General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Would this be worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 AM
1 Year Member
Default Would this be worth buying?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1502703244.html

I already have a 2001 SS, but I'd been thinking that maybe it would be worthwhile to garage this car for the winter and take it out every once and awhile as a collectors item. The thing is, I don't know if it would ever be of value with that kind of mileage. Personally though, it's my favorite year of the pace car.

Thoughts?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would buy that for the interior and then drive it as a daily driver lol

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The car itself is a good deal, if you were just looking for a car to drive. It might be worth something in 40 years...but I would not count on it being worth tons of money anytime soon.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 AM
1 Year Member

The only plus I can think of, if it's unlikely to gain value is my ability to avoid our emissions test and collector plate it, that way I can actually do some work on it to get it going. In my county they're sticklers about keeping the cat' and not modifying anything in any way that would raise factory emissions.. unless it's collector plated, in which case you're granted freedom as long as you don't surpass 10k a year (I think)

It'd be nice to transfer out the interior but honestly I don't think it'd be worth it when I could go to a junkyard haha.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Spend the money you're thinking about spending on this craigslist car and put it into your current car. You could easily get your 2001 supercharged and probably get the high sport appearance package installed with extra left over. I'd say it is not worth it.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM
1 Year Member

Hey I don't know if I misread that actually but hey a daily driver pace car would be sweet.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Spend the money you're thinking about spending on this craigslist car and put it into your current car. You could easily get your 2001 supercharged and probably get the high sport appearance package installed with extra left over. I'd say it is not worth it.
I definitely see where you're coming from. I've thought heavily about the supercharging, along with various improvements and it's definitely a good way to go but my main foe is salt and I know there will come a time when I will just have to stomach it and drop some serious money on rust repair as it's a daily driver. I just hate the idea of watching any investment I make in a daily driver get owned by salt (especially aftermarket exhaust parts and the like). I do wash my car on a weekly basis to keep it rust-free but I have this thing about possibly investing thousands into a car I put through an Ohio winter.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 AM
1 Year Member

That and like I said, if I had a second monte it'd be easier to actually do some serious improvements to it than my current car. I don't even think I could get plated (normally) if I were to supercharge it thanks to the tests in my county. I have to have a "daily driver" in my name to get another car collector plated in Ohio, and any car that's discontinued or limited is an easy one to plate. I probably should have kept my Malibu, but I didn't think the monte would spark that much of an interest I guess considering I'm already in possession of a 4th gen Firebird Formula. But, it has, and I really like my monte, almost better than the f-body. Emissions testing = Meh.

Sorry for the triple post.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i dont think there will be any real value gains, you could potentially drop and new engine and tranny in it, but it is a beautiful car so if you keep it looking like that and dont put many miles on it i think i can see the price going up a bit, i know if i would have seen that when i was car searching, i would have taken that for the extra 500

Old 12-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Pace cars look so good.
I would get it, pfft, my car is my daily driver.
I know our cars our lovely and we would want them to last forever, but i get more out of it by driving it everyday than just being able to drive it on weekends or special occasions.
What good is having a great car if you can only show it on weekends lol,
Daily driver all the way!

Last edited by Jomao_o; 12-29-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo fix

Quick Reply: Would this be worth buying?