General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Why did you ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Default RE: Why did you ?

My first Monte was a 79 Street Stock race car. Since then I have raced several of the Monte body styles in the Late Model class (all fiberglass bodys). I have owned two 99 LS Montes (ones for sale here - All Forums >> Sponsoring Vendors & Classifieds >> PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds >> 99 Slammed LS) and have a brand new 06 SS which is as much fun to drive as the old 79 race car!

Old 08-06-2006, 03:36 AM

Hey guys, Well my story is kinda funny how I came across my monte. . .

It all started about 4 or 5 months ago (I'm only 19) and I've always loved monte carlo's since I was little. . .the older body style and the big 5.7 litre engines in the SS's always caught me as being "cool". I got my first car when I was 17, it was a 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. It was in pretty good shape for its age. It had stock hubcaps on it, and a minor dent in the driver side fender. SO not to bad for a first car. I got it all cleaned up really nice, repainted it white (original color, it was fading) and slapped some rims of it and tinted the windows, got the sound system going and got an intake. Never made it past that though. . . .about 5 months ago my best friend and I were driving down a main road and some guy happend to run a stop sign as I was passing by. Nailed me dead center in the driver side of the car. Spun me around 180 degree's and 103 feet down the road. Yes we were both ok, we were wearing our seat belts, but needless to say when I got out of the car (had to climb out passengers side) I almost killed the guy. I was furious. Didn't touch him though. Can't afford a law suit at my age. But I went to the hospital for a couple bruised ribs and all was well. Got a nice check from his insurance company for my totalled car. So I persude to start shopping for cars. . .and my friend suggested "why not look for a monte carlo since you love them so much". . . .well I did just that.

I didn't have alot of money to play with, so I looked hard. . .and low and behold did I get lucky. Found a used 2000 monte carlo LS, Blue metallic with black interior, sunroof and great condition leather seats with one previous owner. Talk about lucky. So I bought it. Kinda high mileage but I got what I could afford. And 5 months later I'm still lovin' it. Yeah, a few problems here and there. But nothing to dramatic. I'm holding back on expanding on the monte for now, because I'm putting my bank aside for those new camero's coming out. I told my girl I'd own one, and I won't let anything stop me.

And Thats my story of why I bought my monte!
Happy driving to all the fellow monte owners, and most of all WEAR YOUR SEATBELT. It saved my life, and it could yours. Keep on sportin the chevy's!

MonteriderLS out.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:11 AM

Kindred spirits, man...I got my 05 LT as a result of a car crash too. What the hell's wrong with people sometimes?

Great story. My wife is crazy over the new Camaros too. She wants me to trade my monte for it in '08 - '09.

We'll see about that!!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Brian, (MonteRiderLS), super write up.
Thanks 4 sharing.
The new Camaro is a `Sweet Ride, hope
your dream machine comes `true!
Safe/Happy miles 2 U. `Space

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/C8C1180AF96445389F1410E907FFBD58.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM

I was stuck driving my mom's Durango after I got my license and was desperate for my own car. My dad was going to sell me his '99 Dodge Ram SLT once I got a job. However, my uncle was planning on surprising my aunt with a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee for Christmas, and planned on trading in my aunt's Monte. He was going to get $11k for it, but once I found that he was going to trade it in, I called him up and asked him if he could hold on to it for a little while longer. I had always loved that car since they had bought it brand new back in '00 and it only had 27k on it so I knew I had to have it. I happened to have $10k saved up since I had a mutual fund started when I was young, so I wrote my uncle the biggest check of my life, and he handed me the keys.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey `James, Thanks 4 Sharing your words
of your Black Bay area `Monte. Post some pic's &
Share.
Safe/Happy miles 2 U.`space

Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 PM

Well, when I started going to school 35 miles from home, my Camaro wasn't cutting it gas-wise and I didn't want to put a ton of miles on it. So I decided to buy a beater 92 Cavalier for a grand with 99k on it. I got hit by a semi once, they totalled the car ($2200 in damage to the driver's rear fender) but it still drove. They gave me $1400 for it. I sold it with 127k on it for $400. Best move ever. Anyway, after finishing most of my school and before starting Volvo training, I decided I wanted something nicer. I had originally started looking at Grand Am GT's, but I didn't relly like the feel of them that much. I test drove a couple Grand Prix GTs, and while I liked the exterior appearance, the interior looked cheap. One day at work I worked on an 01 or 02 Monte SS and I loved the interior- especially the gauge layout. So I found a decent deal on my '01 with 37k on it and I bought it. I've been happy ever since, though I have thought about selling it because I get bored rather quickly with cars. We shall see....

Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 AM

BTW, that ROC is sweet... You don't see many of those these days in half way decent shape.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:12 PM

Thank you

It's true, most of them are in the junk yards or should be in the junk yard. Mine is currently in a garage back home.. I sure miss that car.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I bought mine because it looked different and somewhat rare in SoCal. I've owned it for over a week and have only seen 2 others. Wanted a Vette or a CTS, but the price on the 06's are ridiculously low right now for a Monte. My other option was a fully loaded Cobalt for under 15k.

Back in the 70's and 80's they were all the rave here in L.A. You could customize those cars for days. Now this city is a plethora of SUV's, trucks, and 4 door ricers, beamers, mercedes, Jags, etc. Very few 2 door cars outside of the Hondas. I heard that it is easier to shop at the large number of malls out here with a 4 door because the doors aren't so large and the gals can get their purchases in and out easier.

I'm totally happy with my 2 door "Sports Sedan." The large trunk and back seats suite this 47 year old man just fine.
Once again, whenever you get a car you think is different, you end up noticing thousands of them on the road. It just hasn't happened with the Monte.

Dave V.

Quick Reply: Why did you ?