for my LS4)only $29.99

Ya,i plan on getting some full cap back magnaflow's or flowmaster's not too sure which one is going to sound meaner LoL
Then onto the header's!

Damn $160!!! That was a steal. I am leaning towards the other one that i was shown though cuz i like the way it has a box around it and it also has this aluminum type shield around it as well. Plus it's less than the K&N and right around that 160 range.

BUT EITHER WAY IF U DO FIND A GOOD ONE...PLEASE POST THE LINK

I am also looking into header's as well because the stock one's are getting pretty rusty

Old 11-26-2009, 02:23 PM

the ls4 intake manifold has a oil sender that runs right through the path of the incoming air. the other ls manifolds dont. its a huge power killer. i dont think you will notice any difference from a lower temp thermostat. on the whole exhaust thing. i bought the magnaflow and the only nice thing about it was that the resonator and the mufflers look nice. it was to quiet for me personally. the flowmasters sound good as long as you dont remove the resonator. i posted a thread on this where i removed the mufflers i think it sounds good and it would be cheaper then either exhaust set up. headers are going to make the car louder and definitely be an improvement in performance over the manifolds. good luck heres the link to that thread.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16312

Old 11-26-2009, 06:19 PM

thats wiered about the maf throwing codes being an aftermarket maf i have a mustang that has a after market maf as well as my monty. i kind of needed a new maf for both cars and with a cold air intake on my mustand i did noticed a performance gain.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:44 PM

the ls4 intake manifold has a oil sender that runs right through the path of the incoming air. the other ls manifolds dont. its a huge power killer. i dont think you will notice any difference from a lower temp thermostat. on the whole exhaust thing. i bought the magnaflow and the only nice thing about it was that the resonator and the mufflers look nice. it was to quiet for me personally. the flowmasters sound good as long as you dont remove the resonator. i posted a thread on this where i removed the mufflers i think it sounds good and it would be cheaper then either exhaust set up. headers are going to make the car louder and definitely be an improvement in performance over the manifolds. good luck heres the link to that thread.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16312
Ya saw the vid's the second vid is WAY BETTER expect for that crack part :p
I just want to keep my motor running cool since i live in Texas that's all. I don't wanna go dyno it one day n it b 100 degrees n not a have sum type of lower or cooling system type thing lol
Originally Posted by monte07
thats wiered about the maf throwing codes being an aftermarket maf i have a mustang that has a after market maf as well as my monty. i kind of needed a new maf for both cars and with a cold air intake on my mustand i did noticed a performance gain.
MAF throwing code's? Who sayd that?

The only code's i was thinking about is if i do get that ls intake without the oil sender,the LS4 has a sensor for the oil sender? Wouldn't it throw a check engine light if it does?

Last edited by Mex24x; 11-28-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 PM

idk if your still looking for a k&n but heres a link from a guy on my other forum that is selling one for cheap.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-fr...-drs-sale.html

Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM

CAI it helps produce HP not WHP LoL or maybe just a little.
I'm confused what you mean by this. If horsepower goes up, then wheel horsepower would go up proportionately. They measure the exact same thing from two different points in the system (HP being measured at the crankshaft without a drivetrain, WHP being measured at the tires or hubs).

O ya just to also let you know I'm planning on running Mass Air Flow (MAF) on the CAI as well. I know where to buy one already online 4 a good price & I know 4 the most part it's just a plug & play & it also come's with instructions lol
You already have a MAF sensor, why would you want to change it? If you believe you have modded your car so much that you believe you are outflowing it, then go with a larger GM unit. Look at the 3800 guys that heavily mod; they upgrade from the stock MAF in the TB to an external 85mm stock GM unit off an LS6/LS2. Also, you wouldn't really want to have an aftermarket modified one because your factory pcm is tuned to your stock MAF. If you get one that is skewed (either by being a different size, or by having a different design)- then you should technically re-tune the pcm.

I DON'T WANT THAT SHINNY ALUMINUM PIPPING BECAUSE IT GET'S VERY HOT AND LS MOTOR'S ALREADY GET HOT LOL
You do know that intake air temperature really has virtually nothing to do with engine coolant temperatures right? Also, if your LS engine is running significantly over the thermostat opening and fan turn on temperatures, maybe something is wrong with your engine?

Honestly, I wouldn't be that worried about plastic pipe over aluminum. Sure the aluminum heat soaks more, and allows more heat transfer to the inlet air, but at the rate air moves through that tube, and how little surface area there is- I'd bet intake air temperatures aren't that much drastically lower with plastic tube. You really need to focus on only sucking in cold air into the filter- that has a far greater effect than heat picked up travelling through the piping.

Look's like a great box and great intake. Only thing is it look's to b like a Short Ram? I know it say's CAI even on the heat shield lol but even the K&N sit's that close to the motor as well? I thought the K&N one extended a lil further down.
It has to sit closer to the engine because the filter is a good bit longer. Thats not really considered a "short ram" though- thats typically a hot air intake where the filter is either placed directly on the throttle body, or close to it without any heat shielding. I'd bet the intake air temps with that cold air box above are far below the K&N intake. I just installed the K&N on my 07 GXP last weekend (got it cheap, used on the forums)- and there are plenty of places for engine bay air to leak around the heat shield.

As for the MAF do u have any page link's or n e type of fact's to possibly back that up lol not trying to be a dick but i just saw a MAF on my boy's Maxima and he's car picked up quick with just an intake a MAF.
Does your friend have any hard proof such as before/after dyno charts or track times? I've never seen a car gain horsepower just by switching the MAF sensor out. Anything you do to alter your factory MAF sensor is going to goof with your factory tune. Its off enough with the factory MAF sensor (hence part of the reason why people pick up more power from tuning their car with no other mods)- but altering your MAF makes that even worse.

Not too sure if ur local speed shop knows what they are talking bout because MAF a.k.a Mass Air Flow....relocates your sensor and in a way "tricks" it to make it read colder than wat it really is.
You already have a MAF. From what it sounds like, you're talking about an IAT relocation. The MAF sensor itself does not measure temperature at all- it measures airflow. The intake air temperature sensor measures the temperature- and I have seen people use external IAT sensors using a breakout plug on the MAF- is that what you're talking about?

relocates your sensor and in a way "tricks" it to make it read colder than wat it really is. Then make's more fuel pump out or give out more fuel as well as air. Pretty much the system is getting tricked n thinking it's running colder than wat it really is their for it allow's MASSIVE AIR FLOW AND FUEL
If you want to trick it to read way colder- you can just plug in a resistor in place of the IAT- you can tell the car its always -20* air (or whatever value you want). This will skew fueling, and add timing, until the car realizes its running rich and compensates, and starts knocking due to the actual intake air temperature being 100* hotter than your sensor reads. This is how those ebay "chips" work- its garbage.

Then make's more fuel pump out or give out more fuel as well as air
Why would you want more fuel? The car is setup to run at a certain A/F ratio in normal driving (around 14.7:1 which is ideal) and some lower A/F ratio in power enrichment mode (say 12:1 or whatever it is). Why would you want to run richer than that? If you don't have any extra air going in, richening the mixture significantly more will bring power down and waste extra gas. If you really want the A/F ratio changed in PE mode- then you need to find someone with a tuner, and change it to the value you think it should have- that will permanently fix it; although personally, I'd feel pretty confident that GM's engineers probably picked a pretty correct value from the factory.

tricked n thinking it's running colder than wat it really is their for it allow's MASSIVE AIR FLOW AND FUEL
This sounds like an advertisement. How does a new MAF, or an IAT spoof/chip, or even an IAT relocation change the air flow at all? How much air your engine sucks in is going to be the same with any of those 3 mods- heck you could take off everything in front of the throttle body, and it would still suck about the same amount of air, and flow about the same amount of fuel- you need to do actual engine mods to change that, not electronic gimmicks.

doug thorley has finished the front one and is half way on the rear one. its only going to be a limited run though so you gotta try and get them while theyre available.
As far as I understood- they will be selling them normally on the site as well, just at a much higher price. I believe group buy price is about $650, and regular price in production will be just under $1000.

Wat's this i hear of "cold" spark plugs? N e one have n e idea's or know why or how it's used with/for the motor.
A "cold" plug refers to the heat range of the plug- that is its ability to dissapate heat from the tip. You want the tip of the plug to run at a certain temperature- too cold, and deposits build up on the tip, too hot- and the tip can melt (or if its running very hot, it can be a source of detonation). The more power you make, the more heat is generated, the colder a plug you need to get to. It sounds to me like your car is pretty much stock, so stock heat range plugs are fine. If you do a lot of engine mods, then you can start looking into a cooler plug.

Wat's so good bout the LS6 intake....that it's able to suck in more air or more "air flow"?
Better flow inside. It was used on the 400hp corvette. Our factory intake manifold is by far the worst flowing out there of any LS intake because of that neck down just before the TB.

I was just looking around in a some magazine's and found a Low Temp. Thermostat(for heating purposes for my LS4)only $29.99
I really don't see the point- what temperature is that thermostat? Too cold, and the engine is going to be a bare to drive in cold weather. I don't see it making enough extra power to be worth it.

I am also looking into header's as well because the stock one's are getting pretty rusty
lol, I've never heard anyone upgrade from factory manifolds because they're rusty. Cast iron is bound to rust if unsealed, there isn't anything you can do about that. They will never rust through. If you were really just worried about the rust, you could always take them off, have them sandblasted and then coated in a high temp ceramic header coating like jet hot or something.

I just want to keep my motor running cool since i live in Texas that's all. I don't wanna go dyno it one day n it b 100 degrees n not a have sum type of lower or cooling system type thing lol
I really don't see it being that big of a deal- have you ever had problems with your car overheating? These cars were built to operate in all of the extremes of North America- the thing should drive just as well at -20 in Nebraska as it does in +120 in Arizona. The key is that you need airflow through the radiator to keep the car running properly. At a drag strip, or road course- you're going to have the airflow to keep the car at normal operating temperature. Where you have to be careful is on a dyno- you don't want to be doing multiple WOT runs with no airflow through the radiator. That is why every dyno shop I've been to has a big fan to put in front of the car to simulate the airflow through the radiator that normal driving has. Add this to the fans on the car already- and you should have no problem on a dyno with overheating.

If you're really that worried about overheating- then you really need to look into upgrading the size of your heat exchanger/radiator. Just doing little mods like a thermostat or custom fan programmming isn't going to help keep the engine from overheating if the radiator cannot get rid of the heat fast enough. IMO its a waste of money though.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM

man that was a lot of quotes, but i agree.

Quick Reply: 06 monte ss cold air intake