Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

06 monte ss cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Default 06 monte ss cold air intake

So I've been needing to change out the stock intake box because I know with a Cold Air Intake a.k.a CAI it helps produce HP not WHP LoL or maybe just a little. But it also help's the car breath better such as an exhaust system would.

I'm looking to get a K&N Cold Air Intake.
The cheapest i can find is around $290ish from a retailer online & even on e-Bay they are going 4 just as much as well.

I love the fact that the K&N CAI is left at that plastic black because those shinny aluminum pipe's get HOT. O ya just to also let you know I'm planning on running Mass Air Flow (MAF) on the CAI as well. I know where to buy one already online 4 a good price & I know 4 the most part it's just a plug & play & it also come's with instructions lol

Can anyone let me know if that is a correct price for a K&N Cold Air Intake or have any suggestions for a Cold Air Intake???

I DON'T WANT THAT SHINNY ALUMINUM PIPPING BECAUSE IT GET'S VERY HOT AND LS MOTOR'S ALREADY GET HOT LOL

Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 11-23-2009, 07:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would recommend the Coldairinductions CAI that Chris (Monte Carlo 3831) recommended. It used the stock intake tube, and the box itself is made out of insulated aluminum. Great product! And its actually a tiny bit cheaper that $290.00

As for the MAF, the stock MAF that GM uses is more than good enough. I've actually been told by a speed shop that the OEM GM and Ford MAF's are better quality that anything aftermarket you can buy as far as MAF's go.

Can a mod please move this thread? Thanks!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Moved your thread for you.

I agree with the above, the K&N look great, but their heat shields aren't the best like a fully enclosed and insulated box.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Old 11-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Moved your thread for you.

I agree with the above, the K&N look great, but their heat shields aren't the best like a fully enclosed and insulated box.
Thanks for moving my thread. LoL didn't realize there was a specific area for intake's n such

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Look's like a great box and great intake. Only thing is it look's to b like a Short Ram? I know it say's CAI even on the heat shield lol but even the K&N sit's that close to the motor as well? I thought the K&N one extended a lil further down.

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
LoL look's like u found one a bit cheaper. Thanks for the Link

Old 11-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mex24x
Look's like a great box and great intake. Only thing is it look's to b like a Short Ram?
It goes where the box you currently has sits. It's not a short ram because it's not just a tiny pipe with a cone on the end of it and no heat shield. It's a fully enclosed box, with a larger than stock box opening and a cone filter which pulls in way more air, and makes sure all of it is COLD.

The K&N doesn't have the best heat shield (I have one on my 00) You can't beat a fully enclosed box like that.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
It goes where the box you currently has sits. It's not a short ram because it's not just a tiny pipe with a cone on the end of it and no heat shield. It's a fully enclosed box, with a larger than stock box opening and a cone filter which pulls in way more air, and makes sure all of it is COLD.

The K&N doesn't have the best heat shield (I have one on my 00) You can't beat a fully enclosed box like that.
OoooO okay,I'm understanding now what you are talking bout lol
From wat i'm hearing this one u are showing me does seem to b a hell of a lot better than what the K&N CAI offer's cuz the heat shield doesn't seem like much lol

U also said that this CAI take's
"...a larger than stock box opening and a CONE FILTER which pulls in way more air,and makes sure all of it is COLD."
I think i know which CONE Filter's you are talking about. I believe K&N make one them n u can order them for like replacement's n such for not too bad of price

As long as it's not the aluminum/metal pipping CAI lol sound's SWEET!

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Thank's!!!!

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I would recommend the Coldairinductions CAI that Chris (Monte Carlo 3831) recommended. It used the stock intake tube, and the box itself is made out of insulated aluminum. Great product! And its actually a tiny bit cheaper that $290.00

As for the MAF, the stock MAF that GM uses is more than good enough. I've actually been told by a speed shop that the OEM GM and Ford MAF's are better quality that anything aftermarket you can buy as far as MAF's go.

Can a mod please move this thread? Thanks!
Ya,I'm comparing it to K&N CAI and the one Chris a.k.a Mone Carlo 3831 told me about and I'm liking the one Chris showed me

As for the MAF do u have any page link's or n e type of fact's to possibly back that up lol not trying to be a dick but i just saw a MAF on my boy's Maxima and he's car picked up quick with just an intake a MAF.

Not too sure if ur local speed shop knows what they are talking bout because MAF a.k.a Mass Air Flow....relocates your sensor and in a way "tricks" it to make it read colder than wat it really is.

Then make's more fuel pump out or give out more fuel as well as air. Pretty much the system is getting tricked n thinking it's running colder than wat it really is their for it allow's MASSIVE AIR FLOW AND FUEL.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM

the mass airflow in the car is good and you shouldnt see any gain from using an after market one.i dont know about his maxima but it wont make any difference in your monte carlo.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
the mass airflow in the car is good and you shouldnt see any gain from using an after market one.i dont know about his maxima but it wont make any difference in your monte carlo.
So for my 06 Monte SS i should just leave the stock one? Cuz aftermarket is not going to do n e thing for me but just have an aftermarket instead of OEM part lol

Quick Reply: 06 monte ss cold air intake