Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

03 ss monte carlo exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
hahahaha i wish, but sadly it is impossible to get these to sound like a v8 at high rpms... unless you can get ahold of Mr. Potter

i'm not saying v8 sound is possible, just that you can make the fwd 3.8 sound beautiful in its own way with a little custom exhaust work

Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 PM

Apparently none of you have listened to a grand prix gt, both of my brothers grand prix gt's sound great with the stock exhaust, funny because my older brothers 02 grand prix gt has the exact same exhaust as mine and his sounds entirely different. You can't hear the monte carlo ss at idle.

Oh and 03l67ss what moron would put them in backwards? My brothers hasn't been touched, and I dont think my exhaust has either. It sounds terrible though. Like, I like my car until I realise it makes as much noise as a prius. The engine makes noise obviously, but like I said when the car is idling I can't here it at all, and the exhaust barely get's any louder when you rev it.

Last edited by brendan127; 04-26-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by brendan127
Apparently none of you have listened to a grand prix gt, both of my brothers grand prix gt's sound great with the stock exhaust, funny because my older brothers 02 grand prix gt has the exact same exhaust as mine and his sounds entirely different. You can't hear the monte carlo ss at idle.

Oh and 03l67ss what moron would put them in backwards? My brothers hasn't been touched, and I dont think my exhaust has either. It sounds terrible though. Like, I like my car until I realise it makes as much noise as a prius. The engine makes noise obviously, but like I said when the car is idling I can't here it at all, and the exhaust barely get's any louder when you rev it.
I have heard the Grand Prix GT's in stock form with stock exhaust, and for the 3800 V6, that's about as good as they sound. And even that exhaust note is a little debatable. With this engine, the quieter it is, the better. They do not sound good at WOT with an aftermarket exhaust system. Only way it'll sound mean is with a turbocharger, a supercharger whine, or maybe a Cam, but I haven't heard a cammed 3800 in a long time.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My brothers '02 Grand prix GT has the EXACT same exhaust set up as mine u-bend and res and cat and everything, and yet you turn his on and it gives a deep growl and it's fairly loud. Turn mine on and all it does is queef -_-
Maybe it has something to do with the mufflers? If you look up the exhaust system for both cars they use the same resonator but different part numbers are shown for the mufflers. Unless the hangers are different (and that's the reason for different part numbers) why would they offer a different muffler when they could have coverage with 2 parts instead of 4?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Frosty LS1
I have heard the Grand Prix GT's in stock form with stock exhaust, and for the 3800 V6, that's about as good as they sound. And even that exhaust note is a little debatable. With this engine, the quieter it is, the better. They do not sound good at WOT with an aftermarket exhaust system. Only way it'll sound mean is with a turbocharger, a supercharger whine, or maybe a Cam, but I haven't heard a cammed 3800 in a long time.
Correction you have not heard my monte's mufflers.. You say they can't sound good, but then again all of your opinions on sounding good I have found to be debatable, the video I posted of the monte with summit racing glasspacks i thought sounded good.

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Maybe it has something to do with the mufflers? If you look up the exhaust system for both cars they use the same resonator but different part numbers are shown for the mufflers. Unless the hangers are different (and that's the reason for different part numbers) why would they offer a different muffler when they could have coverage with 2 parts instead of 4?
Idk maybe.. but 03l67ss over here is saying they are the same.

Last edited by brendan127; 04-26-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Frosty LS1
even the supercharged cars at WOT dont sound the greatest, the best sounding 3800 is a cammed turbo car. i run my stage 5 turbo cam cartuning kit open dp (way to loud for a daily driver) and its one of the best i have heard so far. but even a cammed turbo car running through the whole exhaust dont sound that great..... thats just the nature of the 3800 they really sound like crap stock engine with aftermarket exhaust, although the more you do to the engine the better it will sound.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM

I'm uploading a video of my exhaust right now.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

my turbo monte, stage 5 turbo cam, ported heads, intercooled cartuning turbo kit, open dp, and a whole lot more....

walk around video:

40mph-90mph pull:

drive by:

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 PM

Sounds good at low rpms, raspy at higher... I guess Ill upload a video of mine tomorrow since everyone else is lol. I have an old video but I didnt rev it much...

2002 Monte Carlo SS ZZP Downpipe, No Muffler - YouTube

Quick Reply: 03 ss monte carlo exhaust system